Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Im just wondering what ROAR rules are you guys using down in FL? From what I understand ROAR only has rules for 21.5 VTA. ROAR does not have any rules for 25.5 motors or even approve any 25.5 motors at this time. So what rules are you guys following if you are using 25.5 motors?
Kevin K - ROAR rules are being followed in the FSEARA series. Not sure when the last time was that you had chance to view the current rules. Here's the rule from page 63 and as you can see, it's pretty wide open....

8.7.10.2 Motor and Battery Rules:
 25.5 turn brushless with 2S 7.4v lipo battery. ROAR Approved Non Timing speed control Level 3, 4 & 5 events shall only use this combo.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Forgot to mention that bodies, tires, rims and mandantory driver figure is all basically the same, even to the point of suggesting period correct paint schemes. However, weight minimum is 1450g.

Make no mistake, I prefer USVTA rules and have attended the US Southern Nats for the last 2 years and will make the trip this year as well. My point in all of this was to let others know we have a problem down here that is unique. When others from Florida make suggestions or ask questions, please understand the basis driving the question or suggestion. The intent is not to attempt have rob make rule changes on our behalf. However, with this being a discussion forum, the questions or suggestions should be allowed freely without the need to slam them for their opinion.

As Pete said, the sad reality is we'll never have the best VTA talent in the state of Florida all on the track at the same time under the same set of rules IMHO.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For any and ALL wanting the ROAR VTA Rule info -

ROAR RULE BOOK

COPY and PASTE: 8.7.10 Vintage Trans-Am: in the "Find/Search" window
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Thats what I run 90% of the time

Lighter fluid works good to clean tires without drying them out it will keep the traction up in the tire. If you use motor spray to clean the tire most times that takes away a little traction cause it tends to dry them out. IMO simple green can do some strange things at times so I stopped using it.
About a month ago, a week before the Scale Nationals I ran out of STX 3.0. When I asked Eric which of the current tire compounds are the best he asked me a few questions. When asked how I cleaned my tires and told him that I used lighter fluid he suggested using another method. Showed me the method of the 5 dot system using compound as tire cleaner. Now I had already cleaned my tires with lighter fluid, he cleaned them again and the amount of crap that was still on the tires was astounding!

I ran a few sessions with this new method and I noticed 1 thing right away. Traction was way up!! I also noticed that my lap times were 2 to 3 tenths faster overall.

My suggestion with cleaning tires is to use tire compound and nothing else. I was also told lighter fluid will dry out the tires as well but not as bad as motor cleaner.

Also the only way to break in new tires is to put them through about a dozen heat cycles. I have a set of new tires with about 7 cycles on them and they are still getting better. Currently they are already just as fast as my old worn out tires if not faster by a tenth or 2.

Just my overall experience and what I do to clean my tires.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AudioStylz
About a month ago, a week before the Scale Nationals I ran out of STX 3.0. When I asked Eric which of the current tire compounds are the best he asked me a few questions. When asked how I cleaned my tires and told him that I used lighter fluid he suggested using another method. Showed me the method of the 5 dot system using compound as tire cleaner. Now I had already cleaned my tires with lighter fluid, he cleaned them again and the amount of crap that was still on the tires was astounding!

I ran a few sessions with this new method and I noticed 1 thing right away. Traction was way up!! I also noticed that my lap times were 2 to 3 tenths faster overall.

My suggestion with cleaning tires is to use tire compound and nothing else. I was also told lighter fluid will dry out the tires as well but not as bad as motor cleaner.

Also the only way to break in new tires is to put them through about a dozen heat cycles. I have a set of new tires with about 7 cycles on them and they are still getting better. Currently they are already just as fast as my old worn out tires if not faster by a tenth or 2.

