MTX 5

Reply

Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 AM
  #1606  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
kmichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: land O lakes,Fla.
Posts: 1,715
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CDS70 View Post
I think if you built a house out of plastic you may have some problems to, particularly when you put nitro in the water pipes.

The chassis may be flexing but is it causing any problems, apart from some people don't like the look of it?

CSO make a 4mm chassis, that should stiffen it up if that is what people are after.
+1
kmichael is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 AM
  #1607  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 759
Default mtx5

i know you all say it is ment to flex but it will brake right off soner or later am i suppost 2 replace it every 2/3 races
greg.dawn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 AM
  #1608  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 742
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Carpenter or metallurgist? Lol....

I would be extremely surprised if the chassis broken because of the flexing. In the case that you are so concerned with it make contact with mugen and ask them.
CDS70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 AM
  #1609  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone heard of anyone making brass engine mounts for the 5 yet?

I think at some point I'll have to figure out how to add around 75g to my car, and if it don't mess with the F/R weight balance too much engine mounts seem a good place to add a bit, thinking of dropping into a machine shop during the week to ask a friend how much to make a few up for me...
Bishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 AM
  #1610  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 742
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Couple of things you can try. Perhaps add another side weight, or behind the tank there are two spare holes in the chassis (if it's not broken). The MRX5 weights fit there nicely. I've had some similar brass weights made for this location.
CDS70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 AM
  #1611  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Max Mugen weights for the stock mount holes are 20g each, so 40g total, and I'd likely need more, sure you can bolt more weight there, or with brass engine mounts I figure you add it there and then possibly need less or able to balance left to right more easily with the stock weight mount points.

It's just one of those things, being that brass mounts could save a lot of other rooting around with smaller weights at various points.
Bishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 AM
  #1612  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (25)
 
shanwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brisbane, Northside
Posts: 811
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Thumbs up weight of brass engine mounts

Mate,
it might pay to calulate the weight of brass engine mounts too
as you might need to add more material too to get the weight up.
if you weigh the AL ones you could do a quick comparison between the SG of AL and the SG of Brass.

SG of brass ~8500 / SG of Al ~2700 = ~ 3.2

so 1 Gr of Al = to ~3.2 Gr of brass for the same size.

shanwright is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 AM
  #1613  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Max Mugen weights for the stock mount holes are 20g each, so 40g total, and I'd likely need more, sure you can bolt more weight there, or with brass engine mounts I figure you add it there and then possibly need less or able to balance left to right more easily with the stock weight mount points.

It's just one of those things, being that brass mounts could save a lot of other rooting around with smaller weights at various points.
add the weight in front of the engine, with the option weights, or add it to the battery side if you have a lipo, it's probably light on the battery side anyway.

you could also buy an extra 20 gram weight and stick it under the tank...

why do you need to add 75 grams? mine was fine with small tires. i added 20 grams on the battery side just in case i came under. from memory mine was just 10 grams over.

there doesn't seem to be many option parts of any value out there for the 5 at the moment...which is strange considering when the 4 came out a raft of bits from after market companies were available almost from the onset.

Greg, no need to freak out man. Set the mesh free without play on the small gear and make sure the 2 speed is not shifting late, also make sure the grub screws on the shoes are set so there is no gap or just .1mm of a gap...you should be fine.

If you are stripping gears like crazy it could also be your clutch setup or the cap that the long screw goes through. either the cap has the hole drilled out not centre or your clutch is set wrong. A dude was at the Nationals and he had stripping issues, it turned out it was the clutch, it was set wrong i think from memory he had heaps of endplay and the large pinion was hitting the large spur gear!
TomB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 AM
  #1614  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by shanwright View Post
so 1 Gr of Al = to ~3.2 Gr of brass for the same size.
Sounds like a good weight gain then to me, I'm not sure you could add as much to the rear engine mount, due to how close the pulley sits, though I'm sure you could add a fair bit to the front, but at that comparison SG you listed, I have a sneaky suspicion just copying the alloy in brass would be enough to get me close to my own goals.

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
why do you need to add 75 grams? mine was fine with small tires. i added 20 grams on the battery side just in case i came under. from memory mine was just 10 grams over.
Mine has been gone from light, to still light, and then lighter, without me really ever looking to even try to be all that lightweight.

