Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 PM
  #24421  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 281
Default

What is the downside to using the foam again out of a tire that has been pooched. Trying to save on the money part of things right now. And what is the difference between the firmness....parking lots and asphalt for me right now. I may be reusing the rim aswell but it's pretty smashed up right now
M05 newbie is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM
  #24422  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
No worries, you have a closed mind or just lack experience, and go to your own conclusions too fast. You speak about M03's, I speak from a variety of cars. For TC racing I glue both sides and do no reuse the wheels. For M-chassis, and even some off-road, no issue. Also confused as to your question about the lip of the wheel. When I say lip of the wheel, I am talking about the physical lip of the m-chassis wheel.

It is funny why you mentioned 'inexpensive' so I should replace my pieces each time. It's not about the price. Do you think I am trying to save a few bucks here and there to save money? Let me remind you that I play with real cars too. One wheel costs $1K + $350 tires each, where I come from and own several sets of wheels per car. I don't do this to save money, rather I do this for the sake of not wasting good parts.

Sometime I wonder if your comments are valid. Yes, you made me mad. (not really)
Please read my posts before commenting. Also, I really could not car less about whether you glue your tires, reuse your rims and inserts, or wash your hands. I'm more concerned that someone might have read that post and tried gluing the tires on one side. Whether it was you or someone else who posted that, it would have drawn the same reaction. So, in one sense, you are unimportant in this discussion, but your advice to glue the tire on only one side was the issue for me.

For the most part I rarely get involved in personal barbs, cause I'm not very good at it------not much practice. So if you want to call me close minded and lacking in experience cause I had the gall to call one of your recommendations ill advised, have at it. Telling everyone how much money you have isn't constructive either. Are you implying that your advice is more worthy than others cause you spend or have big balance sheet??????

So basically you've managed to call me close minded, stupid or ignorant with little R/C experience. That you are obviously well off cause you race "real cars" and don't need to worry about money like the rest of us peons like me and others who frequent this thread. Let me remind you, it's not a requirement to submit a financial statement to post here. You also wonder if I'm valid. The implication here is that all should ignore anything I post cause it's not valid.

I guess I should be upset about this, but have been exposed to your posts for some time now, so have learned that a lot of this is youthful enthusiasm. The rest is a no comment. So fire away, it doesn't bother me in the least.
Granpa is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 03:44 PM
  #24423  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (20)
 
AngryRog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 891
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Isn't this the Sabre Mini thread? lol
AngryRog is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
  #24424  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AngryRog
Isn't this the Sabre Mini thread? lol
Sorry no further updates as of late. But I will be changing the rear camber setting maybe tonight or tomorrow. Will see how it goes.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 PM
  #24425  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
What is the downside to using the foam again out of a tire that has been pooched. Trying to save on the money part of things right now. And what is the difference between the firmness....parking lots and asphalt for me right now. I may be reusing the rim aswell but it's pretty smashed up right now
To Axle 182, Thank you for the kind words. I try my best and it's nice to have someone recognize that.

Some times we just do things w/out a scientific explanation, just a subjective one. The foams I feel you should not reuse are the Tamiya foams or any of the foam inserts of the same type. When you cut apart a tire with this type of foam insert they will be very flat or compressed. If you leave them for a bit, they will seemingly return to their original shape. I posses no measuring device for this, but they feel softer.

Intuitively, you should know the answer to for own question about firmness. Comparing soft to hard foams you'd expect to find this in most cases. Soft-more grip. Hard---less rolling resistance. Soft---flexible sidewalls. Hard---stiffer sidewalls.

I'm with you on the money bit, but there are places to save money and places where it might not be wise to cut corners. For most of us, wheels take a beating so I just don't want to reuse front wheels. I'd hate to glue up a set and find a hair lie crack in one. If you've ever tried to unglue a tire from a rim, you'll know what I'm talking about. The results for me have never been good.
Granpa is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:02 PM
  #24426  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,760
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

PLEASE USE ALL NEW STUFF ON YOUR TIRES !!! YOU SHOULD NEVER CUT CORNERS WHEN IT COMES TO TIRES !
bertrandsv87 is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:04 PM
  #24427  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by AngryRog
Isn't this the Sabre Mini thread? lol
Roger, did you get a chance to run on the track?????? I heard they resurfaced it last week. Kevin said they had just laid it down.
Granpa is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 PM
  #24428  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 281
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
To Axle 182, Thank you for the kind words. I try my best and it's nice to have someone recognize that.

