Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 AM
  #14161  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

they are faster, and we will leave it at that, and depending on where and what rules you run they are illegal.
I)arkness is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM
  #14162  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Mini Spec Tires

I want to run Mini for the first time in my local TCS event this year. Although, I have raced for a long time, my Mini experience is nothing to speak of.

I see that Tamiya has a pre-built spec tire requirement for 2011 TCS (1016 Pre-Mounted Radial Tires 60D Super-Grip).

I want to practice using the spec tire/insert, but want to build the tire/insert/wheel myself (at a lower cost I assume).

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the tire and insert that match new spec setup? I assume the tires and inserts are available separately???

Thanks!
Geppetto is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM
  #14163  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
mangoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,981
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey
Just a question, are the older jhonson 540 4 vent motors legal, not the rs black can ones but just the normal silver can 4 vent? I have one and eveyone is saying they are faster..I dont think they are any faster just wondering, cause it doesnt say anywhere in the tcs rules you cant run one thanks.
Ive never seen one, but ive heard of them and everyone i know of who had heard of them has said they are faster. Although that was with respect to touring cars.

It is possible that the difference is not so noticeable in a mini where the gearing is fixed or may even be slower if it is a different power range.
If it's not faster why do you ask? Most people have silver cans, especially a proper tamiya silver can motor if you have an M03 or M05.
mangoman is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
  #14164  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey
Just a question, are the older jhonson 540 4 vent motors legal, not the rs black can ones but just the normal silver can 4 vent? I have one and eveyone is saying they are faster..I dont think they are any faster just wondering, cause it doesnt say anywhere in the tcs rules you cant run one thanks.
I've had/have a couple 4 slots and they are faster, pound for pound.

Tamiya lists a part number for the current legal Johnson silver can motors, 4 slot aint it.
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM
  #14165  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (33)
 
Blitzrockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: B.C Canada
Posts: 2,183
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Was wondering cause I have. Brand new one sitting here I had been using it but it doesn't seem any faster then the other guys 2 slot. Either way was just wondering. From what I read they r just the older style jhonson motor. Thanks guys.
Blitzrockey is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM
  #14166  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey
Just a question, are the older jhonson 540 4 vent motors legal, not the rs black can ones but just the normal silver can 4 vent? I have one and eveyone is saying they are faster..I dont think they are any faster just wondering, cause it doesnt say anywhere in the tcs rules you cant run one thanks.
The 4 slots were generally about 2,000 rpm quicker than 540J at 5v. When new they weren't noticeably faster, but as they wore in, they became much better. You didn't read the rules cause TCS specifies the 540J, part #53689. Also the motor rules specify a certain rpm limit and how the motor will be tested. Your 4 slot would flunk the rpm test unless it is sub par.
Granpa is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM
  #14167  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by Geppetto
I want to run Mini for the first time in my local TCS event this year. Although, I have raced for a long time, my Mini experience is nothing to speak of.

I see that Tamiya has a pre-built spec tire requirement for 2011 TCS (1016 Pre-Mounted Radial Tires 60D Super-Grip).

I want to practice using the spec tire/insert, but want to build the tire/insert/wheel myself (at a lower cost I assume).

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the tire and insert that match new spec setup? I assume the tires and inserts are available separately???

Thanks!
Insert----Hard inner sponge 53255
Tire----S Grip 53254
Wheel----Suzuki Swift 11 spoke rim
Granpa is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
  #14168  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
hairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Good ole' U.S.A.
Posts: 2,334
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Geppetto
I want to run Mini for the first time in my local TCS event this year. Although, I have raced for a long time, my Mini experience is nothing to speak of.

I see that Tamiya has a pre-built spec tire requirement for 2011 TCS (1016 Pre-Mounted Radial Tires 60D Super-Grip).

I want to practice using the spec tire/insert, but want to build the tire/insert/wheel myself (at a lower cost I assume).

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the tire and insert that match new spec setup? I assume the tires and inserts are available separately???

Thanks!
I think you will find that the spec prebuilt tire will cheaper in the long run
http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X1295...cs-2011-a.html try this link for the tires.
hairy is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
  #14169  
Tech Master
iTrader: (55)
 
hanzo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 1,293
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Picked up a M-05 pro and put in a Savox 1251 servo in it. I have traction roll with this car on our local carpet track (TQ Raceway). I feel like during a turn, the car is only on 3 wheels like it is rocking back and forth. Is this due to a fast servo? I am running sweep 28 premounts.
hanzo3 is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM
  #14170  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
Insert----Hard inner sponge 53255
Tire----S Grip 53254
Wheel----Suzuki Swift 11 spoke rim
Thanks!
Geppetto is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
  #14171  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hairy
I think you will find that the spec prebuilt tire will cheaper in the long run
try this link for the tires.
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I quickly discovered the cost of the individual wheels, tires and inserts is more. But, I already have a couple sets of wheels, so I'll save a little.

Thanks for the link too.
Geppetto is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 03:42 PM
  #14172  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (49)
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,876
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Gear Diff

I am looking for some ideas of what type of grease to run in the diff of my Mo5? I used up all my Tamiya grease that came with the kit. Should I try to find some more Tamiya grease or does something else work better? Thanks

Last edited by haywood; 01-10-2011 at 03:55 PM.
haywood is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM
  #14173  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hanzo3
Picked up a M-05 pro and put in a Savox 1251 servo in it. I have traction roll with this car on our local carpet track (TQ Raceway). I feel like during a turn, the car is only on 3 wheels like it is rocking back and forth. Is this due to a fast servo? I am running sweep 28 premounts.

a fast servo shouldn't be the cause of traction roll.

try raising the front roll center, going with less acherman on steering, and widen the front track. if these dont help then you will need to fiddle with suspension and tyres..
I)arkness is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
  #14174  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by haywood
I am looking for some ideas of what type of grease to run in the diff of my Mo5? I used up all my Tamiya grease that came with the kit. Should I try to find some more Tamiya grease or does something else work better? Thanks

the anti wear grease seems the best, as it is really thick and stick, and most of the time it tends to stay inside of the gear housing, rather spray all over the inside of the chassis.
I)arkness is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
  #14175  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
hprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 1,720
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by I)arkness
a fast servo shouldn't be the cause of traction roll.

try raising the front roll center, going with less acherman on steering, and widen the front track. if these dont help then you will need to fiddle with suspension and tyres..
On carpet, the grip level is too high and the car will traction roll even after you have dropped to the minimum ride height and tried all the other tweaks - including ones that negatively affect car handling and feel. The only real solution is to put a thin bead of CA glue on the sidewall of the front wheels; apply the CA on the outside radial edge of the sidewall where it meets the tire tread, but not actually on the tread. The purpose is to reduce grip when the tire folds over under extreme cornering - as the tire folds over, the CA becomes the outer edge of the contact patch which decreases traction and will eliminate traction roll.

Guaranteed to work.

Last edited by hprt; 01-10-2011 at 04:39 PM.
hprt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.