Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its amazing what that blue and that meatball do for that Mustang. Also how did you like the build on the Spec-R? Was the quality of the parts good? Did it go together well? Has anyone tired the VBC VTA car yet? The Ghost?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I thought the build went smooth. I had it finished in @ 5 hours. The plastic seems of good quality. There was a fair amount of flash from the manufacturing process that had to be cleaned up with a hobby knife though....But I'm used to building Team Durango kits so I am spoiled....As far as the wing, it is a little cartoonish looking now that you mention it
Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love how TD laser etches everything. Different color anodizing on little bits. I have Never seen the Durango TC in person, but I have been eyeballing a VBC for VTA and thats what I like about their stuff too. And Yokomo, I wish I could afford their stuff. Even if it's all the same color.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I love how TD laser etches everything. Different color anodizing on little bits. I have Never seen the Durango TC in person
It's coming........
Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

I just shipped a box of full of these five VTA bodies to a racer up in CT today. Been working on them on and off the last couple of weeks (More pictures in the VTA paint thread if you want to see more).

I just love this class! VTA is the reason I started running on-road. All my son and I had done prior was off-road. Nothing wrong with off-road its fun too for sure, but VTA is well, you know...

The muscle cars in the 60's/70's were awesome at the time and still awesome now. I had a 72 Mustang but its long gone. Being able to own an R/C version of these beasties is just great. I imagine for some guys VTA is just another TC class with a vintage clam shell on top, but for most of us its more.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-challenger77samposey01r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-cudagenerallee03r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-javelinrwb01r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-sunococamaro01r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-parnellijonesbossmustang05r.jpg  

Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I just shipped a box of full of these five VTA bodies to a racer up in CT today. Been working on them on and off the last couple of weeks (More pictures in the VTA paint thread if you want to see more).

I just love this class! VTA is the reason I started running on-road. All my son and I had done prior was off-road. Nothing wrong with off-road its fun too for sure, but VTA is well, you know...

The muscle cars in the 60's/70's were awesome at the time and still awesome now. I had a 72 Mustang but its long gone. Being able to own an R/C version of these beasties is just great. I imagine for some guys VTA is just another TC class with a vintage clam shell on top, but for most of us its more.
+1

I had quit running sedan after many years of seemingly racing somewhere different almost every weekend throughout the state of FL. After about a 2yr or so layoff, I showed up one day to a local race to watch. The VTA class reeled me back in. It brought back a lot of memories as well. I only run VTA...though at times I have thoughts of getting back into sedan. VTA has brought the fun back in it for me.

Though not a Trans-Am car, I did have a 1971 Olds Cutlass S.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

What vta body seems to be the best handling body to date? I am interested in the firebird because no one is running them at my track. I wanted something different. But I read somewhere that the wheels rub on front hood. Anyone else had same experience?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

It didn't win - but watching the video from the Halloween Classic race a couple weeks ago, the McAllister Firebird on Rob Brandow's car appeared to be THE Fasted VTA car in the field. *driver hit a couple bumps in the road.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
What vta body seems to be the best handling body to date? I am interested in the firebird because no one is running them at my track. I wanted something different. But I read somewhere that the wheels rub on front hood. Anyone else had same experience?
If you are talking about the protoform firebird, I love the looks but for me the nose has been too easy to smash in, even from minor collisions. if you get one, I'd suggest a lot of shoe goo in that area to add strength.

The j71 is my favorite still... it holds up well and handles good too. Looks great, I will probably run one every time from here on out...
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Did I kill my motor?

I ran my Novak 25.5 last race and when it came off it was hot, not extremely hot, but hot none the less. My temp gun battery was dead (ugh) so I don't have an exact temp. I could hold my finger on the motor so I don't think it was extreme. But it had that band aide smell we all know of when a motor is over heated. It ran fine through the race and still works. I ran the same gearing for all the heats. I ran a couple practice laps after the main, so I think that pushed it.

Did I kill the motor?

I cleaned and added the vented end bell to help with the heat. I also upgraded my fan.

thanks
Chris
Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

There is no "best" body. Many different bodies have won big races.
- You will see a lot of HPI '68 Camaro's because they are one of the most durable bodies available.
- Depending on which is the latest released body (regardless of manufacturer), you might see a lot of those cars running.

Pick the body you like best and have fun. Both of the Firebird bodies look good & work well on the track. If you go with the Mcallister Firebird, you can get a good set of decals from RCTECH.net username SWTOUR.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
yeah, and you do seem to do pretty well with that setup

do you have a link or info on that chassis? I tried finding info when you posted it on the southern nats thread - but didn't find much..

i'm a chassis building whore
Best bet is to get ahold of NolanP, he is a the Spektrum race this weekend but here are a couple of links.
The chassis's we got were pre-built

http://www.tamiya-model.co.uk/shop/r...-90061935.html

But I have seen some of the RTR versions coming with SP Brushless. Felix Law at Express RC would be the one to ask on this one.

http://www.expressrchobbies.com/category-s/1857.htm
Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
It didn't win - but watching the video from the Halloween Classic race a couple weeks ago, the McAllister Firebird on Rob Brandow's car appeared to be THE Fasted VTA car in the field. *driver hit a couple bumps in the road.
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
If you are talking about the protoform firebird, I love the looks but for me the nose has been too easy to smash in, even from minor collisions. if you get one, I'd suggest a lot of shoe goo in that area to add strength.

The j71 is my favorite still... it holds up well and handles good too. Looks great, I will probably run one every time from here on out...
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
There is no "best" body. Many different bodies have won big races.
- You will see a lot of HPI '68 Camaro's because they are one of the most durable bodies available.
- Depending on which is the latest released body (regardless of manufacturer), you might see a lot of those cars running.

Pick the body you like best and have fun. Both of the Firebird bodies look good & work well on the track. If you go with the Mcallister Firebird, you can get a good set of decals from RCTECH.net username SWTOUR.
Thanks for the good words! I think that I might just have to grab a couple of different bodys anyways. God only knows I will probably destroy the first one.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

God only knows I will probably destroy the first one.
You will! But it gives you a good reason to try another one of the great looking bodies out there. Like IndyRCRacer says, they are all good and as I understand it, aerodynamics are not that critical due to VTA's slower speeds.

At the end of the day, they all look good on the track IMO. There's a reason why the PRIUS class has not taken off.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The only factor that comes into play is the weight of the bodies. The HPI bodies tend to be tanks and generally are harder to break/crumple. Not saying it cannot be done lol

I like to have a lighter body so that I can put the needed weight down low on the chassis.

Just my $.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.