Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF
Totally agree!!! I like the USVTA rules because I dont want to hear no crying that I have a better motor, esc, chassis, tires, body, haircut, shoes, etc, than the guys that aren't as fast. Having the same or very similar equipment is what make this a fun spec class. Opening it up the motor and esc of the week will ruin its intent and cost more in the long run because people will buy new stuff to keep up. Run 17.5 or USGT if you want options.
Honestly, you can do that right now in USVTA if you wanted to.

One guy faster ... must be the newer tires he has! ... I got to buy new tires!

Another guy faster ... must be that Novak Boss Edition motor he has! ... I got to buy that motor!

Another guy faster ... must be those 1000C 5000mah packs he has! ... I got to buy that battery!

One more guy faster ... must be that new approved ESC he has! ... I got to buy that ESC!

By default unless you are running the EXACT same gear as someone else, and even there you will have variances as some stuff is more "equal" than others, you always can have someone complaining about the fact your gear has an advantage over someone else's gear. Just the nature of racing regardless if its spec class or not.

How the class vibe goes is up to the racers who actually run the class. If you want it fun and lighthearted, take it as such. If you want it serious like life or death, there is a crowd for that too, regardless if its USVTA, USGT, Touring, Underwater Basketweaving ...
Old 12-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by NutDriver
I want to find a skeleton body to use as a driver!
hmm, Old He-Man Skeletor head could work out ....
Old 12-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

With all the prep for the ROAR Nats here in February, this one got lost.

Originally Posted by HobbyPLEX
Get ready for the 1st Annual HobbyPLEX USVTA WINTER NATIONALS!!!!

Here is the basic info to get things started, we'll have much more info and news in the following month!

Where: HobbyTown HobbyPLEX, Omaha, NE

When: January 3rd - 5th

Classes:
--USVTA Trans Am - USVTA Rules
--USVTA USGT - USVTA Rules (Ride Spec tires)
--17.5 TC - ROAR Rules
--13.5 1/12th - ROAR Rules

Entry: $35 First / $20 Each Additional

Schedule:
Friday Practice NOON - 9PM
Saturday
-Practice 7AM - 9:30AM
-Trans Am & USGT Concourse - 9:45AM
-Qualifying @ 10:30AM
**Three Rounds, resort between each
**Trans Am & USGT heads up starts, Lemans for TA, Grid for USGT, 6 minutes
**TC & 1/12 IFMAR starts, TC 6 minutes, 1/12th 8 minutes
Sunday
-Practice 7AM - 9AM
-Mains @ 10AM
**Trans Am & USGT two bumps from "B", 8 minute lower, 10 minute triple "A"s
**TC & 1/12th one bump from "B", TC 6 min, 1/12th 8 min, single mains

Again, we'll have much more info in the next month. Get these dates on your calendars and be ready for an awesome weekend of racing to start 2014!!!

Thanks,

Tim Ski
Link on over if you have questions. http://www.rctech.net/forum/nebraska...nationals.html

Thanks,

Tim Ski

Last edited by HobbyPLEX; 12-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
You will spend around $110 to get a 17.5 car legal for roar VTA with a Speed Passion motor, to get the same car up to usvta spec you are spending $250+. We run both usvta & roar in FL, given a choice I prefer the roar rules.
How about the guy that runs a nitro monster truck for fun on weekends who stops in the local shop/indoor track for parts on a race day, sees VTA cars running and says "Hey, I want to get involved..." Catering to those already racing increases the start-up cost for those looking to get started for the first time - and that's what the ROAR ruleset implicitly promotes.

I'm not debating the fact that the initial startup cost is less if you already have equipment (in fact, my previous post stated as such) - but those without the "right" equipment already in their possession (or no equipment at all) will end up spending more than $250 to keep up with the best drivers using "state of the art" top-shelf equipment.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

This has been said many times; No amount of money spent on the latest and greatest equipment will substitute for driving skills. More track time, practice, and car setup will make you much faster then the X of the week. If you can't drive a whole race without hitting crap then you are going to lose to the people who can.

Also I am a big fan of the USVTA rule set. Adding more options for electronics and motors for this class just adds more variables and "what if's." That leads to people spending more money, because "what if I had X" would that make me faster???

People who get into the hobby need to understand that most of the people in it have been doing this for a long time. So if someone expects to jump into racing any class without putting in time practicing, they will never compete with the fast guys no matter what they spend. The key is to set realistic goals when starting out. For a while for me it was don't get last. Then I got a little better and it was finish in the middle of the pack. Now it's try to finish in the top 1/4. Even if I do not reach my goals I don't get mad, I still have fun and that is the reason I race.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
You can use whatever you want for a driver figure as long as it's got a head and shoulders. You could use just the a upper body of a barbie if you wanted.

