Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Been hearing that gluing the sidewall may help me with my traction roll issue.

Can you give some details on this? (ie- type of glue to use, glue fronts / rears, how much of sidewall to glue, etc)

wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the tires too, visuals always help lol
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Been hearing that gluing the sidewall may help me with my traction roll issue.

Can you give some details on this? (ie- type of glue to use, glue fronts / rears, how much of sidewall to glue, etc)

wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the tires too, visuals always help lol
dont have pic...but I glue with ca around the small rib around the side wall...Ive even glued the whole side wall to keep my Goodyear sticker to stay...lol..but it takes traction roll out almost completly...ive only glue the fronts

around the blue area?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-100_2619.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thanks, I'll give that a look as other than the traction roll, my vehicle felt great. Probably start with a small line and then work my way from there.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xevias
Good idea in theory, but in practice you could have problems. Sometimes a batch of VTA tires comes out of the package a bit harder than the next. These tires are almost impossible to hook up without a couple weeks of attention. Not sure of the odds of getting a set of these. I suppose your tire gluers could just set those aside...

After gluing all those tires, would you also "treat" them all so they are a bit broken in before qualifying begins?

If by "treat" you mean applying a quick shot of tire juice,,, Thats doable.

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
Not all tire glue'ers are the same... some like to sniff it. Seriously, it would level the field but we all know brand new tires plain suck if not 'prepped' but it would be the same for everyone. I would be pissed if I got handed outta-round tires from a poor glue job.
Yeah new tires do suck and yeah it would be the same for everyone. I think the real issue is would people mind paying that increased entry fee to get spec tires in VTA?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
after alot of thought, and racing in Cincy this weekend....Im asking all the guys that are racing VTA to turn off the boost/turbo/timming advance esc's.....if you like the way things are, I understand, but I have seen 1st hand how this is the best move for the VTA class as a whole.

New tech is coming in from all over that are making the "stock/spec" classes un-managable for entry level or even "fast" guys...so in the intrest of fairness I believe this is the best move for the remaining Thunder Trans-am Series races....it doesnt cost you anything and the speeds allow for everyone to truly have a shot at winning....

I hope nobody has a issue and understands where Im coming from. As you guys know Im not the boss, but I do what I can to help anywhere its needed and me putting the series together with Dirla is an attempt to give a little something back to the guys that come out weekend after weekend to support the on-road scene(VTA..lol)....and I feel that a small change like this will help in the long run....If you feel Im wrong or you know of any other solution, by all means PM me and we will discuss it behind close doors.

here is an example of what is needed

LRP SPX profile 1-4
LRP TC/SPEC profile 1-6
Tekin RS/Pro turbo off
Ko Propo stock setting

it will be noticable in a race is someone is using it...but Im asking the 40+ VTA racers here locally to be honest and dont embarass yourself and have your car pulled by a tech at the end of the race....

ps...tech of VTA cars will be after the heat and ramdom in the pits...

lets try and have a great raceday and put on a show for the outta towners that are coming to claim some victories....lets send them home happy and glad they came...but with NO HARDWARE!!!!!!..........lol...sort of?

thanks,
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
615-851-1876
Good call. We ran this exact speedo rule at the Novak race 2 weeks ago and it worked great for the most part. There were at least 3 GTB/21.5SS cars in the A, and that was with a 27 car field. We also ran the 5.2 fdr which seemed to help a ton with traction roll issues, and that helped everyone have great races in every main.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
If by "treat" you mean applying a quick shot of tire juice,,, Thats doable.

Yeah new tires do suck and yeah it would be the same for everyone. I think the real issue is would people mind paying that increased entry fee to get spec tires in VTA?
Yes new tires do suck, and I don't think everyone being on new VTA tires would make for very good racing I think it would just make for a lot of accidents.

Hand out tires are pre mounts that hook up pretty well right out of the bag. Aren't we getting a little too serious here? I mean hand out tires and motors are more for the big boys. I don't think there'd be a lot of your average racers looking to spend $60 in entry fees to race a supposed cheap class especially if they only have a couple weeks on the tires they showed up with.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

The handout tires or no question is an interesting one, but I think it really ends up creating more problems than solutions.

1) Folks would have to WAY pre-enter, to a MUCH higher degree than most VTA-level racers ever seem to. At least in my experience. This would be necessary so the host organization can obtain the correct amount of tires so they don't run short or get stuck holding extra expensive inventory. Hopefully host organization has necessary funds "up front" to purchase those tires...I guess that would come from mandatory pre-entry fees. Etc.

2) Who's going to sit and glue all those tires. I HATE gluing tires...I'd rather visit the all-night dentist for a root canal, and most guys I race with don't like it much better. Good luck (at least here) getting together a work party to perform this particular task.

