Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2816Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 AM
  #15016  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gardena
Posts: 462
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

I think we need independent rear suspension with toe adjustments. The cost of modern pan cars is the same as tc cars two years ago. I think its time to take one giant step forward.
photeckk is offline  
Old 01-30-2020, 04:24 PM
  #15017  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 506
Default

Originally Posted by JoeyE
TAMIYA does have a full independent suspension F1 car. But it's AWD. I guess you can just convert it to RWD
And it was horrible!!! I had the 201, hated it. Way too heavy, didn't even drive well. Let that one die.

Fgx design is good, just need decent manufacturers to make it with decent quality materials. I would love an independent car rwd, a shake up would be cool!
dman18t is offline  
Old 01-30-2020, 05:00 PM
  #15018  
Tech Master
iTrader: (45)
 
JoeyE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,896
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dman18t
And it was horrible!!! I had the 201, hated it......
LOL, I loved it. I always have fun with these rc toys.
JoeyE is offline  
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM
  #15019  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,342
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I raced the Tamiya F201 in a couple TCS races on carpet and had fun since it was all F201 cars. I also raced the F201 at a TCS race that was outdoor asphalt that unfortunately got rained out. It ended up being an all day rain and we don't normally race in the rain in the USA. The 4wd actually worked well in my heat as the rain was just starting/light. Lastly I raced the car locally in lightly prepped asphalt parking lots (swept and sugar water), and the 4wd nature of the car worked well over cracks and bumps.

In my opinion the Tamiya F201 was a decent entry level kit. Unfortunately it didn't last long enough to get the usual Tamiya kit upgrades (No Pro or R version). There were some decent upgrades from Tamiya and aftermarket companies though.

I think the biggest issue with the car wasn't the design, but that it wasn't/couldn't be raced with the existing F1 cars of that era. Limited gearing of the F201 (only 2 gear ratio options from Tamiya) meant that car was slow compared to other 2wd F1 cars with the same motor. You could run a faster motor such as a 19-turn brushed in the F201 and 27-turn brushed in 2wd F1 and get similar speeds (depending on track size). But running different turn motors in the same class only works in open mod classes.

The Tamiya F201 might be an interesting side note in R/C F1 history, but it was a fun car to race once you got the setup right for the track conditions.
IndyRC_Racer is offline  
Old 01-31-2020, 02:27 PM
  #15020  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
fox88gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FDL, WI
Posts: 527
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I raced the Tamiya F201 in a couple TCS races on carpet and had fun since it was all F201 cars. I also raced the F201 at a TCS race that was outdoor asphalt that unfortunately got rained out. It ended up being an all day rain and we don't normally race in the rain in the USA. The 4wd actually worked well in my heat as the rain was just starting/light. Lastly I raced the car locally in lightly prepped asphalt parking lots (swept and sugar water), and the 4wd nature of the car worked well over cracks and bumps.

In my opinion the Tamiya F201 was a decent entry level kit. Unfortunately it didn't last long enough to get the usual Tamiya kit upgrades (No Pro or R version). There were some decent upgrades from Tamiya and aftermarket companies though.

I think the biggest issue with the car wasn't the design, but that it wasn't/couldn't be raced with the existing F1 cars of that era. Limited gearing of the F201 (only 2 gear ratio options from Tamiya) meant that car was slow compared to other 2wd F1 cars with the same motor. You could run a faster motor such as a 19-turn brushed in the F201 and 27-turn brushed in 2wd F1 and get similar speeds (depending on track size). But running different turn motors in the same class only works in open mod classes.

The Tamiya F201 might be an interesting side note in R/C F1 history, but it was a fun car to race once you got the setup right for the track conditions.

I really enjoyed my F201, and still have it today as a shelf queen with the Ferrari F2001 body, 3Racing carbon fiber chassis, Tamiya Option Parts springs, and adjustable turnbuckles. I still have the "carbon" print body and a clear body for it too. Our local club had a small F1 class about 10 years ago before the big F1 revival, a run what you brung kind of class. They were fun but the front suspension pickup point on the front diff housing was so prone to breaking, mine got broken by a corner marshal setting the car down too hard.

