R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #1456
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,172
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

MUGEN Release New Product for MTX-5
Attached Thumbnails
MTX 5-mu-b0541.jpg   MTX 5-mu-b0542.jpg   MTX 5-mu-t2227.jpg   MTX 5-mu-t2228.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #1457
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 169
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
MUGEN Release New Product for MTX-5
You Have Pm URGENT
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #1458
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 740
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
You Have Pm URGENT
And you have a problem with your keyboard....
CDS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #1459
Tech Fanatic
 
Seisick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 845
Default

that pin replacement tool looks exotic
but with that price id rather use super joint grease
on the pins and at the most, replace the drive shafts after
several seasons of racing,

btw rcmarket page still not fast enought but at least
not slow as before! guess the critics worked!!
__________________
HobbymaniA
GoT MuGeN?
Seisick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #1460
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seisick View Post
that pin replacement tool looks exotic
but with that price id rather use super joint grease
on the pins and at the most, replace the drive shafts after
several seasons of racing
Good suggestion.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
PeterL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #1461
Tech Elite
 
Chickentrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Landsborough, Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 2,142
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seisick View Post
that pin replacement tool looks exotic
but with that price id rather use super joint grease
on the pins and at the most, replace the drive shafts after
several seasons of racing,
What does the pin removal tool do? You'll never have trouble with common design driveshafts like the MTX4, if they are inspected and greased after each day's racing. I would guess that MTX5 driveshafts are the same, or are they a new design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seisick View Post

btw rcmarket page still not fast enought but at least
not slow as before! guess the critics worked!!
Well done!

Kindest regards,
Lars.
__________________
Support your local RC stores - they support our sport!
Social media The empowerment of the small individual to enforce democratic process at the expense of dishonesty.
Chickentrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #1462
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

This tool removes the pins from cvd's and dogbones. After time the pins will develop flat spots on them from when they engage the outdrives from the diff and the wheel axle. Grease helps; but does not stop it completely.
I change mine about every 5 to 6 race days. I've found it can be easily done with a small vice and hammer.


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 12-09-2011 at 05:40 PM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #1463
Tech Elite
 
Chickentrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Landsborough, Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 2,142
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
This tool removes the pins from cvd's and dogbones. After time the pins will develop flat spots on them from when they engage the outdrives from the diff and the wheel axial. Grease helps; but does not stop it completely.
I change mine about every 5 to 6 race days. I've found it can be easily done with a small vice and hammer.


Pass you soon...
Exactly; they should be changed when they are worn, and the tool is basically redundant just as I thought.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
__________________
Support your local RC stores - they support our sport!
Social media The empowerment of the small individual to enforce democratic process at the expense of dishonesty.
Chickentrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #1464
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post
Exactly; they should be changed when they are worn, and the tool is basically redundant just as I thought.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
I have to disagree. If the dogbones are not bent or twisted. I have no problem replacing the pins. For the price of one pair of rear dogbones for the Cap C801 you can repair 20 to 25 used dogbones with new pins. But to each his own. But I do agree; there is an easy way to replace the pins without buying the tool.


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #1465
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,440
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Once you have a tool for replacing the driveshaft pins you wish you bought one sooner.
Since the pins cost next to nothing I replace them very regularly which keeps the outdrives and wheel axles as new. Once you've driven too long with a set of worn out pins you will need to replace the outdrives and wheel axles as well since they will wear out. With worn out outdrives and wheel axles the dog bone or driveshaft will 'catch' and causes the suspension to bind up, which causes erratic handling of the car.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #1466
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Once you have a tool for replacing the driveshaft pins you wish you bought one sooner.
Since the pins cost next to nothing I replace them very regularly which keeps the outdrives and wheel axles as new. Once you've driven too long with a set of worn out pins you will need to replace the outdrives and wheel axles as well since they will wear out. With worn out outdrives and wheel axles the dog bone or driveshaft will 'catch' and causes the suspension to bind up, which causes erratic handling of the car.
+1
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #1467
Tech Elite
 
Chickentrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Landsborough, Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 2,142
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
I have to disagree. If the dogbones are not bent or twisted. I have no problem replacing the pins. For the price of one pair of rear dogbones for the Cap C801 you can repair 20 to 25 used dogbones with new pins. But to each his own. But I do agree; there is an easy way to replace the pins without buying the tool.