Otherwise the non painted driver figure you could make one with a pink helmet or something.
Did someone say PINK?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Howard,
You really need the old Porsche "Pink Pig" car and install that as the driver.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Howard,
You really need the old Porsche "Pink Pig" car and install that as the driver.
I'm planning on it. Thanks for letting me know about the Porsche. Can you (or anybody else) suggest an easy way to make the lettering?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
You can use whatever you want for a driver figure as long as it's got a head and shoulders. You could use just the a upper body of a barbie if you wanted.

From USVTA rules:

Otherwise the non painted driver figure you could make one with a pink helmet or something.
Just be sure you have it firmly attached to the chassis. I found out that a Snoopy head rolling across the track at the Southern Nationals can be quite ironic.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

They are trying to get a Vintage Trans-Am class started at a local track here in San Antonio . I still have my old Camaro/Cyclone I raced under the original Trans am rules. I've checked the Vintage website to see what changes I need to make. Other than the new motor and the driver head and shoulder, the only question I have is on the ESC. Quite frankly there is contradictory info in the rules I down loaded on what ESC is allowed. In one place it specifies one specific ESC, in another it says that ESC or any ROAR approved stock class ESC (which I assume means blinky stock with no timing). I have the Tekin RS PRO ESC with the new software that has the ROAR approved blinky stock option. Is that considered legal for Trans AM?

Also noticed a statement that a new spec tire will be used starting in January. Doesn't look much like vintage Trans Am tires and its not in stock. Any comments - I don't want to buy tires that I cannot use

Last edited by John Wallace2; 12-06-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
They are trying to get a Vintage Trans-Am class started at a local track here in San Antonio . I still have my old Camaro/Cyclone I raced under the original Trans am rules. I've checked the Vintage website to see what changes I need to make. Other than the new motor and the driver head and shoulder, the only question I have is on the ESC. Quite frankly there is contradictory info in the rules I down loaded on what ESC is allowed. In one place it specifies one specific ESC, in another it says that ESC or any ROAR approved stock class ESC (which I assume means blinky stock with no timing). I have the Tekin RS PRO ESC with the new software that has the ROAR approved blinky stock option. Is that considered legal for Trans AM?

Also noticed a statement that a new spec tire will be used starting in January. Doesn't look much like vintage Trans Am tires and its not in stock. Any comments - I don't want to buy tires that I cannot use
Negative. There is no ambiguity on the rules from the USVTA website. Spells out exactly which ESCs are approved. Who knows about the Roar VTA rules...?

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/

The new Spec tire is for USGT. This class is "ruled over" by the same people that do USVTA. It is lower on the page. Look for the USGT header. I think that is where you are confusing the two sections.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

John, it sounds like you may be mixing up the rules for USVTA and USGT. Let me explain...

Here is the link to the official USVTA and USGT rules. Note that the USVTA rules are near the top of the page. The USGT rules are below.
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

Generally speaking, these are great rules to follow and I support them. Yes, there is a spec tire for USVTA, but it's the same tire we've used for a long time. It's also in stock and readily available. USGT just started using a spec tire (for next year) and it's sometimes out of stock, but quickly replenished.

Here's where things can get a bit confusing.... ROAR also has a VTA class (referred to as "ROAR VTA"). Basically the rules are identical to USVTA rules with a couple exceptions: Any ESC is legal provided it is in "blinky" mode. And any 25.5T ROAR approved motor is legal. Someone can correct me, but I believe those are the only rules differences.

So if you're legal for USVTA, you're legal for ROAR VTA.....but not necessarily the other way around. Here in Austin we're "unofficially" running ROAR VTA I suppose. So we have some people running high end ESCs. It's quite likely they have a slight competitive advantage because of this, but their electronics aren't legal if they go to a track that runs USVTA rules. And this is the reason I just suggest people run USVTA legal equipment.

Good luck and hopefully we can race together soon! It's a fantastic class!
Tommy
Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R

Here's where things can get a bit confusing.... ROAR also has a VTA class (referred to as "ROAR VTA"). Basically the rules are identical to USVTA rules with a couple exceptions: Any ESC is legal provided it is in "blinky" mode. And any 25.5T ROAR approved motor is legal. Someone can correct me, but I believe those are the only rules differences.
I believe the only difference other than those mentioned above would be there's no restriction on battery capacity.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Legend

for you guys that also run USGT, how much of a difference did you notice setup wise?

thinking of picking up the body and motor needed to be able to run it as a second class with my same chassis or setup my daughters vehicle for it on days she can go race.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

I did that. I started with my VTA setup. But due to the tires being so different, you'll have to adjust ride height, droop, camber, that sort of stuff.

Shocks, springs, etc... are all the same. This is good enough for me to go run and have fun.

The serious USGT guys will probably tell you that it is not easy to switch back and forth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.