Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Tank

I asked on hear a few months ago if there was any problems with the fuel tank and everyone said no way. So at the track this weekend I had a guy prove it to me. With a stock tank I could fill up and my tune was good for about half a tank, then would lean out as I got low on fuel. I could then re-fill and the tune would go back to normal for the first half of the tank, showing some type of leak in the tank where the fuel gets picked up. I had heard of this before but this proved it so to speak.

So, I went to the hobby shop and got hot bodies clunk parts and installed them in my tanks. This is reletively easy if you are sorta handy. It involves some precision work with scissors to remove some inner tank parts and possibly with a soldering iron if you want to smooth it out to look really pro. Then just a drill bit or reamer and you have a clunk. I thought the results looked really good. I put fuel in the tanks and they seemed to be sealed really well. So back to the track.

The clunk tank I made for my truck seems to work great, no more tune change and no problems at all. The buggy tanks on the other hand, I made two, do want to pick up the fuel properly. The motor won't idle consistent and you can tell it's not getting even fuel flow. I tried two motors, and they were the same, car would run inconsistent and flame at random, especially on a rollover. So I went back to a new stock tank which eliminated the inconsistent idle and fuel flow, but still had the leaning out problem and ghost flame outs. This has been on going in my mugen buggy and is very frustrating.

Moral of the story, will Mugen or some other aftermarket company please make a dam reliable fuel tank with a clunk. They would be freaking priceless.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I tried to use a longer return line, didn't work!
I try to use a gas cooler, it was worst!
I tried to change the way of the return line, again, didn't worked!
I just can understand how the pros handle it, Savoya is probably uses the same fuel tank, how does he do it?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Savoya flames out too! I remember some big race a year or 2 ago(euros?) he won but it got close at the end cause he flamed on a pit. They blamed it on fuel splashed on the pipe but....

Originally Posted by camocowboy
With a stock tank I could fill up and my tune was good for about half a tank, then would lean out as I got low on fuel. I could then re-fill and the tune would go back to normal for the first half of the tank, showing some type of leak in the tank where the fuel gets picked up. I had heard of this before but this proved it so to speak.

The clunk tank I made for my truck seems to work great, no more tune change and no problems at all.
Tried my clunk set up today for the first time and that was my biggest impression. I didnt know when i was getting low on fuel. Consistent till the end
Old 10-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bombman
I tried to use a longer return line, didn't work!
I try to use a gas cooler, it was worst!
I tried to change the way of the return line, again, didn't worked!
I just can understand how the pros handle it, Savoya is probably uses the same fuel tank, how does he do it?
Because he can tune his engine perfect. Somebody just needs to get crafty and start modding tanks and make a killing off of it. I would buy them if they worked.

I do have to be honest though. I have not had any of those problems in mine and my sons buggy ever.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

I am going to do some more testing with my buggy tanks. Like I said, the truggy one is perfect, no complaints. However, with the same mod on the buggy tank I had worse problems than with the stock tanks. Maybe I wasn't as good with my drill or something and didn't get a good seal, I don't know. I can't find any fuel leaking but air is harder to detect. I will be re-sealing them and trying again, plus putting the same motor in another car to rule that out. I will report back.

I would rather one be available without the mod though. Much easier that way. I am also finding fuel line routing to be a big problem with the mod.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one-eight
Savoya flames out too! I remember some big race a year or 2 ago(euros?) he won but it got close at the end cause he flamed on a pit. They blamed it on fuel splashed on the pipe but....

Tried my clunk set up today for the first time and that was my biggest impression. I didnt know when i was getting low on fuel. Consistent till the end
ok pics of how u did this plz
Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

My buggy got the tank problem this weekend. Car comes in, pit man opens lid, motor revs like crazy, pit man puts fuel gun in then dies. Never left pit lane. Did it every pit. Clunk style solves all of that. If done properly.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Alan D.
My buggy got the tank problem this weekend. Car comes in, pit man opens lid, motor revs like crazy, pit man puts fuel gun in then dies. Never left pit lane. Did it every pit. Clunk style solves all of that. If done properly.
Has anyone tried mounting up a losi tank or some other tank that has a clunk already in it.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Nothing else fits.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Greg B
Would someone care to explain what the numbers on the springs are ?
75? is that the length ? 9.75 ? number of coils ?
You got it.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Tank Mods

Originally Posted by camocowboy
I am going to do some more testing with my buggy tanks. Like I said, the truggy one is perfect, no complaints. However, with the same mod on the buggy tank I had worse problems than with the stock tanks. Maybe I wasn't as good with my drill or something and didn't get a good seal, I don't know. I can't find any fuel leaking but air is harder to detect. I will be re-sealing them and trying again, plus putting the same motor in another car to rule that out. I will report back.

I would rather one be available without the mod though. Much easier that way. I am also finding fuel line routing to be a big problem with the mod.
have you pressure tested the tanks? maybe the lid is leaking on the buggy one. leaking lids are common.

Nothing else fits.
2 friends run the tamiya tank and it seems to work and fit well.

15x21 bearing seal

shim the oring for more squish. (tighter seal)

Collars for extra spring tension.

Hacked Tank

Getting your 5mm hole height

losi clunk laying in pocket

Its also important to cut the boss from the capacity plug off the floor of the tank, this allows the clunk to lay and work properly.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im not doubting this, but why would a clunk help the refueling flameouts?

Does the Tamiya tank solve the refueling issues? Cause if it does, there may be other issues we arent addressing because it is NOT clunk style and has the same shitty o ring seal on the cap, NOT TOP SEALING! So basically the same friggin tank! I have one right here. Also the D8 tank doesnt realy fit

If Mugen keeps a deaf ear to the tank and arm problems, there may be a mass exodus to THE Car
Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Joe....do You know how many "cc's" the modded tank top off at?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

I ran mine at the Byrons race this weekend. The truck one I ran the fuel line up between the top plate and the tank and went backward through the fuel filter, and to the carb and it was right on like 149-150. The buggy with the line coming out and bending around the steering post and back under the pipe mount and straight to the carb with no fuel filter was right on also at 124-125 so I didn't have alot of options running the fuel line. I may leave the restrictor in my next one and see how it works. I think it will hold the clunk off the bottom of the tank though.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

here are some pics of the tanks I did. I think Tamiya is the only tank I haven't tried. Not too common around here. I'll track one down though if they fit. Anybody got a pic of that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.