Perhaps an alternative would be that everyone has to bring a brand new set of mounted (and that mounting should be inspected prior to acceptance) tires/wheels and put them into a handout bag, fronts and rears. "New" could certainly be evidenced by presence of the mold seam still present on the tires.

Some folks have expressed concern about running "new" tires. I guess I'm unusual (strike that, I KNOW I'm unusual, but in this particular regard...) but I've really never had any issues running brand new tires. I bought a new set for the current season (my first new set since starting out) and after removing the mold seam they hooked up just fine. In fact I TQ'd and won the race.

If "running them to slicks" is a concern, a simple rule stated in the flyer for the competition would take care of that. We ran into a similar issue racing scale slotcars several years back. State "Tires must show VISIBLE evidence of ALL TREAD GROOVES 100% around the tire." In fact the USVTA rules should, perhaps, indicate same.

I guess I'm more concerned about correct foams in the tires, double-stuffing, etc. Perhaps I'd suggest that at a major event rather than requiring EVERYBODY to buy a set of tires that the "tread showing" rule be employed and the top three (or five, or whatever) cars in the A-main have their tires cut open to reveal the foam inserts. Those tires could be replaced from entry fees or not. I guarantee you that if I were to win the USVTA Nats I'd be so tickled you could probably cut my entire car in half and I'd hold the dust-buster to keep the mess down.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
The handout tires or no question is an interesting one, but I think it really ends up creating more problems than solutions.

1) Folks would have to WAY pre-enter, to a MUCH higher degree than most VTA-level racers ever seem to. At least in my experience. This would be necessary so the host organization can obtain the correct amount of tires so they don't run short or get stuck holding extra expensive inventory. Hopefully host organization has necessary funds "up front" to purchase those tires...I guess that would come from mandatory pre-entry fees. Etc.

2) Who's going to sit and glue all those tires. I HATE gluing tires...I'd rather visit the all-night dentist for a root canal, and most guys I race with don't like it much better. Good luck (at least here) getting together a work party to perform this particular task.

Perhaps an alternative would be that everyone has to bring a brand new set of mounted (and that mounting should be inspected prior to acceptance) tires/wheels and put them into a handout bag, fronts and rears. "New" could certainly be evidenced by presence of the mold seam still present on the tires.

Some folks have expressed concern about running "new" tires. I guess I'm unusual (strike that, I KNOW I'm unusual, but in this particular regard...) but I've really never had any issues running brand new tires. I bought a new set for the current season (my first new set since starting out) and after removing the mold seam they hooked up just fine. In fact I TQ'd and won the race.

If "running them to slicks" is a concern, a simple rule stated in the flyer for the competition would take care of that. We ran into a similar issue racing scale slotcars several years back. State "Tires must show VISIBLE evidence of ALL TREAD GROOVES 100% around the tire." In fact the USVTA rules should, perhaps, indicate same.

I guess I'm more concerned about correct foams in the tires, double-stuffing, etc. Perhaps I'd suggest that at a major event rather than requiring EVERYBODY to buy a set of tires that the "tread showing" rule be employed and the top three (or five, or whatever) cars in the A-main have their tires cut open to reveal the foam inserts. Those tires could be replaced from entry fees or not. I guarantee you that if I were to win the USVTA Nats I'd be so tickled you could probably cut my entire car in half and I'd hold the dust-buster to keep the mess down.
Good points. Well said, end entertaining.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is a video for one of the Qualifiers at the 3rd Leg of the Negs Race
ESC were tech

Good race between Arvin & RobK

3rd Leg NEGS Race Qualifying Between Arvin Nano "RCFREAK" (Orange & Yellow) & RobK (Blue & White)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Great Footage! Thanks for posting. Track looked awesome!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A few pages back someone asked about FDR with a TC3. Under the current rules, the easiest way to get max FDR of 4.2 using a TC3 or TC4 is to go with an 84 spur & 50 pinion.

84/50 (1.68) x 2.5 (Gearbox ratio of TC3/TC4) = 4.2 FDR

You will have to dremel out the area below the pinion on the TC3 tub chassis if you want to use a pinion larger than 47.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Skottrik I hate gluing them too. I keep hoping that HPI will sell them already mounted and glued. Like the parts for the Flux Sprint with Vintage Shell.

Darkside- Forget all that. I want to know how you masked the center of that wheel off so clean.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Skottrik I hate gluing them too. I keep hoping that HPI will sell them already mounted and glued. Like the parts for the Flux Sprint with Vintage Shell.

Darkside- Forget all that. I want to know how you masked the center of that wheel off so clean.

Ive done some before...but this one isnt mine, its from the 1,000's of VTA pic I have in my pc....its the nicest one Ive ever seen
Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

OK yeah I was thinking how nice the edge was on the black center.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.