You peaked my interest with the 5 dot system. Can you elaborate?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF
You peaked my interest with the 5 dot system. Can you elaborate?
Thank you Paul Lemieux! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8EZ0GhK6Iw

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I use this method more so in USGT/17.5 then in VTA. I like to do this with buggy grip to help break in new tires after you run them.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Cool thanks. I'll try that.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AudioStylz

I dont like to clean with traction compound for VTA tires they will get way too soft and have too much traction. For me lighter fluid works best when the traction is optimal and I dont want to increase it. 12 heat cycles is way too much for the newer tires IMO. They are good to go after about 3 runs from what I have seen. Its all about finding a balance with what tire prep you are using. If you can get away with cleaning with compound then keep doing it I cant because it makes the tires too soft and I think makes them wear out faster.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I have seen this several times now. A few on here have been running VTA as USVTA since the organization was born others only a few weeks, or just a couple of months. What happens is those that are fresh on the scene ask questions or challenge the rules that have already survived multiple exchanges of ugly commentary on this very thread. Those of us who have been here longer grow more intolerant of challenges or sometimes just questions. Moaning out a, "Here we go again." The newer you are to all this, the more likely you are to say, "All he did was ask a question." We all know that everyone is new sometime. And I guess it is easier to ask a dead horse question than to read through this thread, but that will get you defensive answers from those who have been here a while and like it like it is. We are snarky for a reason, and we have been through this dozens of times. All of it. There is hardly anything someone could ask that hasn't been thoroughly covered.

The unpleasant exchange that has covered the last dozen pages is something that just happens on occasion in threads like this. It would be enough to turn racers away from the class in its entirety and maybe it does, but it shouldn't. Because when you get to the track you find that the forum makes little difference. Once you spread that towel out it's all about wrenching and racing, and fun with friends.
Don't base your opinions about this class on the last twelve pages. The race days do not reflect this poison. This is true for big races and small.
plus one very well put
Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Does anybody have a scale plastic model of one of these 3 cars?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Lighter Fluid is Naptha. Instead of buying it in small cans that are expensive, you can buy it in quarts in the paint solvent section of your local Lowe's or Home Depot. Locally, we've got Menard's and their Naptha comes with a metal cap instead of those annoying plastic pop off tops. About $6 a quart. Works great to clean the outside of bodies too and any sticker/decal goo.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-image.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Questions??

Originally Posted by Travis S
Thank you Paul Lemieux! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8EZ0GhK6Iw

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I use this method more so in USGT/17.5 then in VTA. I like to do this with buggy grip to help break in new tires after you run them.

VERY KOOL MAN!!!
now I have 1 ? is this more of a carpet thing or asphalt
Old 05-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
You know what guys the sad part of this is Florida has some of the fastest
Racers .BUT we will never know WHO IS THE BEST USVTA racer in the state
Until the guys that want to keep changing s#|+ can just make the commitment
And race the class the way is was ment to be raced
It's a tough one Pete, and I wish we were all running USVTA exclusively here in Florida. I for one have kept to those rules. Problem is we are never going to "win" the war vs. the long-standing fseara / roar crowd. I have two cars right now and I'm pretty sure one of them is going to be end up being a roar VTA chassis. Running at full throttle raceway against the roar cars is not easy.... Maybe it is mostly those of us from the Florida camp bringing up the weight issue but it is no surprise as to why. I guess in the "perfect world" USVTA would drop the weight 100g, and ROAR would agree to run a 5000 mah limit on batteries, and we would be much closer to each other. Less fighting and moaning (it gets heated, doesn't it?).

So.... this HW thing. Where does that topic stand? Is a non-timing (fixed zero) capable esc going to be axed?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I still don't get why the Justock is being debated. Sure, the firmware can be updated, but it's still only no timing software.

Heck, you can even cheat with Novaks. We had a local guy solder in a Novak Pulse board into a GTB2 case so that he could run boost/turbo in VTA. That seems a bit easier than having to hack an ESC to run other firmware to cheat. Even then, the Justocks still blink, unlike the GTB series.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
So.... this HW thing. Where does that topic stand? Is a non-timing (fixed zero) capable esc going to be axed?
I think the last I heard on this was that it would be removed from the list for the mere fact that it can be flashed. I guess the smart ones can figure out how to "alter" or "back flash" them with settings other than default without anyone else being the wiser. Kinda sucks.

But nothing official yet I don't think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.