Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats the thing. If you run Novak you are legal at both the USVTA and ROAR VTA races. Run something else and you are limited to the ROAR, and there are a few more tracks that are going with the ROAR rules. If you WANT something else in your pit box and you race a lot then you probably will have opportunity to use it. The best races in my opinion are still the Official USVTA rule pack, so for me its just better to stay with the USVTA legal ride.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Thats the thing. If you run Novak you are legal at both the USVTA and ROAR VTA races. Run something else and you are limited to the ROAR, and there are a few more tracks that are going with the ROAR rules. If you WANT something else in your pit box and you race a lot then you probably will have opportunity to use it. The best races in my opinion are still the Official USVTA rule pack, so for me its just better to stay with the USVTA legal ride.
snoop how you been pal couldn't have said it better myself !!!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Me personally I like the fact that USVTA appears to test the escs for parity before putting them on there list.

one thing that was brought up in another separate discussion but curious what the USVTA crowd things is I have "heard" of that it is possible for a manufacturer to put in a larger capacity battery in there "5000mah" pack and still label it as such.

Is this an area that if it becomes an issue may be tested for in the future?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Me personally I like the fact that USVTA appears to test the escs for parity before putting them on there list.

one thing that was brought up in another separate discussion but curious what the USVTA crowd things is I have "heard" of that it is possible for a manufacturer to put in a larger capacity battery in there "5000mah" pack and still label it as such.

Is this an area that if it becomes an issue may be tested for in the future?
One easy way you can tell is the weight of a pack. 5000mah packs tend to weigh a lot less then the 7000+ packs. For example my SMC 7200 is 314g vs EA 5000 being 260g. Also batteries have some wiggle room on the MAH numbers and charge over their MAH rating... I don't really see this being a big issue of a company not putting the correct mah on it. I think people charging over 8.4 would be a bigger issue then someone running a battery that should be say 5500mah but is labeled 5000. Unless you and the people you race against can keep it clean for the 8 min as soon as you hit something or someone and any gain you would get from either is lost just like that.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

A person is in sad shape if they cheat in VTA! Thats completely missing the concept of the class.

One of the local tracks recently went to ROAR VTA rules, which is fine with me, but I will be sticking with a 100% USVTA legal car. I feel there is no real advantage with either sanctioning body, but by staying USVTA I can race the national events, if I choose, and be racing the with the same equipment that I use at every race. No extra expense/time spent changing the car over for a USVTA race.

I personally will be sticking with my NOVAK EDGE / 25.5 combo because they are the ones who took the chance and spent money on a new concept of racing when no one else was willing. Not saying that Tekins shouldn't be allowed tho, the more the merrier if it helps VTA grow as a class
Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

How are fools cheat'n....With batts or with motors?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I came from racing full scale cars and I've learned one thing. If there's a way to cheap, people are going to find it and use it. I know the RC coummunity is diffrent from other racing communities, but cheating is as much a part of the sport as anything. Hopfully the tech guys are good, and can keep it down to a minimum.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
One easy way you can tell is the weight of a pack. 5000mah packs tend to weigh a lot less then the 7000+ packs. For example my SMC 7200 is 314g vs EA 5000 being 260g.
True. I am thinking more so like the 6000mah packs as looking at one site, they have one that is about 290 grams, so still a different but not as massive as the 7200s.

Based on the comment made that towards the end of a run the higher capacity is where you can see an advantage, it makes me wonder, especially as looking at some of the packs its basically as simple as a sticker change

Originally Posted by alloyslash
A person is in sad shape if they cheat in VTA! Thats completely missing the concept of the class.
+1 . To me, the VTA class is a fun class. Its the first onroad class I am starting my daughter in this winter. I am hoping it is something we can share together since she is at that age where before you know it, dad is no longer *cool* to be around.

Originally Posted by JayBee
How are fools cheat'n....With batts or with motors?
I don't think its cheating persay. Talking to one seller of lipos who submitted some for ROAR approval, I guess they had the wrong sticker from where they get made so ROAR approved one mah rating, but the lipos inside are higher. I don't think ROAR cares though if your mah rating on the sticker is less than the pack is inside, which lead to what I was wondering about where to get some better specs, some manufacturers could dump in a bigger pack in the same case to get a boost in performance over what really a 5000mah pack.

Again, just a thought, real world who knows. My only comparison I can give on performance over a long runtime would be SCT 4x4 where running lower 5000 ish packs versus the 7200s towards the end you could see a drop off. But VTA may not be like that at all.

Originally Posted by King of Smack
I came from racing full scale cars and I've learned one thing. If there's a way to cheap, people are going to find it and use it. I know the RC coummunity is diffrent from other racing communities, but cheating is as much a part of the sport as anything. Hopfully the tech guys are good, and can keep it down to a minimum.
lol. Yeah, it may not even be cheating, it may be how they stretch the rules. People really go stretch Armstrong in RC in spec classes. Its probably why Spec Slash died at a few places when guys started doing "Titan" hunts with multiple motor purchases to find that great motor.

But, regardless, VTA is a class that I recall put the most smile on my face when running onroad. Excited to get going with it again next week.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

True. I am thinking more so like the 6000mah packs as looking at one site, they have one that is about 290 grams, so still a different but not as massive as the 5000s.

Based on the comment made that towards the end of a run the higher capacity is where you can see an advantage, it makes me wonder, especially as looking at some of the packs its basically as simple as a sticker change
VTA races arent long enough for battery mah to make a difference, if we ran 20-30 minute mains then yes.
RayK used a 4300mah shorty pack to win RCGT which uses 21.5T to win the last Halloween Classic.

Go out there and have fun, dont over think it
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

usgt..lol...
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Talking to one seller of lipos who submitted some for ROAR approval, I guess they had the wrong sticker from where they get made so ROAR approved one mah rating, but the lipos inside are higher. I don't think ROAR cares though if your mah rating on the sticker is less than the pack is inside, which lead to what I was wondering about where to get some better specs, some manufacturers could dump in a bigger pack in the same case to get a boost in performance over what really a 5000mah pack.
ROAR doesn't measure or "approve" capacity, nor do they claim to do so. They measure dimensions and weight.

A manufacturer is free to put in any cell size they want, and label the battery as they see fit. While they could use higher-capacity cells than the label would suggest, their cost goes up, but the price they can charge probably won't. So there's very little incentive to do it.

But it does leave open the possibility of a manufacturer charging a higher price for a "premium" pack. That has been done for many years! The "premium" pack would need a separate ROAR approval if it differed substantially in weight versus the normal pack.

Last edited by howardcano; 11-08-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
usgt..lol...
oops lol

hey !! usgt started out as rcgt
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
snoop how you been pal couldn't have said it better myself !!!!!
If I have time, then I dont have money. If I have money, I don't have any time. Its hard to go racing when you live like that. But I will get there when I can. Other than that I'm doing good. How about you?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
If I have time, then I dont have money. If I have money, I don't have any time. Its hard to go racing when you live like that. But I will get there when I can. Other than that I'm doing good. How about you?
yep that about sums it up lol
But im doing well we have a new local track that is 100% USVTA so
That's a big help maybe we will see you all in Florida soon
Old 11-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
yep that about sums it up lol
But im doing well we have a new local track that is 100% USVTA so
That's a big help maybe we will see you all in Florida soon
just get the Mafia ready for Snowbirds...

USVTA taking over this year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.