Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Another topic....a body. I'm looking at the HPI Civic type R EK9 body....has anyone used this or know of it. I'm in love with this body but sometimes love can suck so.....just want to run it by someone who maybe had this body???? Anyone??
Old 08-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another reason people double stuff their tires is to get a larger diameter tire and thus higher top speed. -this acts like increasing the size of the pinion in essence.

BUT, if you race, TCS rules are very specific about what tires + wheel combos you can run (to avoid double stuffing funny business).
Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eR1c
Another reason people double stuff their tires is to get a larger diameter tire and thus higher top speed. -this acts like increasing the size of the pinion in essence.

BUT, if you race, TCS rules are very specific about what tires + wheel combos you can run (to avoid double stuffing funny business).
How does that change handling and wear. I'm not worried at all about TCS rules at this point
Old 08-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Another topic....a body. I'm looking at the HPI Civic type R EK9 body....has anyone used this or know of it. I'm in love with this body but sometimes love can suck so.....just want to run it by someone who maybe had this body???? Anyone??
Looks good and drives well. Don't worry about it. Only thing you'll find is that it is slightly narrower than a Tamiya shell so the wheels are right at the edge of the arches.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Newbie, if you find one in N. America, let me know. HPI discontinued all kinds of good stuff here a few years ago.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

loved em... had 2. wish i could get a few more.

only fits 50-55D wheelsets though
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-1916698_429089195827_681225_n.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-1916698_429089175827_2613515_n.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 03:56 AM
Tech Regular

I knew I had good taste lol. I'll keep digging guys. There's one on ebay that's 100 bucks. Little steep.....
Old 08-05-2015, 04:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
loved em... had 2. wish i could get a few more.

only fits 50-55D wheelsets though
Nice my crx body is painted the spoon sports colors too!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

I knew I had good taste lol. I'll keep digging guys. There's one on ebay that's 100 bucks. Little steep.....
Buy one, make a mold, resell it. You would make that $100 back in a few weeks. Its a fantastic body for Mini, and such a shame it was discontinued. I would buy a few!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use to have those on my RS4 Mini's back in the day. Those were cool bodies for sure. I owned the real car too when they were new as my daily driver.

I still have a few unpainted HPI TC bodies like the Civic-Si coupe and some others. I sold the rest when I took a break back 15yrs ago. I regret it now cause I had a few of those EK9's for m-chassis.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

K off topic question....I got my s2006 rims and my SHIMUZU TIRES!!!!! YAY ME lol. Now I have ordered the super hard inserts but was curious about this double stuffing thing I've heard. Do people double stuff the tires inserts to make it harder??? If so what does this help??? And why?? Granpa....anyone!

P.s I don't think you could double stuff sakadachi without gluing that inner bead lol J.K ☺
Double stuffing inserts is a useful technique, but is not often used. With the availability of rear uprights with toe in and other option parts plus the wider range of springs, there are more options for chassis tuning. "Old Timers" like me used to do the majority of tuning by switching inserts and double stuffing plus we used the "Japan" type A slick which are no longer made. Also, being able to get tires with different rubber cpds, made tire stuffing pretty much obsolete.

It was primarily used to vary the mount of grip the tire would give you, much like varying tire pressures in the "real" car racing world. The most popular technique was to use a full length TC insert as the outside insert and backing that with a Tamiya hard foam insert. You could vary the grip of the tire with the
type of TC insert. You could also use a full length TC insert backed with a cut down insert which could give you a very hard tire. Or you could use the foam insert as the outside insert with a cut down TC insert backing. Or you could shorten the TC inert and use that outside and vary the grip by how long the TC insert was made. As you can see, you could wind up with a bewildering array of tires.

The other situation that made tire stuffing obsolete was the advent of the "Spec Tire" in TCS racing and in many other of the more "popular" series. In an open tire series, the 55D tire is far superior and cannot be double stuffed.

ER1c pointed out the TCS situation and that you could vary the tire diameter by stuffing. Unfortunately, by doing that, you will reduce grip by reducing the contact patch or area of the tire By the "ballooning" that inevitably occurs.. The only "successful" attempt at this I've seen is this one which was used to win
the TCS Nationals about 10 years ago. What was done was to double stuff, but the tire was glued to the outside edge of the wheel thus making the wheel itself larger an getting away from the "ballooning" and it's attendant loss of grip. This was addressed in the rules the following year.

Double stuffing belongs with the DoDo bird except in the hands of a "real" pro. It's an expensive deal cause if you guess wrong, you just wasted a set of tires, inserts and rims.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Still in search for a M01 in the USA.. new or like new condition.

Not paying $799 on ebay.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
Double stuffing inserts is a useful technique, but is not often used. With the availability of rear uprights with toe in and other option parts plus the wider range of springs, there are more options for chassis tuning. "Old Timers" like me used to do the majority of tuning by switching inserts and double stuffing plus we used the "Japan" type A slick which are no longer made. Also, being able to get tires with different rubber cpds, made tire stuffing pretty much obsolete.

It was primarily used to vary the mount of grip the tire would give you, much like varying tire pressures in the "real" car racing world. The most popular technique was to use a full length TC insert as the outside insert and backing that with a Tamiya hard foam insert. You could vary the grip of the tire with the
type of TC insert. You could also use a full length TC insert backed with a cut down insert which could give you a very hard tire. Or you could use the foam insert as the outside insert with a cut down TC insert backing. Or you could shorten the TC inert and use that outside and vary the grip by how long the TC insert was made. As you can see, you could wind up with a bewildering array of tires.

The other situation that made tire stuffing obsolete was the advent of the "Spec Tire" in TCS racing and in many other of the more "popular" series. In an open tire series, the 55D tire is far superior and cannot be double stuffed.

ER1c pointed out the TCS situation and that you could vary the tire diameter by stuffing. Unfortunately, by doing that, you will reduce grip by reducing the contact patch or area of the tire By the "ballooning" that inevitably occurs.. The only "successful" attempt at this I've seen is this one which was used to win
the TCS Nationals about 10 years ago. What was done was to double stuff, but the tire was glued to the outside edge of the wheel thus making the wheel itself larger an getting away from the "ballooning" and it's attendant loss of grip. This was addressed in the rules the following year.

Double stuffing belongs with the DoDo bird except in the hands of a "real" pro. It's an expensive deal cause if you guess wrong, you just wasted a set of tires, inserts and rims.

Granpa you really have a vast array of knowledge..it's always a pleasure to read your posts! Thanks for saving me a set of tires i probably would have just wasted. I'm going to just pick up my foams and make them the normal way. Can't rush a good thing
Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by axle182
Buy one, make a mold, resell it. You would make that $100 back in a few weeks. Its a fantastic body for Mini, and such a shame it was discontinued. I would buy a few!
How do u make a mold??
Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

How do u make a mold??
I've done one out of plaster of paris. Secure the body well tho, as you will get bulges where you don't want bulges if you know what I mean Of course this means nothing without a Vac Former. Do some research, its definitely possible, and can be a lot of fun, and a mass of headaches lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.