But alas, after years of RC F1 racing with my F104, I agree that the price of F1 chassis today are absurd these days and don't race anymore.
fox88gt is offline  
Old 01-31-2020, 05:32 PM
  #15021  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 506
Default

Originally Posted by fox88gt
I really enjoyed my F201, and still have it today as a shelf queen with the Ferrari F2001 body, 3Racing carbon fiber chassis, Tamiya Option Parts springs, and adjustable turnbuckles. I still have the "carbon" print body and a clear body for it too. Our local club had a small F1 class about 10 years ago before the big F1 revival, a run what you brung kind of class. They were fun but the front suspension pickup point on the front diff housing was so prone to breaking, mine got broken by a corner marshal setting the car down too hard.

But alas, after years of RC F1 racing with my F104, I agree that the price of F1 chassis today are absurd these days and don't race anymore.
$250-400 is still half the cost of a TC. My Roche is cheap and it works awesome, better than any other F1 I've had.(104, 201, TRF 101). There really isn't a racer's class you can run cheaper than F1. (Tamiya truck but it's entry level).
dman18t is offline  
Old 02-01-2020, 10:31 AM
  #15022  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (50)
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 2,355
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Bored so I was playing around
JoeyE and G-rem like this.
fat500 is offline  
Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM
  #15023  
Tech Master
iTrader: (45)
 
JoeyE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,896
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fat500
Bored so I was playing around

...with the action figure doll or the rc car?
JoeyE is offline  
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 PM
  #15024  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 40
Default

How do you post youtube videos so that they show here instead of as a link?

Edit: nvm figured out it's just pasting the watch link.
tamiya4life is offline  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:50 AM
  #15025  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,198
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Fully independent F1 cars would be very cool, but it would spiral out of control quickly. Not good for a smaller class. I have an F201 with the Eagle chassis, converted to 2wd. It's super fun especially on big outdoor tracks. I just don't want to know what would happen to prices and complexity if we had Xray/Awesomatix/Yokomo full suspension cars.
Rick Vessell likes this.
robk is offline  
Old 02-02-2020, 12:53 PM
  #15026  
Tech Regular
 
GT CRUSING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California
Posts: 389
Default

Originally Posted by robk
Fully independent F1 cars would be very cool, but it would spiral out of control quickly. Not good for a smaller class. I have an F201 with the Eagle chassis, converted to 2wd. It's super fun especially on big outdoor tracks. I just don't want to know what would happen to prices and complexity if we had Xray/Awesomatix/Yokomo full suspension cars.
Yea But a new chassis from those manufactures are in the 300-500$ range. A idependent F1 would be around 400$, still not bad.
GT CRUSING is offline  
Old 02-02-2020, 03:05 PM
  #15027  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 506
Default

No more complicated than a pancar. Instead of 2 chassis plates, Independent would have 1. Pancar has 2 bulkheads for the pod, independent would be the same. Really just use the back end of a current TC with special hubs for F1 wheels. Of course you would need a special motor mount/ transfer case but we aren't talking anything too crazy. Should end up the same price give or take. Nice thing would be able to use TC gear diff and shocks. If the Sakura is under $200, surely a decent manufacturer could do it for less the $400.
dman18t is offline  
Old 02-03-2020, 04:41 PM
  #15028  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by robk
Fully independent F1 cars would be very cool, but it would spiral out of control quickly. Not good for a smaller class. I have an F201 with the Eagle chassis, converted to 2wd. It's super fun especially on big outdoor tracks. I just don't want to know what would happen to prices and complexity if we had Xray/Awesomatix/Yokomo full suspension cars.
Unfortunately with higher powered motors the F201 ring gear and counter gears wear down when converted to RWD. The power is better distributed with 4wd and braking is also much more consistent. Tamiya seriously should look into a rwd F1 even if it's not to compete against pan cars.
​​​​​​
tamiya4life is offline  
Old 02-08-2020, 01:01 PM
  #15029  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (50)
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 2,355
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default


asake likes this.
fat500 is offline  
Old 02-08-2020, 01:03 PM
  #15030  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (50)
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 2,355
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default


MikeR, dawgmeat, asake and 1 others like this.
fat500 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.