New XRAY 808

Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The xray shocks are terrible. I spent a full day trying to stop the leaks .

I see people are loving the mp9 shocks
. Do I need the standoff and does xray springs fit mp9 shocks?
How much longer are they?

Anyone have part numbers for the full mp9 shock kit with velvet shock bodies ?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jarred King

Where are they leaking - seals or around the cap ?
They sometimes ooze a little through the seals on the older shocks, but not to any major extent. This was easily fixed by running 2 x old O Rings on the shaft to restrict shaft travel and not over-pressurize the shock. You can also run 2 of the thin spacers between the seals instead of one to grip the shafts slightly more.
If they are leaking at the caps I would suggest you check your assembly and / or bleeding procedures. I have never heard of the X-Ray shocks leaking at the caps (except when using foam inserts that are too long), but this is a non standard enhancement.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Tech Master

There leaking from the cap and they were before we did the shock cap mod. The bladders are new and I tried about 20 different bladders.

Shocks are terrible full stop. I know how to bleed them
Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

never had any leak problems with xray shocks... they are actually not a bad shock... but with the mp9 shocks, I could get more downtravel.. resulting is less bottoming out on bigger jumps.. take a look at the rear of your buggy with full droop setup.. 113 mm I believe.. then go look at mugen, kyosho... you can see a noticeable difference ... our local track has several big jumps, as well as a few of the JBRL tracks we have been traveling to... with xray shocks, if I didnt land perfectly, I would chassis slap pretty hard... now, with longer travel, this car is much smoother and more forgiving on landings...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 AM
Tech Master

Sounds good what did u have to buy to get to fit and do u have part numbers.
Can u buy a kyosho shock
set with the velvet bodies already on them or is the velvet bodies a seperate item ?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Tech Addict

here is what I did..
bought stock front set of mp9 velvet coated shocks off ebay
the rest of this is from AMain
KYOIFW409 Kyosho Velvet Coated Medium Length Big Bore Shock Set (rear)
KYOIF348-1114 Kyosho 95mm Big Bore Rear Shock Spring (Green - Medium/Soft)
KYOIF350-714 Kyosho 70mm Big Bore Front Shock Spring (Light Blue - Medium/Hard)
KYOIFW405-128 Kyosho SP Big Shock Pistons (1.2 x 8 hole)
KYOIFW405-138 Kyosho SP Big Shock Piston (1.3 x 8 hole)
KYOIF346-04 Kyosho Big Bore Shock Steel Shock Bushing
OFN19361 OFNA 6.8mm CNC Aluminum Ball
Mugen 450 oil in front, 350 in rear... oil wt should be adjusted to your track condition and liking...
Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Hi guys,

got a bit of a newbie (to rally x) question for you all,

Just picked up an 808'10 roller from eBay, I've just been rebuilding it, noticed that for some reason, the pinion gear had 3 bearings fitted.
I say had becuase one of the bearings was completely collapsed and didn't allow the pinion to touch the crown gear due to the movement.

I've put everything back together with just the two bearings fitted. But the front most bearing has huge slop in the bearing housing. I assume that with the previous bearing being damaged it was damaged the bulkhead also, but I can't really see any major marking on the bulkhead.

Is it possible that this is an older spec car that requires two different sized bearings for the pinion gear or irks ur more likely that the bulkhead is damaged..

Any help is much appreciated guys.
Thanks in advance
luke
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
Hi guys,

Just picked up an 808'10 roller from eBay, I've just been rebuilding it, noticed that for some reason, the pinion gear had 3 bearings fitted.
I say had becuase one of the bearings was completely collapsed and didn't allow the pinion to touch the crown gear due to the movement.

I've put everything back together with just the two bearings fitted. But the front most bearing has huge slop in the bearing housing. I assume that with the previous bearing being damaged it was damaged the bulkhead also, but I can't really see any major marking on the bulkhead.

Is it possible that this is an older spec car that requires two different sized bearings for the pinion gear or irks ur more likely that the bulkhead is damaged..

Thanks in advance
luke
Luke,

The kit you have is the latest version with the 3 pinion bearings upgrade, all 3 bearings should be identical and should fit perfectly into the bulkhead, if you can't fit the entire 3 bearings assembly into the bulkhead then your bulkhead might have been damaged by the failed bearing. Check the bulkhead for any sign of damage or deformation, replace where necessary...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

3 pinion bearings upgrade,
Most season racer prefer to use the older 13X19 configuration bearings bulk head.

Most said it is most reliable than the current new bulk head.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance
luke
The newest 2010 kits come with the 3 bearing pinion as standard ..there should be a thin (1.25mm) spacer as well...fit one bearing at the front (cvd) end of the pinion then the spacer then 2 more bearings..hang on I think the diagram is still on my desktop..I'll upload it again..

crap it's a pdf..oh well you can just download it then..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3.bearing.pinion.pdf (121.7 KB, 191 views)
Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance
luke
Hey Luke,
just to make sure you are clear, you cannot put it back together using 2 bearings.. that particular bulkhead requires the use of the 3 bearing setup.. all that slop you are seeing is because you tried to reassemble using only two bearings... keep in mind that there is a 3-bearing pinon and a 2-bearing pinion, so remember that if you ever go to replce pinions... I have not tried the 3 bearing setup as of yet... mainly becasue I have never had any problems at all with the 09 spec design... knock on wood
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by king offroad
Most season racer prefer to use the older 13X19 configuration bearings bulk head.

Most said it is most reliable than the current new bulk head.
+1... just my 2 cents..
Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Greenlee37
here is what I did..
bought stock front set of mp9 velvet coated shocks off ebay
the rest of this is from AMain
KYOIFW409 Kyosho Velvet Coated Medium Length Big Bore Shock Set (rear)
KYOIF348-1114 Kyosho 95mm Big Bore Rear Shock Spring (Green - Medium/Soft)
KYOIF350-714 Kyosho 70mm Big Bore Front Shock Spring (Light Blue - Medium/Hard)
KYOIFW405-128 Kyosho SP Big Shock Pistons (1.2 x 8 hole)
KYOIFW405-138 Kyosho SP Big Shock Piston (1.3 x 8 hole)
KYOIF346-04 Kyosho Big Bore Shock Steel Shock Bushing
OFN19361 OFNA 6.8mm CNC Aluminum Ball
Mugen 450 oil in front, 350 in rear... oil wt should be adjusted to your track condition and liking...
What's the part number for front velvet shock set ?
Thanks for info. Does mp9 shocks suit xray springs and will mp9 bolt straight on
Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Just saw how
much the kyosho ones are to buy!!!! Wow very pricey. Anyone ever fit losi shocks and what are the differences ?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Just saw how
much the kyosho ones are to buy!!!! Wow very pricey. Anyone ever fit losi shocks and what are the differences ?
There is no problem with the Xray shocks. I have never had a leak so obviously you are doing something wrong. Make sure your O-Rings aren't damaged and make sure your bladders aren't torn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.