Some times we just do things w/out a scientific explanation, just a subjective one. The foams I feel you should not reuse are the Tamiya foams or any of the foam inserts of the same type. When you cut apart a tire with this type of foam insert they will be very flat or compressed. If you leave them for a bit, they will seemingly return to their original shape. I posses no measuring device for this, but they feel softer.

Intuitively, you should know the answer to for own question about firmness. Comparing soft to hard foams you'd expect to find this in most cases. Soft-more grip. Hard---less rolling resistance. Soft---flexible sidewalls. Hard---stiffer sidewalls.

I'm with you on the money bit, but there are places to save money and places where it might not be wise to cut corners. For most of us, wheels take a beating so I just don't want to reuse front wheels. I'd hate to glue up a set and find a hair lie crack in one. If you've ever tried to unglue a tire from a rim, you'll know what I'm talking about. The results for me have never been good.

Well I'm about to try it becaus that's all I have right now. For a parking lot party it'll be ok for now. I'm learning right. And I have an itch to tinker so bad and I don't have my gears to rebuild the whole thing until Friday so I'll see what happens with the tires. So I should look at soft for the pavement right now. Thanks for the insight Granpa. I'll take some pics and post how the tire change goes and how badly these wheels are cooked lol. I beat the hell outta this thing...now I know not to lol.

Question Granpa. What are some good quality wheels that are on the tougher side. Looking at tamiya reinforced wheels for the mini. Ebay has em for about 20 a set roughly.
M05 newbie is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:10 PM
  #24429  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
What is the downside to using the foam again out of a tire that has been pooched. Trying to save on the money part of things right now. And what is the difference between the firmness....parking lots and asphalt for me right now. I may be reusing the rim aswell but it's pretty smashed up right now
Not a suggestion, but here's what I do.

I leave the foam inserts out on the work bench for a few days and if the foam goes back to near its original striped shape, it is reusable in my book. If there are any tears or parts missing, it can affect how true (round) your tires are and ultimately affect your performance. So I usually toss those.

For bashing and just having fun, if you didn't cut or tear the foam during the removal chances are you can reuse them. If your wheels are mashed up, I can't say for sure if you can reuse them or not. I don't usually crash my cars bad enough to crack or curb the lips so I reuse most if not all of my m-chassis wheels a few times. Typically 4-5 times.

As for firmness, it's like how you would change the psi on your real car to adjust to your driving condition. On my m-chassis they all run the Tamiya firm inserts up front and soft inserts in the back as I want firm sidewalls up front, yet forgiving sidewalls on the rear. Depending on different surfaces and temperature (if out doors) I would bring different sets of tires with different inserts inside.

But for my spec-racing scheme I have going, my cars all run the same 60D radial s-grip tires, inserts, motor, kit ESC, same body to enjoy how each of the chassis perform on the same and even playing field.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:13 PM
  #24430  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
Please read my posts before commenting. Also, I really could not car less about whether you glue your tires, reuse your rims and inserts, or wash your hands. I'm more concerned that someone might have read that post and tried gluing the tires on one side. Whether it was you or someone else who posted that, it would have drawn the same reaction. So, in one sense, you are unimportant in this discussion, but your advice to glue the tire on only one side was the issue for me.

For the most part I rarely get involved in personal barbs, cause I'm not very good at it------not much practice. So if you want to call me close minded and lacking in experience cause I had the gall to call one of your recommendations ill advised, have at it. Telling everyone how much money you have isn't constructive either. Are you implying that your advice is more worthy than others cause you spend or have big balance sheet??????

So basically you've managed to call me close minded, stupid or ignorant with little R/C experience. That you are obviously well off cause you race "real cars" and don't need to worry about money like the rest of us peons like me and others who frequent this thread. Let me remind you, it's not a requirement to submit a financial statement to post here. You also wonder if I'm valid. The implication here is that all should ignore anything I post cause it's not valid.

