Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by thrasher05
in my opinion the rules are fine if u run a tc3 or tc4 but ive got a t3 2012 and with a ea battery i still have 143 grams to make the 1550 mark and to tell u the truth its not worth the hasle im starting to rethink the usvta thing and maybe go gt or tc and anyone who says the rules are there to help guys with older cars crap not everyone wants a late 90s car or early 2000 some want something a little nicer the weight thing is just killing me
yeah, having to add weight sucks (I had to even with my old RDX), BUT...it gives you the advantage of placing the weight where you want it to help balance out the car. shoe goo up the front corners of the body a bit, add the driver if you haven't yet, and recheck. GT is lighter, but then you're back to any 21.5 motor or esc and playing the money game to stay out front, whereas it's all more controlled (to an extent) with VTA...i'd rather add a little weight than play 'how fat is my back pocket' to have fun with my toy car...jus sayin...

EDIT: just saw you do have the driver figure, so skip over that part I suppose...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

LOL ! Really Rpm limits ! Some guys are pissed because some other guys know how to set up a car with a inferior Novak motor ! At my local track we follow the nataional rules except you don't have to run a driver figure and you can use any esc as long as it's in blinky mode . We raced all summer with most of our guys able to clame the points in the last race . We don't need another rule like rpm limits to enforce . This class is just fine the way it is .
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fluffy622
That's not the case at all. I would say out of the 25 vta cars we have, 22 of them were slower than the rpm limit we are running now. I personally was running an rpm of 2004 and with this new rule i got to bump up my rpm to roughly 2540. So with our slow FDR we were running which was a 6.9 it showed the differences of the motors a lot. And now that it has changed almost every car is faster and it is a lot more equal racing and a lot more fun. I have been racing there for 2 or more years and was thinking about quitting this class just because the motor differences were so different that it made it unfair to some racers. I am very happy with the change
They were slower because of the FDR restrictions. I STARTED at a 4.00 FDR when tuning my car and I'm still not running above 120 degrees when I temp check the motor. I can probably run 3.70 or more. But hey, you are all having fun with it and that's what matters.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRODURANGO
LOL ! Really Rpm limits ! Some guys are pissed because some other guys know how to set up a car with a inferior Novak motor ! At my local track we follow the nataional rules except you don't have to run a driver figure and you can use any esc as long as it's in blinky mode . We raced all summer with most of our guys able to clame the points in the last race . We don't need another rule like rpm limits to enforce . This class is just fine the way it is .
I tend to agree. May as well require spec chassis all built by the same guy to the same exact tolerances too. Maybe a handout car?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Geez guys. Let them run their club their own way. No one is forcing you to go run there. And please, no "But the rules are restrictive enough" BS. They're happy running this rule, leave it be.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeckler
Geez guys. Let them run their club their own way. No one is forcing you to go run there. And please, no "But the rules are restrictive enough" BS. They're happy running this rule, leave it be.
Actually I said over and over that if it works for them then that's great. Never said they shouldn't. They just keeping talking about how great it is...like the rest should be doing the same. I'm happy for them if it helps bring in new people and keeps people racing. That's always a good goal to have. I'm not judging at all, just disagree and wouldn't like it personally.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Not sure everone is getting it. Yeah, the VTA format is the foundation for our class and a pretty awesome format at that. We chose to limit it a bit further to keep the speeds down. You can gear a VTA car to run pretty much the same speeds as a 17.5 at our track due to the size. It is purely the size of the track that dictates the necessity to reduce the speeds.

Yes, the FDR limit keeps the speeds down, that is the point.

Yes, some motors are faster than others. Same car, same setup, same FDR and with motor A the lap times were 8.45 seconds. Change the motor and the laptimes went to 9.2 seconds. Having no gear limit or timing limit allows the racers to speed up their cars to be competitive.

Yes, the fast guy will always be fast, they are good drivers. This just allows us to give the Fast drivers with a crappy motor a chance to keep up rather than have to reach into his pocket and gamble with a new motor.

We choose to limit the speeds to keep it close and fun. I'm done talking about our local rule and how it benefits us. I am not trying to get the national rules changed. Come to our track and see what 7 cars all going the same speed in a 4 foot lane it like! It is indeed like a boxing match!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by muahdib4
They were slower because of the FDR restrictions. I STARTED at a 4.00 FDR when tuning my car and I'm still not running above 120 degrees when I temp check the motor. I can probably run 3.70 or more. But hey, you are all having fun with it and that's what matters.
And that was the problem at our track. We needed to keep the speed down. It was out local choice.

