Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2944Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 03-08-2023, 09:06 AM
  #16366  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
JCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dayton,OH
Posts: 1,659
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
Ever since Schumacher took over, they have been a little "different". The old Pit tires were great. I don't know if the newer CRC tires are still of the big batch they had bought from Pit back in the day or they have finally moved over to a new contract order with Schumacher.

I've driven on Pits and newer Schumacher/CRC tires for about a decade combined (half on asphalt, half on carpet). Tried many different F1 tires but the latest that seem to be as fast (maybe faster), might be the new Exotek tires. I still have limited testing on them but they seem like the real deal. I'm running soft red compound front and rear on black carpet.
I have run the Exotek red compound tires on our black carpet track, the fronts seem to be good but the rear wasn't soft enough. It was very hard to get enough heat in the rears to hook up, but the couple times I did the car was at least as good as with CRC. We now have a new set of the super soft compound rears I hope to get to check out this weekend. Our indoor track isn't kept really warm in the winter air temp usually between 64-68* F, I've never thought to check the actual track temp, but I will this weekend.
dman18t likes this.
JCarr is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 08:33 AM
  #16367  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 123
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JCarr
I have run the Exotek red compound tires on our black carpet track, the fronts seem to be good but the rear wasn't soft enough. It was very hard to get enough heat in the rears to hook up, but the couple times I did the car was at least as good as with CRC. We now have a new set of the super soft compound rears I hope to get to check out this weekend. Our indoor track isn't kept really warm in the winter air temp usually between 64-68* F, I've never thought to check the actual track temp, but I will this weekend.
I tried the super softs last weekend. They work great on low/med grip black carpet. I tried the red's a when they first came out & couldn't get the rears to work either. The new super softs are great.
JCarr likes this.
AsphaltFlyer is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 10:45 AM
  #16368  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

The new Exotek Super Soft rears look like the ticket on carpet.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Leester is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 10:48 AM
  #16369  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fat500
dman....ever since the magic ingredient is no longer available for the tires (They are made without it now ) The grip is not as good and the wear is waayyy faster...this is for all tires across the onroad spectrum including TC and f1. If you find a tire that works you may just have to change them more frequently. On Asphalt we used to run Gravity for a whole year on 1 set. now we run team powers but we have to change the rears every 5-6 runs or the lap times go up quickly. The exotek tires have been good but we need more guys using them here. IMO the exotek will be the tire to use going forward. Happy Racing
The secret ingredient that is no longer being used is butyl. Ever since Dick Rutan used butyl for rocket fuel in his attempt to be the first privateer to put a rocket in outer space, the US has banned it as a substance that is volatile / flammable and could cause a fire or explosion. In the 29 years racing RC cars, I've never seen nor heard of an RC tire start on fire! LOL
robk and Rick Vessell like this.
Leester is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 10:02 PM
  #16370  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,808
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Are the super softs comparable to 20R tires ?
bertrandsv87 is offline  
Old 03-11-2023, 07:26 PM
  #16371  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
JCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dayton,OH
Posts: 1,659
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I got to try a set of the super soft tires today on my newly converted CW Ultra. After a few initial adjustments to the front end, the car was money. Rear grip was definitely not an issue anymore. Track temp was 66F air temp was 67F. I'm very pleased with these tires as they look to give the crc a run for their money, in my opinion.
MikeR likes this.
JCarr is offline  
Old 03-13-2023, 01:27 AM
  #16372  
Tech Master
iTrader: (51)
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bakersfield, Ca
Posts: 1,617
Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know where i can get the halo, and side mirrors for a f1 body? Also looking to what rear diffuser that might work on the Exotek. Rear light also would be a good addition.

Last edited by Typeone; 03-13-2023 at 01:56 AM.
Typeone is online now  
Old 03-13-2023, 07:35 AM
  #16373  
Tech Adept
 
Acid_CZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valachian Kingdom
Posts: 207
Default

Just curious if anyone tested Hot Race F1 Asphalt tyres? They seems to be mandatory for some series this summer and I am not sure if I want to invest my time if they don't work..
Acid_CZ is offline  
Old 03-13-2023, 07:58 AM
  #16374  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 282
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JCarr
I got to try a set of the super soft tires today on my newly converted CW Ultra. After a few initial adjustments to the front end, the car was money. Rear grip was definitely not an issue anymore. Track temp was 66F air temp was 67F. I'm very pleased with these tires as they look to give the crc a run for their money, in my opinion.
Were you running the Red fronts? What adjustments did you make to the front end?
Red141 is offline  
Old 03-13-2023, 09:24 AM
  #16375  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
JCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dayton,OH
Posts: 1,659
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Red141
Were you running the Red fronts? What adjustments did you make to the front end?
Yes, red fronts. I put the front on my extremely old 3racing set up gauges initially and the front wasn't right. Ended up just eyeballing the toe and camber to make them "even", that helped a ton. My front reds were not glued at all and made the car really flip happy so, I borrowed a set that had been glued and it calmed the car down. I think they had a little too much glue, but it was good enough to get a feel for the setup. Short answer long, 0 toe and 1-1.5* camber and not sure on caster I think it's around 8*.
Red141 likes this.
JCarr is offline  
Old 03-14-2023, 04:15 PM
  #16376  
PDR
Tech Elite
iTrader: (31)
 
PDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,151
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Typeone
Does anyone know where i can get the halo, and side mirrors for a f1 body? Also looking to what rear diffuser that might work on the Exotek. Rear light also would be a good addition.
I have a halo model (see pic) that I can scale in length/width independently to fit different bodies. As for lights, in the US, these guys appear to be showing stock: https://rcmadness.com/product/rc-f1-light-combo/ (maybe ring them, they likely have the version for the Mon-tech '22 rear wing).
Or, I'll have more in the next few days here: https://www.tindie.com/products/phat...1-light-combo/

Rick Vessell, dman18t and Fredp1 like this.
PDR is offline  
Old 03-14-2023, 04:52 PM
  #16377  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 39
Default

Originally Posted by Leester
The new Exotek Super Soft rears look like the ticket on carpet.
I am a total newbie with f1 cars so forgive me on a possibly dumb question. I am running on crc black carpet and the rear end of my car is massively loose after switching to the super softs. If I hold constant throttle in a sweeper the rear end initially bites then totally loses all grip and the car swaps ends. Is there a special protocol for breaking the tires in, maybe something I am missing for saucing, or is something massively wrong with my setup?
tuxkilla is offline  
Old 03-15-2023, 01:52 AM
  #16378  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 6
Default

what a great build! I loved it
olivermoore is offline  
Old 03-15-2023, 03:14 AM
  #16379  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
JCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dayton,OH
Posts: 1,659
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tuxkilla
I am a total newbie with f1 cars so forgive me on a possibly dumb question. I am running on crc black carpet and the rear end of my car is massively loose after switching to the super softs. If I hold constant throttle in a sweeper the rear end initially bites then totally loses all grip and the car swaps ends. Is there a special protocol for breaking the tires in, maybe something I am missing for saucing, or is something massively wrong with my setup?
If you post your entire setup, it will be easier to suggest changes. Though, with limited information the first thing I would say is to look at your chassis in the rear on the sides and make sure it's not contacting the carpet. What you describe is a symptom of that.
JCarr is offline  
Old 03-15-2023, 03:04 PM
  #16380  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,061
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The PDR halos are great! The best I've had!!!!
Dan the Man and PDR like this.
BullFrog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.