Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by axle182
I've done one out of plaster of paris. Secure the body well tho, as you will get bulges where you don't want bulges if you know what I mean Of course this means nothing without a Vac Former. Do some research, its definitely possible, and can be a lot of fun, and a mass of headaches lol
U do it I'll sell them for you and buy one! I have a pregnant wife....I have MORE THAN ENOUGH headaches right now lol. And if I buy any of that stuff...and don't buy baby stuff....I'll be single first then dead lol
Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ER1c pointed out the TCS situation and that you could vary the tire diameter by stuffing. Unfortunately, by doing that, you will reduce grip by reducing the contact patch or area of the tire By the "ballooning" that inevitably occurs.. The only "successful" attempt at this I've seen is this one which was used to win
the TCS Nationals about 10 years ago. What was done was to double stuff, but the tire was glued to the outside edge of the wheel thus making the wheel itself larger an getting away from the "ballooning" and it's attendant loss of grip. This was addressed in the rules the following year.

Double stuffing belongs with the DoDo bird except in the hands of a "real" pro. It's an expensive deal cause if you guess wrong, you just wasted a set of tires, inserts and rims.
Agreed!

You really want to avoid double stuffing your tires ...I was just pointing out a reason that some did double stuff.

Honestly if your driving your car in a parking lot and not racing against others the tires won't matter a ton. I'd just get some S-Grips all around for parking lot fun. They'll work great. Yet I think you opted for the Shimuzu's? -those will be fine too. Sorry, if I missed what your purpose for dialing your car in was ...but if for bashing a lot of this stuff won't be too noticeable (in my opinion).
Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Okay, I am taking a one month break from racing. I have some personal stuff I am dealing with that is almost complete but this is also a good opportunity to go through all my cars (the mini in particular) and tweak and re-evaluate areas for improvement.

On order:
-Flourine coated Tamiya bearings to replace the nylon bearings I've been using.
-Lightweight rear wheel axles to shave a few more precious grams (I am about 5 grams over weight)
-Swapped my motor from a Revtech 21.5 to a Speed Passion "MMM" 21.5t. The revtech is a bit "blocky" in its movement and not smooth. --only way I can describe it. Also the lead driver is running a Speed Passion MMM at our club ...and I had one in my F1 ...so just doing a motor swap (my F1 is plenty fast thanks to gearing).
-Cleaned out inside of chassis and taped all seams and holes
-Sprayed a thin layer of silicone spray on internal gears (super thin/small amount just to get the gears slick)

--hoping i'll see some improvements w/ this change. As you can see most of my changes reflect the need to reduce friction in the wheels and gearing.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
Agreed!

You really want to avoid double stuffing your tires ...I was just pointing out a reason that some did double stuff.

Honestly if your driving your car in a parking lot and not racing against others the tires won't matter a ton. I'd just get some S-Grips all around for parking lot fun. They'll work great. Yet I think you opted for the Shimuzu's? -those will be fine too. Sorry, if I missed what your purpose for dialing your car in was ...but if for bashing a lot of this stuff won't be too noticeable (in my opinion).
You're pretty much right on with your advice. One reason to go with the Pit Shimizu tire is that it will out last the S-Grips by at least a factor of 3. For racing in an open tire 60D series it is a faster tire by 0.3 to 0.5 sec on a outdoor asphalt track. For bashing use some 456 in front and 452 in back and you'll go faster, set up easier, and save a ton of dough on tires. Win win for me. Guys who haven't used this tire will be stunned by how much better it is than the S-Grip.

Yeah, I know you're a TCS racer so have to use the S-Grip for racing. So am I, but still will throw on some PS just for fun. For your info, you can use the PS tire with no changes to your set up. You can't go the other way cause you can squeeze a little more out of the car with the PS tire and it won't translate as well. I do use the 454 tire in front tho with cyano on the sidewalls.

I hope you didn't think I was stepping on your post and wasn't intending to. I am very enthused about the 60D PS tire and was pushing that rather than disagreeing with anything you were saying.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
I knew I had good taste lol. I'll keep digging guys. There's one on ebay that's 100 bucks. Little steep.....
A little steep? Last batch of mini bodies I bought worked out to about $10 each. Had to buy in bulk. But, the HPI shells tended to sell for $20 Canadian when they were available. Someone's gouging!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
A little steep? Last batch of mini bodies I bought worked out to about $10 each. Had to buy in bulk. But, the HPI shells tended to sell for $20 Canadian when they were available. Someone's gouging!
Monkey if you get me an ek civic body I'll fly to Calgary and hug you myself. Also pay for it and shipping of course. Can you???!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Granpa you really have a vast array of knowledge..it's always a pleasure to read your posts! Thanks for saving me a set of tires i probably would have just wasted. I'm going to just pick up my foams and make them the normal way. Can't rush a good thing
Thanx, it's always nice to be appreciated.