You started at 4.0 and then made changes to your gearing/timing to speed up. If you were at our track and could not keep pace with the leaders you would go with a lower FDR to speed up and keep doing this until you reached the FDR limit.

If you were still too slow you would raise your timing up to speed up.

Now let's just say that your car is still slow and you are at the gear limit and timing limit and have squeezed every second out of it...what do you do? Buy a new motor and hope it is faster...not fun and what VTA is about.

Hence the RPM limit for us. This allows racers to adjust the gearing and timing to suit their needs/wants, as long as they don't exceed the RPM limit.

We love it. Not saying it needs to be a rule change, just sharing a success story at our track.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Vaterra 1969 Camaro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fup5F_VprB4
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mera'din
How do we keep an eye on cheating, we don't. So far though we are all having fun and that is the important part.
Thats the way it is at our track, no one worries about cheating because we are having too much fun. I generally run 1+ seconds behind the front runners. Thats not due to my motor tho because no one pulls me in the str8, its due to my driving line not being nearly as clean and smooth as their's are.

Originally Posted by thrasher05
in my opinion the rules are fine if u run a tc3 or tc4 but ive got a t3 2012 and with a ea battery i still have 143 grams to make the 1550 mark and to tell u the truth its not worth the hasle im starting to rethink the usvta thing and maybe go gt or tc and anyone who says the rules are there to help guys with older cars crap not everyone wants a late 90s car or early 2000 some want something a little nicer the weight thing is just killing me
I run a T4'13 and it took right at 102g or so to get it up to weight with my EA battery. I stacked 70g in the center under/beside the belt, 7g under the steering bellcrank, and have 21g-f/14g-r on my battery. The 35g total on the battery is what it took to get my t3'12 USGT car to balanced weight too, so it all worked out. I run an HPI '68 Camaro, HPI DT1 dual drivers figures, and goo'd nose on the car.
We'll put my body on your car friday night and see what we come up with, I actually have 2 bodies set up like that.

There is nothing that prevents someone with a full VTA car from running here. We have a RPM limit but that is easy to adjust to, the same as adjusting to a track at a national event. Every event/track someone races at requires different setups and ours is no different.

The point of VTA at our local club is to have a friendly class that is slow and controlled. The VTA formula works at our track and we have a great time. Our track measures 25' x 55' with typical lap times around 8 seconds for the fast guys.
I can see now why you'd want to slow them down, that is a small track which usually translates into some fun racing.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

We race every Friday night at the local hobby town in Sioux Falls South Dokota. Stop on by and bring your car.

http://www.hobbytown.com/Sioux_Falls-SD_Racing/

We can help you get you car tuned to the rpm limit. Takes almost no time as long as you have a few gears with you or a car that others are running, we can go by what they are running to get close.

We had a fdr limit...didn't work. At the slow speeds we are running (6.9 is slow) the differences in motors is huge. There is nothing you can do to speed it up either as everyone is at the timing limit and gear limit. If you have a slow car you are s.o.l. You will just have to trust me, we tested every which way. I drove their cars (and I win a lot too) and there is a difference. Our tract is small and to be .8 off the pace is huge. Doing nothing else and swapping the motors with one of the fast guys Motors brought their speeds and times up. You won't convince me it is anything other than differences in motor.

On large tracks with no fdr limit this is insignificant, you can adjust gearing and timing to keep pace. Not on our track. Out local goal is slower, closer matched cars. The only way to effectively spec this was a rpm limit and the handheld tach is the simplest, easiest solution track side.

It works awesome and people are having more fun, the leaders stay closer together for longer and it is more of a race. I love it.
I'm glad that you guys found something that's simple and works for you. If I'm ever in your area, I'd love to race there.

If the better drivers are still winning, and everyone is having more fun, then the RPM limit is a big success.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gijoe64
ray, I am guessing that body is 200mm based on the rim sizes 26/30mm. When will it be offered in an unpainted version? Your guy's website says painted version available early April.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
ray, I am guessing that body is 200mm based on the rim sizes 26/30mm. When will it be offered in an unpainted version? Your guy's website says painted version available early April.
The 1969 Camaro is not 200mm it standard 1/10 body.

We will offer both painted and unpainted, we wanted to make our bodies a cut above the rest.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys, just wanted to drop off our "A" Main video from this past weekends SLOWbirds at Horsham (home of the 2013 Roar Nats)....We had a total of 27 USVTA cars for this event, our biggest yet!

We're still having fun with USVTA here in the Northeast....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Love the "trophy wall" in the background. I always wondered where old RC bodies go to die...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.