Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New XRAY 808

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i have personally seen this car run, and i just have to say that it looks planted!!! we had a big local race here at Mike's Hobby Shop in houston, and Jason Branham had the whole expert a main lapped 4 times at the end of the 30 minute a main.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Now if some of the other companies would just start copying XRAY's plastic mixtures, we'd all be better off. Parts should stay slop free for more than one weekend.
I usually read what everyone has to say but i couldn't resist! CarbonJoe hit the nail on the head! I am not here to argue, but only to put my 2 cents in. I have an original Xb8 from 2004'ish, i can honestly say a solid 2 years of actual racing. Losi8 for about 2 months now, has had plenty of racing to include The Nitrochallenge in AZ couple of weeks ago. When I compare the two, the Xb8 looks like its 2 months old and the 8ight 2 years old. Xb8 has little slop and the drive shaft pins hardly worn. Fellow 8ight owners probally have a good idea of how much wear is on the 8ight with a couple of months. If my memory serves me correct, I have probally only spent a total of approx. $50 in parts from wear (if that) on the XB8 over those 2 years. Just to rattle off a few things I replaced on the 8ight from wear (not breakage) in the last two months: diff cups (twice), CVD driveshaft and center one, numerous bearings, rear diff gear and pinion, etc... Point is Xray's are darn near bulletproof. Especially when I look at $200+ of spare Losi parts because I am afraid to break something or something will wear during a big race and the $50 bucks of Xray stuff just in case. Okay I am gonna stop here cause this is getting lengthy. I think everyone gets the point.

But the important thing here is to hopefully help people here looking into the 808 make a decision if they are going to jump from another buggy and try the 808. Put it this way, I am breaking out the OG Xb8, selling the other, and eagerly awaiting the 808. Look for a good Losi spare parts auction on Ebay soon for you loyal 8ight'ers As far as the whole copying thing goes, Losi has a great platform, plenty of othere manufactures will follow suit. Look at the car industry with mini-vans and now the 'crossover' utility vehicle. Every major manufacturer will follow suit when they see something good, they will just try to improve and compete. Have a great day and see you at the track!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

This is the only rear center driveshaft that was in my EC, which I got in January last year, ran all last year and two bigger than club races this year (probably had 15-20 gallons on). If anybody out there knows me, they know how much I run and can vouch!
The amount of play in the universal is about 1.5mm on my calipers...

Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

jesus....doesn't Xray hook you up with replacement parts though? Why would you let that slop build up if you could get the parts for free?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I don't want to be /that guy/ that orders a bunch of stuff I don't need... I didn't really take heed to the wear until I went to replace the bearings, then I just flipped the driveshafts front to rear so I could keep running them.
Money for parts has to come from somewhere...
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I used to run the 8ight.. Im looking to get back into the hobby, and always admired XRAY's parts quality. If this car drives like the 8ight, with Xray quality.. I'll give it a long hard look for sure! (if the price is reasonable)
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Considering how much time you have on that and the only wear is on the pin speaks volumes about xray quality. i wouldnt expect any other companies stuff to hold up nearly that well. I know alot of guys who have 8ight-t and over 3 months the slop in them was just sad, my savage had less slop and more run time then their trucks. Not saying Losi is bad, just that they need to re engineer their plastics and some other things.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by British Menace
Freedom of speech at work................

Whatever people say. The car does look good I'll say that!!
How long has the information been around about the 808? Since the first photo's/spyshots or announcements?

I'm curious because actual "for sale" day is usually around 6 to 8 months after initial announcement/leek.

Just my look it will be out in a couple of weeks to a month's time. Just as I've bought myself a new M1B TURBO .......lol

Oh well.

British Menace
Its a shame you've brought a turbo- I've been told by a very reliable source that the first batch of 808's will be avaliable by the end of march in our country at the lastest, also the team magic M8 is due to be released soon.

I'm looking really hard at buying a 808 I love my Losi's and have done for many years my first losi was a JRX 1/10th offroader but the wear on the 8 is just a little more than I would like I just hope that X-ray haven't made the chassis light at the expense of durabilty

Adrian
Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Kinwalds Xray 808 from the silver state race. Looks like they put a regular xb8 wide body on the car.
Attached Thumbnails New XRAY 808-kinwald808.jpg   New XRAY 808-kinwald8082.jpg  
Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

is it just me or does the engine look like it's on an angle aswell as the radio box. And the standard XB8 body definatly looks wider than the 808 chassis

good to see that Losi airfilters work on the 808 and it looks like X-ray have even copied the colour of Losi's anodising and standard shock springs or are they just losi shocks

seems to be a lot of after market alloy parts on it also, so maybe they have used Losi's model of light, cheep with lots of aftermarket parts to get the rest of your money later
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

The radio tray is almost a boomerang it is so curved.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by whoajoe
The radio tray is almost a boomerang it is so curved.
yep- wouldn't mind seeing pics from the top of the chassis without engine and radio gear in it just to see the angles of the centre diff and centre drive shalfts.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

if you took the radio tray out and placed a losi radio tray in there, i wouldn't know the difference between the xray and the losi
Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

thats probably because your used to looking at the same kyosho platform for the past 7 years
Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

I just bought the kyosho after I sold my losi. I don't expect the 808 to be released on time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.