I guess I should be upset about this, but have been exposed to your posts for some time now, so have learned that a lot of this is youthful enthusiasm. The rest is a no comment. So fire away, it doesn't bother me in the least.
Granpa, differences aside, how was your BBQ?
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:16 PM
  #24431  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 281
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Not a suggestion, but here's what I do.

I leave the foam inserts out on the work bench for a few days and if the foam goes back to near its original striped shape, it is reusable in my book. If there are any tears or parts missing, it can affect how true (round) your tires are and ultimately affect your performance. So I usually toss those.

For bashing and just having fun, if you didn't cut or tear the foam during the removal chances are you can reuse them. If your wheels are mashed up, I can't say for sure if you can reuse them or not. I don't usually crash my cars bad enough to crack or curb the lips so I reuse most if not all of my m-chassis wheels a few times. Typically 4-5 times.

As for firmness, it's like how you would change the psi on your real car to adjust to your driving condition. On my m-chassis they all run the Tamiya firm inserts up front and soft inserts in the back as I want firm sidewalls up front, yet forgiving sidewalls for the rear. Depending on different surfaces and temperature (if out doors) I would bring different sets of tires with different inserts inside.

But for my spec-racing scheme I have going, my cars all run the same 60D radial s-grip tires, inserts, motor, kit ESC, same body to enjoy how each of the chassis perform on the same and even playing field.
Well for now just to get it going I will attempt to save them. No biggie it's just for fun right now. I will look into a good set of tamiya reinforced rims that will be a little better taken care of this time and see about some new foam inserts. Wait til u see these rims of mine...oh boy lol
M05 newbie is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:19 PM
  #24432  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
PLEASE USE ALL NEW STUFF ON YOUR TIRES !!! YOU SHOULD NEVER CUT CORNERS WHEN IT COMES TO TIRES !
For a racing environment I totally agree. For bashing, I reuse wheels and inserts given they are in good working order. This is not a suggestion. WTF...

I don't care how loudly you guys say the same thing in unison or harmony or whatever. I'm not going to head down into my basement tonight to glue both sides of the tires to the wheels and toss all my perfectly reusable used wheels and inserts.

You guys have a tendency to group bully and it's really sad. I bet there are new potential members that want to join in, but such gestures scare them away. I'm here to stay if anyone new wants to join in. Come join the fun. We need more members here.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 PM
  #24433  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Well for now just to get it going I will attempt to save them. No biggie it's just for fun right now. I will look into a good set of tamiya reinforced rims that will be a little better taken care of this time and see about some new foam inserts. Wait til u see these rims of mine...oh boy lol
Yes, definitely give it a shot. I mean it works for me and I drive my cars literally 4-10hrs on a weekend day, typically 1-2hrs week nights when I have a chance.

If it doesn't work then try something different next time. I like that you are willing to try things.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:26 PM
  #24434  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 281
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Yes, definitely give it a shot. I mean it works for me and I drive my cars literally 4-10hrs on a weekend day, typically 1-2hrs week nights when I have a chance.

If it doesn't work then try something different next time. I like that you are willing to try things.
Man I'll try it all. We r here to learn and have fun. But really these rims are so mangled. I have a set of 60d slicks and s grips....my old carpet set up that was basically suggested and I followed was slicks in the back and s grips in the front. Are the slicks any good outside with the pavement or should I save them. I have those on the reinforced rims now that I think about it....yessss lol...like finding a 20 dollar bill in your winter jacket lol
M05 newbie is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 05:16 PM
  #24435  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Man I'll try it all. We r here to learn and have fun. But really these rims are so mangled. I have a set of 60d slicks and s grips....my old carpet set up that was basically suggested and I followed was slicks in the back and s grips in the front. Are the slicks any good outside with the pavement or should I save them. I have those on the reinforced rims now that I think about it....yessss lol...like finding a 20 dollar bill in your winter jacket lol
Slicks or not, it's really the rubber compound that determines grip level. If the compound is a good fit for your surface, they should work.

I'm not sure if I'd reuse mangled wheels as the bead bond might be compromised. My used wheels almost look new.
sakadachi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.