Pass you soon...
Sorry I didn't make myself clear; I meant pins should be replaced when they show signs of wear, that's what I meant by inspecting them after each race day. We often replace pins, but it's also important to replace anything else that shows signs of wear or damage. Cleaning them and fresh grease prolongs the life of them significantly. Broken driveshafts are a common cause of failure, so it's important to maintain them as we obviously both agree to.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
__________________
Support your local RC stores - they support our sport!
Social media The empowerment of the small individual to enforce democratic process at the expense of dishonesty.
Chickentrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #1468
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post
Sorry I didn't make myself clear; I meant pins should be replaced when they show signs of wear, that's what I meant by inspecting them after each race day. We often replace pins, but it's also important to replace anything else that shows signs of wear or damage. Cleaning them and fresh grease prolongs the life of them significantly. Broken driveshafts are a common cause of failure, so it's important to maintain them as we obviously both agree to.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
I see... said the blind man


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #1469
Tech Fanatic
 
Seisick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
I have to disagree. If the dogbones are not bent or twisted. I have no problem replacing the pins. For the price of one pair of rear dogbones for the Cap C801 you can repair 20 to 25 used dogbones with new pins. But to each his own. But I do agree; there is an easy way to replace the pins without buying the tool.


Pass you soon...
Will you care to share how to replace wo the tool, hudy also makes one. I believe
__________________
HobbymaniA
GoT MuGeN?
Seisick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #1470
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Attachment 845667845674QUOTE=Seisick;10017889]Will you care to share how to replace wo the tool, hudy also makes one. I believe[/QUOTE]

Sure.. This is the quick and dirty

It not rocket science. I first start with a dogbone laying on top of my partially open vice. The vice should be open so that the dogbone body will rest on the top the jaws of the vice and the pins are protruding thru the vice but Not clamping the pins.
I then use a small brass hammer and drive the pin just before it is flush with the dogbone body. I have a front dogbone that was never installed on my car. I use this dogbone as punch since these pins are the same diameter of the pin I'm removing. I then use the front dogbone as a punch to drive the pin slightly past flush. I just want to drive the pin far enough so the new pin can be capture faily easy by the partially vacant hole. I then drive the new pin in as the old pin is drive thru the bottom of the dogbone. Only thing that is left is to insure the pin is centered in the dog bone.
I took some pics of different stages of the process. I have not ordered new pins yet; so I have no pics of the new pin being driven in.
.
Attached Thumbnails
MTX 5-picture-013.jpg   MTX 5-picture-015.jpg   MTX 5-picture-017.jpg   MTX 5-picture-019.jpg  
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 12-09-2011 at 10:10 PM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mugen MTX-3 university_dave Nitro On-Road 17237 12-30-2012 01:16 PM
Mugen MTX-4 Grasshopperr Nitro On-Road 9087 08-30-2011 07:15 PM
Singapore National Series, 2009 Round 2 bullygod Singapore R/C Racers 21 06-27-2009 07:00 AM
Inter-State Racing Competetion Mie3R Malaysian R/C Racers 510 08-12-2008 10:41 PM
INTI College 1/10 Gas Touring (Sarawak,Kuching) LAKIA Malaysian R/C Racers 41 10-18-2007 06:46 PM
TQ With Serpent 720 on 23 & 24 December 2006 in Miri weechor Malaysian R/C Racers 119 02-01-2007 07:04 AM
LRP Nitro Masters 2006 Malaysia HPC II Malaysian R/C Racers 435 06-28-2006 09:03 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net