Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanzo3
Picked up a M-05 pro and put in a Savox 1251 servo in it. I have traction roll with this car on our local carpet track (TQ Raceway). I feel like during a turn, the car is only on 3 wheels like it is rocking back and forth. Is this due to a fast servo? I am running sweep 28 premounts.
I don't have traction roll problems on carpet with my MO5.I run the ride height to the point that the suspension arms are flat or level all the way across,front and rear. I run a hard front tire and med in the rear,50wt oil up front and 60wt in the rear. I run the blue springs up front and red on the rear. this set up works on both asphalt and carpet.What I have found is that with this set up I don't need traction compound on the tires at all. But that my set up it may not work for someone else.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Picked up a M-05 pro and put in a Savox 1251 servo in it. I have traction roll with this car on our local carpet track (TQ Raceway). I feel like during a turn, the car is only on 3 wheels like it is rocking back and forth. Is this due to a fast servo? I am running sweep 28 premounts.
I run indoor and I will make a few suggestions that also might help.

1. Add weight to your car at the front, lead shot behind the bumper helps; 1350kg is a typical weight for my cars.
2. Try lowering your ride hide at the front and slightly higher at the rear with yellow springs at the rear blue at the front.
3. I run a higher weight damper oil for indoor but start off around 50W and play with it from there.

Try doing small changes at a time and note the characteristics or the "feel" of the car from there.

John
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr_Gleeman
1350kg is a typical weight for my cars.
im sure if it weighed that much it wouldnt traction roll
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes Brad, you anticipated well and it aint going nowhere she's rock solid!

Infact the other handy hint is better traction up front as well
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

What works best on the M-05 as far as diff's go???
Ball diff or a gear diff that's been shimmed?

This would apply to a Tarmac setup, thanks!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I always ran my M05L @1250g and it never traction rolled on carpet no matter how hard I threw it into the corner. And thats without swaybars as they weren't available last year. I'd start by making sure your low enough in the front. I usually run it about 3.5mm at the center up front and about 4.5mm rear. The glue on the sidewall will work...but you need to experiment with the amount of glue. A lot will sometimes take away too much steering. Id also use 40 wt oil f & r with short yellows up front and short blues out back.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default m05

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
What works best on the M-05 as far as diff's go???
Ball diff or a gear diff that's been shimmed?

This would apply to a Tarmac setup, thanks!!!!
hello i run both put i perfer the ta03 ball diff also do not use balldiff grease for the diff balls use anti wear grease and make shure the diff is tight.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

hanzo3,

I am unsure of your driving style, but with the mini you need to be smooth, otherwise the car will traction roll. I also notice that you are using sweep 28's that are pre mounted, I know they make 25's, 33's and 40's but not 28's, must be another grade of tyre we do not get in Oz, however they may be part of your issue.

Have you tried other tyres or are they the gun type of tyres at your track. I would ask one of the fast guy's at the track for some tips and ask for assistance from him. They should be able to assits with some ideas. The Ca tip does work, however I have never tried it on a 55mm diameter tyre before. I think most people use it on the Tamiya M grip, Standard Kit tyre and S grip, so the side wall has less flex.

Ride height is the critical component on a mini when racing on carpet and using a tyre that will work on this surface. I have seen that Express mini tyres work well on the rear and HPI M grip fronts are good. This combination does not require the side walls to be glued as they are stiff. The use of a stiffer rim is advisable also, as the sweeps are mounted on a very flexible rim which may also be causing the issue. A stiff rim like Yeah Racing or the Tamiya Swift rim would be a better option. On asphelt or concrete surface the sweep rim would be better with a firmer fitted insert, depending on which end of the car it is fitted.

All of the information that has been offered is sound advice from experienced racers. As mentioned change one thing at a time and see if the handling changes. The extra weight works in Oz as with the BL system we have more grunt out of the corners and want more traction.

BTW

When I run on carpet, the only change I make to the car is the tyres and drop the ride height if I use 60mm Tamiya tyres. Everything else stays the same. If I use the 55mm tyre then ride height is already set.

Good luck with your racing.

Later,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 01-10-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: revised text
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The CA glue thing for carpet really only applies to the outside row of tread on the tire. Applying to the sidewall isn't necessary as the it won't roll under if the outside row of tread block is glued and allowed to slide a little.

How have you got your steering set? I ran my M-03 at 55-65% on sticky carpet. Made things a lot easier.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 01-11-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I was using 28's sweeps. Thanks for the tips guys. 55-65% of servo travel?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

I was using 28's sweeps. Thanks for the tips guys. 55-65% of servo travel?
In that case you must be running normal touring tyres on the car, because Sweep don't make a 28 for mini. 25, 33 & 40 only.

It's really interesting reading all the different opinions on Mini handling, some of which are complete opposites of one another and complete opposites of my experience!

One thing that is certain is that nothing stops grip-roll like glueing the front sidewall.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
In that case you must be running normal touring tyres on the car, because Sweep don't make a 28 for mini. 25, 33 & 40 only.

It's really interesting reading all the different opinions on Mini handling, some of which are complete opposites of one another and complete opposites of my experience!

One thing that is certain is that nothing stops grip-roll like glueing the front sidewall.
No you guys have to realize that you can set up a mini based upon tire handout rules. try going really heavy weight oil in the front with 2 hole piston and 3 hole in the rear with 40 weight sway bar in the rear and ride height about 4 mm all the way around
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge

sosidge - you're correct, the amount of different setups for a mini is astounding! And as for opposites, a few years ago I was running red springs all around, on TRF touring car shocks with 5+mm of droop with 80wt oil.
Now I run the shorter TRF mini shocks (no droop), super hard springs at the front and super soft at the rear with 40wt oil ... I'd say that's about the complete opposite

As for traction roll, throw more weight in the car, some minis get around fine weighing 1500 grams, try running wider hexes on the rear - 6mm and then 4mm on the front. Sway bar on the rear. Turn the amount of steering down, I get by with 70%.
Also try being smoother on the steering wheel, throwing full lock into the steering wheel every corner won't help ... and even braking before a corner and then powering through it can stop the traction roll.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by subaru73
hello i run both put i perfer the ta03 ball diff also do not use balldiff grease for the diff balls use anti wear grease and make shure the diff is tight.
Thanks Sub! good advice.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The CA glue thing for carpet really only applies to the outside row of tread on the tire. Applying to the sidewall isn't necessary as the it won't roll under if the outside row of tread block is glued and allowed to slide a little.

How have you got your steering set? I ran my M-03 at 55-65% on sticky carpet. Made things a lot easier.
putting the CA on the outer row of tread blocks, on the contact patch, effectively makes the tire more narrow and reduces front end grip. Maybe our carpet is super grippy, but in the last races of the night, after the track has fully grooved in, practically everyone in our club has to resort to the CA trick - even when using M04s/M05's running 55mm tires and 4mm clearance. Glue application is a finesse thing, as previously mentioned. Too much CA and the sidewall is too stiff, resulting in a loss of steering. I tried forever to get my M05 and M04 to avoid traction rolls by suspension settings and harder tires, but ultimately the CA trick done right proves to be the fastest in lap times for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.