Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So after driving my newly re-built clear dampers on my V2, one of the 3 was leaking oil. The other CVA super mini's running the x-rings on my M05 aren't leaking either.

Upon close inspection the one damper had about 0.2mm of play inside the o-ring compartment. Thanks to the clear housing, I could visually confirm this. So I shimmed the TRF x-rings and no more leaks.

Which lead me to this question... I use CVA's on other chassis including my off-road cars and trucks, and they too leak often. I've tried green slime with only limited success. Perhaps there's too much play inside the o-ring holder area. Will shim them next time.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I feel so old and misplaced...
Welcome to the club!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Newbie to this forum, but have been lurking, following this Mini thread.
I recently bought an M05 Mini kit and decided to just go and get all the decent upgrade parts in an attempt to get rid of all the slop, play, and wiggle that is in the stock kit. Bought everything, either YEAH or 3Racing parts. Waiting on some Tamiya Racing Green to come in to finish the paint, but rest is assembled.
Pretty much NO play on the suspension or steering. I know I went overboard for just a simple basher (no tracks or events in my area) but it was fun, and the Mini runs and handles great.
Grumpaw
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-006.jpg  

Last edited by grumpaw; 02-24-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Few more pics.
Grumpaw
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-001.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-002.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-003.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-004.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Welcome to the club!!!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by grumpaw
Newbie to this forum, but have been lurking, following this Mini thread.
I recently bought an M05 Mini kit and decided to just go and get all the decent upgrade parts in an attempt ot get rod of all the slop, play, and wiggle that is in the stock kit. Bought everything, either YEAH or 3Racing parts. Waiting on some Tamiya Racing Green to come in to finish the paint, but rest is assembled.
Pretty much NO play on the suspension or steering. I know I went overboard for just a simple basher (no tracks or events in my area) but it was fun, and the Mini runs and handles great.
Grumpaw
Looks great, Gumpaw! I too just bash around the house for fun these days and honestly, I have more FUN than serious racing on the weekends. Perhaps my age, but I don't need all the unnecessary anxiety!!

I made a impromptu gymkhana/autox type track in my basement for my M05's.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Ha!!! My age---senior citizen. Have too much time on my hands even after the honey-doo's. Hence getting into rc's.
Grumpaw
Old 02-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Ha!!! My age---senior citizen. Have too much time on my hands even after the honey-doo's. Hence getting into rc's.
Grumpaw
Most excellent!!

So what color are you planning on painting the body?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Tech Rookie

British Racing Green. Have a set of decals/stickers I ordered from England. Includes the large British flag that covers the entire roof.
Owned a Mini back in the mid 70's that was a money pit. Also had an MGA, and a Bugeye at different times that were also money pits. Had them many years before they became collectors items and were cheap to buy, but costly to keep running right. This stuff is alot cheaper.
Grumpaw
Old 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

British Racing Green. Have a set of decals/stickers I ordered from England. Includes the large British flag that covers the entire roof.
Owned a Mini back in the mid 70's that was a money pit. Also had an MGA, and a Bugeye at different times that were also money pits. Had them many years before they became collectors items and were cheap to buy, but costly to keep running right. This stuff is alot cheaper.
Grumpaw
Nice! A while back I owned a 2003 Cooper-S that I bought new. Was a blast. Never the authentic Rover Mini's though, which I love.

Please post picts when done.

If you can find part #0115187 (J-Part), that will have the side mirrors to go with your M05's Rover body.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, and I am sure you are a good driver, but I recommend you put a layer or two of clear decal over the headlamps like clear-bra for real cars.

I keep scuffing the headlamps. My original body I didn't do this and paid the price.

I currently have 4 new bodies in my parts bin.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone know where I can source just the decals for my Rover Mini body?

I just need the headlamp decals.............
Old 02-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

If you want, I have an extra set of Mini decals---came with a body Tower Hobbies sent to replace a damaged one in the kit. PM me your address and I'll send you the headlight stickers.
Grumpaw
Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Adapted an old camera case for mini transport.

We spend enough cash on this stuff, so might as well protect it in transit.
I tried a dedicated carry case, but I'll be honest, it was naff.

I converted my old Pelican camera case to carry the car, radio (as seen in picture) and then spares including 4 sets of wheels and tires, 4 batteries and charger mounted in more foam underneath the car and radio.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-1.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very nice. What did you use to cut the foam, or was it the pre-chopped stuff?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Very nice. What did you use to cut the foam, or was it the pre-chopped stuff?
Thanks. It's the pre-cut cubed foam you pull out. I've read somewhere that if you spray it with black plastidip, that should hold everything together.

I have just found the flaw in my transportation solution, I have no room for the body shell!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.