Problems could have been choice of equipment, or not, but heavier servos briefly but with a 700mah LiFe that weighed nothing, then to Savox LP's (cause I love em), and up to a 1400mah LiFe, but still light, and now little changes which I forgot will shave weight, cause I'm fitting Micro DSM2 receivers in my cars, and even the fact that I just use the RC4's that I think weigh half what the old personals did.

Every time I have checked my approximate weight, I always seem to be around 1650 grams, or less, at one point I checked my weight using a full shell that had not been cut out yet, with 4 tyres that had half tread left, I could not think of anything I'd left off the scale, yet I was in the 1640 or so range.

So when I say I need 75g, in reality I may need more like 90g depending on my final config, and brass mounts just seem like a stress free way of making weight without a lot of messing around, or worrying something is going to fall off during a heat.


But then, I could just be playing mind games in the long lead up to the Qld's this year...
Bishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 AM
  #1615  
Tech Fanatic
 
Seisick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 845
Default

Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Has anyone heard of anyone making brass engine mounts for the 5 yet?

I think at some point I'll have to figure out how to add around 75g to my car, and if it don't mess with the F/R weight balance too much engine mounts seem a good place to add a bit, thinking of dropping into a machine shop during the week to ask a friend how much to make a few up for me...
end of feb, therell be brass engine mounts for the mtx5 by YBSLOW, im not sure if once pieCE engine mount or two piece but i asked him and he confirmed about it.
perhpas the fact that the x5 is box stock right on the weight limit is the reason to not have many optionals if compared to the x4 and other brands where weight is on the hig side
Seisick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM
  #1616  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (49)
 
Michael_T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,129
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Photos of Pietsch's car yesterday at the pre-worlds.

Hmmmm, interesting stuff on his bench
Attached Thumbnails MTX 5-pre_wc12day1img_1429.jpg   MTX 5-pre_wc12day1img_1430.jpg  
Michael_T is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 PM
  #1617  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Don't get too excited if your just looking at the alloy posts for the main shaft, he had a few of those prototypes with various markings on them at the EC last year, no one ever found out why for sure.

In the first picture, it looks like he has change nothing since the EC.


I'd love to know how he managed to shoehorn the receiver into the small RX box, although I know I could do the same with my Spektrum micro, but I'd not like the tighter fit result in the wiring, and I'm not sure I could put the transponder in the RX bx then either.

It's interesting that I'm preping my car for the first club meet of the year (though that could be a while if it keeps raining like it has), two things I have done that is still on Robs car, one is replace the inner rear top links with steering ones (cause the short ones don't give enough reach with a long link setup), and last night I was grinding a hole in the top deck, cause where Rob ran his battery wire is seriously the best place for it.
Bishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 AM
  #1618  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 759
Default mtx5

im back all i want is to have a good car 4 my grandson he gets realy piss off when he gets beat by it not geting 2 the end of the race he loves 2 finish ahead off the fast red bling things onley tried tight mesh to see what would hapen
greg.dawn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:33 AM
  #1619  
occ
Tech Addict
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 573
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Don't get too excited if your just looking at the alloy posts for the main shaft, he had a few of those prototypes with various markings on them at the EC last year, no one ever found out why for sure.

In the first picture, it looks like he has change nothing since the EC.


I'd love to know how he managed to shoehorn the receiver into the small RX box, although I know I could do the same with my Spektrum micro, but I'd not like the tighter fit result in the wiring, and I'm not sure I could put the transponder in the RX bx then either.

It's interesting that I'm preping my car for the first club meet of the year (though that could be a while if it keeps raining like it has), two things I have done that is still on Robs car, one is replace the inner rear top links with steering ones (cause the short ones don't give enough reach with a long link setup), and last night I was grinding a hole in the top deck, cause where Rob ran his battery wire is seriously the best place for it.
I think that Michael person is commenting on the carbon brace on the pit bench.
occ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 AM
  #1620  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (49)
 
Michael_T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,129
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by occ View Post
I think that Michael person is commenting on the carbon brace on the pit bench.
Michael_T is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service