Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 08-03-2015, 10:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hprt
can someone tell me what the intended purpose of this chassis is? Is it a M chassis specific rally car? It can't be intended to compete against the rest of the M platforms - the final drive alone will see to that.

At least it looks like you can use the 3Racing gear diff in the front.
I believe it fits in somewhere between the Wheelie King and the endless series of re-issues they release each year. Ever wanted a thoroughly outdated touring car chassis, but smaller, useless and cuter? MF-01X!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Default mf-01x

...as soon as I saw that steel driveshaft configuration, I immediately had visions of my shelf queen TL01. Even has the red uprights.

I personally like the re-issues. I was kind of upset initially, as it devalued the original NIB kits that I have, but it has given me a chance to drive an AVANTE and EGRESS without having to worry about whether i was doing the right thing. I am kind of hoping for a re-release Blazing Blazer, but enough digression here...

Sakadachi will appreciate the following:

M-01 time !

Old 08-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

...as soon as I saw that steel driveshaft configuration, I immediately had visions of my shelf queen TL01. Even has the red uprights.

I personally like the re-issues. I was kind of upset initially, as it devalued the original NIB kits that I have, but it has given me a chance to drive an AVANTE and EGRESS without having to worry about whether i was doing the right thing. I am kind of hoping for a re-release Blazing Blazer, but enough digression here...

Sakadachi will appreciate the following:

M-01 time !

i am so jelly!! My key piece of Tamiya m-chassis history missing from my portfolio.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sakadachi
i am so jelly!! My key piece of Tamiya m-chassis history missing from my portfolio.
It was a long time waiting for an M-01 that was in perfect condition, until I got lucky on eBay with that one a few years back. It was a new build from Japan, complete with a huge list of option parts.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

It was a long time waiting for an M-01 that was in perfect condition, until I got lucky on eBay with that one a few years back. It was a new build from Japan, complete with a huge list of option parts.
Nice~! And you got the wheel well liners and everything!

I know there are a few that are selling old un-assembled new kits on eBay. I shall grab one soon.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:27 AM
Tech Adept

I saw someone selling a m04-m on ebay. Unassembled.

yay or nay?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:30 AM
Tech Adept

manage to snag a hard plastic (ABS) lancia body today for a good price after I thought it was sold out.

with some trimming, i think it might fit the m05 long wheelbase. if not i'll use it as a shelf queen.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by novaris
I saw someone selling a m04-m on ebay. Unassembled.

yay or nay?
Nay for me. I have the Alfa. I dont drive it at all..
Old 08-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

I have a question re: fitting the shell on the kit.

do I lower it until it cannot go further then trim the wheelarches or trim according to the body shell's manual and raise the position of the body shell (use clips to support the shell) ?
Old 08-04-2015, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

Nay for me. I have the Alfa. I dont drive it at all..
I already have the alfa

I find the position of the motor for the m04m rather nice, Mid-"motor" and RWD
Old 08-04-2015, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

I have a question re: fitting the shell on the kit.

do I lower it until it cannot go further then trim the wheelarches or trim according to the body shell's manual and raise the position of the body shell (use clips to support the shell) ?
I trial and error several times, but usually I set the initial ride height of the chassis, then place the body as low as I can go on the body post without rubbing. Then drive the car to figure out the rake (forward tilt) and camber with the body weight, re-position the body if there is any rubbing. If you have the option to try different wheel offsets, you can lower the body even more if you use a conservative offset. For my Rover Mini bodies, the goal is to place the body as low as I can without rubbing the tires.

I make my own o-rings for the body post using a rubber tube I cut to obtain the heights between the body post holes.

I already have the alfa

I find the position of the motor for the m04m rather nice, Mid-"motor" and RWD
Great, perhaps then you should get the new kit as well. I just haven't found the time to really figure out the chassis yet.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Finally found a guy in the USA selling 2 degree toe-in rear uprights yesterday for my M03. Hope to get that soon in the mail.

I want to stiffen up the M03's rear just a tad more (use yellow springs vs red) to enable more traction while rotating without causing the rear to step out during turn-in.

Anyone make their own rear damper towers for the M03?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

K off topic question....I got my s2006 rims and my SHIMUZU TIRES!!!!! YAY ME lol. Now I have ordered the super hard inserts but was curious about this double stuffing thing I've heard. Do people double stuff the tires inserts to make it harder??? If so what does this help??? And why?? Granpa....anyone!

P.s I don't think you could double stuff sakadachi without gluing that inner bead lol J.K ☺
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
K off topic question....I got my s2006 rims and my SHIMUZU TIRES!!!!! YAY ME lol. Now I have ordered the super hard inserts but was curious about this double stuffing thing I've heard. Do people double stuff the tires inserts to make it harder??? If so what does this help??? And why?? Granpa....anyone!

P.s I don't think you could double stuff sakadachi without gluing that inner bead lol J.K ☺
lol

Stiffer tires will generally have better sidewall posture and traction during hard cornering given that the tires are gripping well. It can lose traction going straight though as it is less forgiving to the surface within its contact patch. It's a balancing game you have to trial and error per driving surface and your driving style and your suspension geometry. For sedans I used specific inserts (non Tamiya type) to minimize bloating at fast speeds.

For me, to keep things real simple with my collection of m-chassis, I only use 2 different types of foam (Tamiya firm and soft) and 2 different types of tires (S-Grips, M-Grips) for my track and some outdoor driving. Everything else I tune within the suspension and expo, servo speed, dual rate from the radio side.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

lol

Stiffer tires will generally have better sidewall posture and traction during hard cornering given that the tires are gripping well. It can lose traction going straight though as it is less forgiving to the surface within its contact patch. It's a balancing game you have to trial and error per driving surface and your driving style and your suspension geometry.

For me, to keep things real simple, I only use 2 different types of foam (Tamiya firm and soft) and 2 different types of tires (S-Grips, M-Grips) for my track and some outdoor driving. Everything else I tune within the suspension and expo, servo speed, dual rate from the radio side.

Well I have a soft set in there with the shimuzu tires...came with them. They feel pretty soft tho. Granpa had suggested getting the super hards and tossing the shimizus as per experience. Now.....I have the old Tamiya foams from my current tires and was just wondering if I should use those or wait to get my super hards tommorow...or double stuff the shimizu foams WITH my old Tamiya foams?? Any one tried this. I did just spend 30 bucks for just the rims and tires and another 7 for the hard inserts. Maybe I should wait and get the new tamiya inserts tommorw?? Think I may be wanting to dig before I call here...just so excited lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.