Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
No wreck to report from my application.
But then again you run on the same track every time so you know every inconsistancy on your track and Im sure when you sense something is wrong
you slam on the brakes!
Which a new comer might not know or realize
Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
But then again you run on the same track every time so you know every incosistancey on your track and Im sure when you sense something is wrong
you slam on the brakes!
True that!

I would glue both sides if I was racing. I'm talking about just bashing.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I was talking about reusing the wheels. And him showing complete disrespect for my post about how I mount my wheels, and thinking I will just sit here and get stomped on, that is not going to happen.

Like I posted above, if you need to glue both sides, do it!! From my driving around on parking lots and my personal track, I don't need to. Why make a simple situation complex for the hobbiest that may not need to glue both sides? It's not like everyone reading this thread is all about competition.

I've free wheeled the tires off the ground and even at max speed, the tires do not bulge like it does on my TC cars. And even from actually driving the car, no issue of tires coming apart. Honestly I too was skeptical at first as the norm for me is to glue both sides, but not required for me.

As stated from the beginning, I am posting a different angle for the hobbiest who play with these cars at home for fun. You guys can talk about competition stuff all you want.
Using one motor screw, can save you weight and makes it twice as quick to remove the motor which is great! It doesn't mean its a good idea to suggest it, and ruin gears. Gluing tires on both beads is the best advice always on all RC cars. Tamiya also glue both sides of the tires as supplied in there RTR mini kits.

Just because we race, doesn't mean we have no clue about the hobbiest. Your more than welcome to do things your own way. But your now including yourself in a group discussion. Your way might not work, and in this case, can end someone's race (or bash session) really quickly.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by axle182
Using one motor screw, can save you weight and makes it twice as quick to remove the motor which is great! It doesn't mean its a good idea to suggest it, and ruin gears. Gluing tires on both beads is the best advice always on all RC cars. Tamiya also glue both sides of the tires as supplied in there RTR mini kits.

Just because we race, doesn't mean we have no clue about the hobbiest. Your more than welcome to do things your own way. But your now including yourself in a group discussion. Your way might not work, and in this case, can end someone's race (or bash session) really quickly.
You know that's not a good example to compare.

Interesting affect the sakadachi has on this thread. Thanks.

I will be more careful next time. But I didn't suggest it, I just posted that's how I've been doing it on my m-chassis. I don't preach here, I just post how I do things. You are more than welcome to try it or not try it.

Let's keep an open mind. It's not like this hobby is growing much. We are a dying breed, we only got each other and the readers.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I'm with Aaron on this.
The cars I race with: tires glued on both sides.
The cars I bash with: tires glued on both sides.
The scaler I crawl with: beadlocks
Moral of the story: rubber security on a rotating assembly is always a good thing, no matter what your speed.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Ok guys well put on all ends. I appreciate all the information you guys have given but if something works for someone and doesn't for another that's ok. We're all here to discuss things and wow!... what a heated one this was lol. Personally I will glue both sides to be safe and thorough because I'm a little meticulous to be honest. Now Granpa. ...can I reuse the foam inserts to save a little coin right now. I'm just toying around in the street right now??
Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodarbal

I'm with Aaron on this.
The cars I race with: tires glued on both sides.
The cars I bash with: tires glued on both sides.
The scaler I crawl with: beadlocks
Moral of the story: rubber security on a rotating assembly is always a good thing, no matter what your speed.
Roaarr!!

The cars I race: Glue both sides, do not reuse wheels.
The m-chassis I bash with: try gluing one side. if it works, reuse wheels.
CC01/CR01 I bash with: bead lock and screws (CR01).
Old 07-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Ok guys well put on all ends. I appreciate all the information you guys have given but if something works for someone and doesn't for another that's ok. We're all here to discuss things and wow!... what a heated one this was lol. Personally I will glue both sides to be safe and thorough because I'm a little meticulous to be honest.
Here's another thing I do, not a suggestion...

While car is not used, I place chassis on a stand or box to elevate the tires off the ground to prevent flat spots.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

While car is not used, I place chassis on a stand or box to elevate the tires off the ground to prevent flat spots.
THAT IS A TERRIBLE ADVICE!!! NOW GTFO!

Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Sak, you must pull your wheels/tires off and place them in bags (vacuum sealing optional) to keep them out of the elements to keep 'em fresh.

Actually, I also have all my cars on stands. The exceptions are my Midnight Pumpkin and Clodbuster and vintage Bolink Legend (which is hanging on the wall in my shop). I do pull the tires off my offroad buggies to clean them and then place them in a container. Tires are usually still on my on-road cars when they go on their stands.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Sak, you must pull your wheels/tires off and place them in bags (vacuum sealing optional) to keep them out of the elements to keep 'em fresh.

Actually, I also have all my cars on stands. The exceptions are my Midnight Pumpkin and Clodbuster and vintage Bolink Legend (which is hanging on the wall in my shop). I do pull the tires off my offroad buggies to clean them and then place them in a container. Tires are usually still on my on-road cars when they go on their stands.
Yeah, not vacuum seal, but I do place my freshly mounted tires in zip lock bags in sealed containers until it's time to take them out. (Away from sun light away from moisture too). I like how Tamiya's tires come in those resealable bags. I use those often.

Can you recommend me a nice stand for my M03, M05, and V2? I made a stand with 2 narrow sticks of balsa wood on its side glued to a box as the Tamiya's have an odd shape on the bottom.

My CF deck chassis, no issue as it's flat on the bottom.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, not vacuum seal, but I do place my freshly mounted tires in zip lock bags in sealed containers...
You mean your half-mounted tires?

I keed I keed....

Can you recommend me a nice stand for my M03, M05, and V2? I made a stand with 2 narrow sticks of balsa wood on its side glued to a box as the Tamiya's have an odd shape on the bottom.

My CF deck chassis, no issue as it's flat on the bottom.
No recommendations as I'm using homemade stands as well. Looks like we're in the same boat as I need to make some modifications to fit my Tamiya M-cars better.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

You mean your half-mounted tires?

I keed I keed....

No recommendations as I'm using homemade stands as well. Looks like we're in the same boat as I need to make some modifications to fit my Tamiya M-cars better.
hahaha!

Yeah, I put little handles on the side of the stands too so that I can pickup the chassis with the stand for convenience. I shall take pictures later for your reference, not a suggestion!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mini Pringles cans are perfect for storing tires. Pieces of 2x4 are great for car stands. Tires are always glued, or in bead locks, with one exception. Last night I stretched a set of 1.55 Desert Kings onto 1.9 Tamiya Hummer wheels. They're not going anywhere!

It's got me wondering if I could stretch some S Grips onto TC wheels.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Mini Pringles cans are perfect for storing tires. Pieces of 2x4 are great for car stands. Tires are always glued, or in bead locks, with one exception. Last night I stretched a set of 1.55 Desert Kings onto 1.9 Tamiya Hummer wheels. They're not going anywhere!

It's got me wondering if I could stretch some S Grips onto TC wheels.
I would wear eye protection attempting that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.