Did want to comment on bodies bit. I've always felt that initially as you build up your skills, "if you ain't crashin', you're not trying hard enough". You have to test your limits, then push harder. That means, your first bodies will soon look like something that someone ran over. Don't spend a lot of time on "pretty" bodies in the beginning and learn how to patch them up. Window screening and silicone glue, Sho Goo, work as well as most things.

Paint----find a body you don't have to mask and can use a rattle can. Then go out and beat the crap out of it. You can paint a "pretty" body while you're learning how to drive and race.

On a personal note, my cancer is back so have started chemo treatments again. I'll have "good" days and "bad" days. Today's a "good" day so, posted a bit.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

I knew I had good taste lol. I'll keep digging guys. There's one on ebay that's 100 bucks. Little steep.....
Still easily available in the UK, I'm sure you could have one (or more) sent across the pond and have plenty of change from $100.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay, I am taking a one month break from racing. I have some personal stuff I am dealing with that is almost complete but this is also a good opportunity to go through all my cars (the mini in particular) and tweak and re-evaluate areas for improvement.

On order:
-Flourine coated Tamiya bearings to replace the nylon bearings I've been using.
-Lightweight rear wheel axles to shave a few more precious grams (I am about 5 grams over weight)
-Swapped my motor from a Revtech 21.5 to a Speed Passion "MMM" 21.5t. The revtech is a bit "blocky" in its movement and not smooth. --only way I can describe it. Also the lead driver is running a Speed Passion MMM at our club ...and I had one in my F1 ...so just doing a motor swap (my F1 is plenty fast thanks to gearing).
-Cleaned out inside of chassis and taped all seams and holes
-Sprayed a thin layer of silicone spray on internal gears (super thin/small amount just to get the gears slick)

--hoping i'll see some improvements w/ this change. As you can see most of my changes reflect the need to reduce friction in the wheels and gearing.
Interesting stuff, eR1c. Almost seems like you want to do a free wheel derby test. Remove pinion, place it on your chassis, and let your RC with body free wheel down the driveway with just steering control to see how far it will coast vs your other m-chassis.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
On a personal note, my cancer is back so have started chemo treatments again. I'll have "good" days and "bad" days. Today's a "good" day so, posted a bit.
Oh wow good luck with the treatments
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm posting this in case anyone missed it in the racing forum. It may give some of you ideas. Or nightmares!

Mega Mini Madness at the Brownie's Hobbies Sunday Grand Prix hosted by Jackson R/C
Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I know you're a TCS racer so have to use the S-Grip for racing. So am I, but still will throw on some PS just for fun. For your info, you can use the PS tire with no changes to your set up. You can't go the other way cause you can squeeze a little more out of the car with the PS tire and it won't translate as well. I do use the 454 tire in front tho with cyano on the sidewalls.

I hope you didn't think I was stepping on your post and wasn't intending to. I am very enthused about the 60D PS tire and was pushing that rather than disagreeing with anything you were saying.
Seriously, no, I don't feel you were stepping on my toes ...appreciate your input and what you've added to the conversation. All good!

------
I like your suggestion of the PS tires, ...yet I no longer run my cars on anything but a prepped track ...and when I do I like to try to run w/ what I race with ...to keep my skills up and continue to tweak my car.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting stuff, eR1c. Almost seems like you want to do a free wheel derby test. Remove pinion, place it on your chassis, and let your RC with body free wheel down the driveway with just steering control to see how far it will coast vs your other m-chassis.
Ha, I am already there! Slightly different technique I am using, but I am measuring the difference in length of time I get w/ wheel roll and gear resistance in the gear box from the previous setup to the new setup.

...getting down to the nitty gritty in terms of tweaking my mini. But at this point I am only about a 1/2 lap behind the top driver and a few turns behind the #2 spot. ...little by little i'll get there!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Granpa, I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for your strength and recovery.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ha, I am already there! Slightly different technique I am using, but I am measuring the difference in length of time I get w/ wheel roll and gear resistance in the gear box from the previous setup to the new setup.

...getting down to the nitty gritty in terms of tweaking my mini. But at this point I am only about a 1/2 lap behind the top driver and a few turns behind the #2 spot. ...little by little i'll get there!
Sounds great! GL on squeezing out the last few drops to get you on top.

I built my newly acquired 54000's last night and installed them on my V2. If I have time tonight, I'm going to set the droop and change out the springs a little bit more to trial and error. I'm using the 2 hole piston and yellow #400 Tamiya oil in there to start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.