R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #3526
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by clmbia45
Some pages ago we discussed the use of different steering servos, including the Futaba 9550. There was considerable interest in the use of this servo. I have used it for over a year, and installed it in my 710. After tearing the car down and cleaning it, I noticed that the chassis was scuffed up by the servo. Measuring the 9550 I found it was 1 mm thicker than several standard servos I have laying around, and was rubbing on the chassis. This is probably an area worth looking at when you remove the radio tray.
Jack, I mount my throttle / brake servo below the radio tray. It does scuff the upside of the chassis a little. This is a KO servo but what I find strange is you're also having this with the 9550 servo. Isn't this servo suppose to be low profile and shorter?

Also another note, I believe somebody mentioned here that using the 9550 servos for the steering and throttle / brake will make the chassis balanced left to right !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:07 PM   #3527
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Aussies Go !

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Of course I notice the holes, I made one of them!
You should put your name tag at the fence !
Old 01-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #3528
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Jack, I mount my throttle / brake servo below the radio tray. It does scuff the upside of the chassis a little. This is a KO servo but what I find strange is you're also having this with the 9550 servo. Isn't this servo suppose to be low profile and shorter?

Also another note, I believe somebody mentioned here that using the 9550 servos for the steering and throttle / brake will make the chassis balanced left to right !
I am talking about the vertical dimension between the radio tray and the chassis. My KO Propo PDS-2143FET measures 20.1 mm, so the 9550 is actually 0.9 mm thicker. Servo vibration via the chassis was felt by some to be the reason for servo failures in the Vetec. And all servo manufacturers I am familiar with, use anti-shock mountings to prevent this.
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #3529
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Aussies Go !

Quote:
Yeah, those who are without points or who have not even joined a single race can sit back and watch or make themselves useful as pit marshals !
Hey! Good idea!

D., I nominate you you to be my star pitman OK?
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #3530
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by clmbia45
Some pages ago we discussed the use of different steering servos, including the Futaba 9550. There was considerable interest in the use of this servo. I have used it for over a year, and installed it in my 710. After tearing the car down and cleaning it, I noticed that the chassis was scuffed up by the servo. Measuring the 9550 I found it was 1 mm thicker than several standard servos I have laying around, and was rubbing on the chassis. This is probably an area worth looking at when you remove the radio tray.
Yes, I notice this after 1st cleaning service job. Just like in my 414WCR.
I put a thin teflon tape on chassis where servo hit chassis.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #3531
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Aussies Go !

Quote:
What about us who have not even practised the full track length?
Yeah, like me? Not even 1 lap with the MTX and it really got "planted". The 710 managed to do 3 or 4 laps and then it rained.

This is why I say doing heats again is a good idea.

Quote:
Yeah, the reason I have not gone the full length is because of the bumps. As it is, my car is a little too bumpy in some of the corners on the normal layout.
Lucky you! The reason I havent done it is because I can't see the bloody car its soooo far away!

I think there's a smoother line but you'll need to be precise and your car needs to have a softer and higer set-up.

Quote:
I reckon that a one way is not the order of the day seeing that there are a lot of zig zag bends.
Right but I'm going to try it out next week with the one-way just to see if the times are better.

Quote:
Ummm, I guess I'm not totaly ready then. I have not done a Lola shell for about close to half a year now. Have not practised the full track length. No experience yet with the front solid axle setup on the car !
C'mon ... the race is on the 7th and Monday & Tuesday is a public holiday next week. A lola body is a lot less work to do than a saloon and there's lotsa time to test!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:33 PM   #3532
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jfc_tech
I never tried 1/10 lola before...hmmm interesting...
I never liked the idea nor the look of the lola previously but once you've tried it, especially on a fast track, you'll love it.

At the TT track here in KL, there's some 1:10 guys going as fast as the 1:8th! I can't do that because you need a lot of chuzpah to go head to head with those big guns.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #3533
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by crashed_1
then maybe you should try THIS!!

Wong has it at RM699
Oh man! Why on earth did you show D that?!%# You know very well he's a techie junky (err ...Champion), the guy will do nothing now but play with it all the time and we'll never see him in a race again.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:42 PM   #3534
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Aussies Go !

Quote:
You should put your name tag at the fence !
What did you say in your previous post? Great minds think alike?

Well ... go closer to the far side fence, my name is written in gold ink above one of the missing vertical railing.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #3535
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Aussies Go !

Quote:
D., I nominate you you to be my star pitman OK?
I suddently remembered that I have something to do that day !
Old 01-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #3536
Tech Fanatic

What kind of servos do you guys use for steering and throttle? FOr steering I use the new Sanwa WRX but for throttle I use the cheap Futaba 303 Yes I know I need to upgrade my servo, didnt know the throttle servo makes that much of a differrence
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #3537
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go Aussies Go !

Quote:
Oh man! Why on earth did you show D that?!%# You know very well he's a techie junky (err ...Champion), the guy will do nothing now but play with it all the time and we'll never see him in a race again.
Is that a plot to keep me off the tracks?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:57 PM   #3538
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Lucky you! The reason I havent done it is because I can't see the bloody car its soooo far away!
Ummm, so rumours that you're an old dinasour is true then ?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:01 PM   #3539
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
What kind of servos do you guys use for steering and throttle? FOr steering I use the new Sanwa WRX but for throttle I use the cheap Futaba 303 Yes I know I need to upgrade my servo, didnt know the throttle servo makes that much of a differrence
Some say that the 3003 is sufficient for throttle / brake... Which it is atually. I just feel that a higher torque servo for the throttle / brake is nice to have. If you need a good analog high torque Sanwa servo, go with the VB if you can still find them. 13kg of them.

I use Futaba S9450 for steering and KO 2144 for throttle / brake.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:10 PM   #3540
Tech Fanatic

Hey InitialD,

YEa I will infact upgrade to a better one but I still want to run my car with the 303 for a bit to see how it feels before I go out and but a better one.

I figure you are from Malaysia? Are you Bumi or non Bumi? I use to live there for about a year and half but left October of 2002. I guess we are are on the same time zone.... dont you have work my friend?
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote