Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

KILLER DEAL CHECK IT OUT

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ded-cheap.html

PM For details
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

So I decided to run the Mo5 against the RCGT cars with 17.5 motors. Will a 10.5 keep up on the straight with stock gearing? Also what length should I be building my front and rear shocks to. Will be racing on prepped asphalt track.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default New to the M05 - chassis length and diff questions

I bought a used M05 which the guy had raced in the TCS series . Setup seems pretty good in front of the house, but looking to have some fun racing it soon and have questions.

1) It seems that most racers use the M chassis length. Mine came that way, but I wanted to run the later style Mini Coopper body, so I stretched it to the L length. Does this make a big difference in how the car will turn on asphalt as well as carpet?

2) Gear diff shimmed, ball diff, spool? Most of my racing is likley to be outdoors, decent sized tracks. I'd like to try working with the gear diff since that's what I have now, but would like to hear why guys lock up their ball diffs or run a spool. One guy toldd me he's heard of guys putting cotton in the gear diff to bind it uyp WOW!

3) Here in SoCal - does West Coast run strictly silver cans in these. I was hoping brushed motors were behind me?

Thanks for the insight.Hope to see ya'll soon at the track.

Clay
Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by clayrace24
I bought a used M05 which the guy had raced in the TCS series . Setup seems pretty good in front of the house, but looking to have some fun racing it soon and have questions.

1) It seems that most racers use the M chassis length. Mine came that way, but I wanted to run the later style Mini Coopper body, so I stretched it to the L length. Does this make a big difference in how the car will turn on asphalt as well as carpet?

2) Gear diff shimmed, ball diff, spool? Most of my racing is likley to be outdoors, decent sized tracks. I'd like to try working with the gear diff since that's what I have now, but would like to hear why guys lock up their ball diffs or run a spool. One guy toldd me he's heard of guys putting cotton in the gear diff to bind it uyp WOW!

3) Here in SoCal - does West Coast run strictly silver cans in these. I was hoping brushed motors were behind me?

Clay
I'll try and answer...

1. Although I have never run an L, I have run against L's and they seem to suffer no disadvantage. It's actually a setting I plan to try this winter because it gets more weight over the front axle and keeps it there under power. Might be an advantage on some tracks.

2. Diffs... I don't think there is a single person out there who likes to run the "open" gear diff when built to manual specs. You will notice the car "diffing out" mid corner and on corner exit - it's just SLOW. You can tighten up the standard gear diff in a variety of ways (shims, thick grease, blu-tack etc). These all work when you get into the "sweet spot" but I find them inconsistent - as the diff beds in, the grease or whatever gets pushed away from the gears and you are back to square one.

The ball diffs are a little more consistent in their setting, but to get the very stiff action you still need to build them with thick grease (eg Tamiya AW).

The best solution I've found is the 3Racing gear diff - a proper, fluid filled, sealed unit.

As far as spools go, I find that any diff with a very stiff action is undriveable and a spool would be the same. Some people seem to like them. I go for a medium action, enough to stop the diffing out without affecting stability and cornering. Before getting the 3Racing diff I was running the M-05 diff built (shock horror) NORMALLY and was getting good results.

3. All it takes to spoil sealed can brushed racing is for a couple of people to start tweaking them too much. Handouts work in that scenario. The motors are not the problem, the racers are.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

what oil do you run in your 3Racing gear diff ??
Old 09-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Smartypants
what oil do you run in your 3Racing gear diff ??
7K at the moment.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
7K at the moment.
Only 7K?

We use either 300000 or 500000 wt oil in the gear diff
Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does anyone in the US carry the 3racing oil gear diff?

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by clayrace24

Clay
The 3Racing gear diff seems to be gaining in popularity, but unfortunately not legal for TCS racing.

The Mini races at West Coast are pretty much TCS rules, but you can run any Mini sized rim or tire. You can use a 3Racing gear diff at WCR. It's stock Silvercans only just to keep expenses down. We race mainly on Tuesday nites and racing starts ar 7. Most of the guys are using Sweep 40s or 33s. At the present time I'm the only one using a LWB Mini and there are a couple of SWB cars. The rest are MWB and seem to be the quickest way to go.

We "police" the HOT silvercans so evryone is running a box stock motors. Just makes it more fun and it is really obvious if someone is running a "HOT" one.

Last edited by Granpa; 09-15-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
The 3Racing gear diff seems to be gaining in popularity, but unfortunately not legal for TCS racing.

The Mini races at West Coast are pretty much TCS rules, but you can run any Mini sized rim or tire. You can use a 3Racing gear diff at WCR. It's stock Silvercans only just to keep expenses down. We race mainly on Tuesday nites and racing starts ar 7. Most of the guys are using Sweep 40s or 33s. At the present time I'm the only one using a LWB Mini and there are a couple of SWB cars. The rest are MWB and seem to be the quickest way to go.

We "police" the HOT silvercans so evryone is running a box stock motors. Just makes it more fun and it is really obvious if someone is running a "HOT" one.
Grandpa - Are the Sweep tires and wheels smaller in diameter? If so, does that effect top end? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
Grandpa - Are the Sweep tires and wheels smaller in diameter? If so, does that effect top end? Thanks.
Sweeps are 55mm tires so obviously affect the top end. The only 60d tires that seem to work at West Coast Raceway are the kit tires and they only last one night. The Sweeps are the least "grippy" tires we've found for WCR, but have no idea how they would perform on another track surface.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

60D tires with bigger, harder inserts will last forever , and the top end is ridiculous compared to other smaller tires !!! I still have my first sets, just swap the rear tires to the front at every meet , and your good to go !
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Shimizu makes some decent 60D slicks. Might be worth looking at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.