Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hogmansp
Besides running your favorite brand what would you guy's say is the most durable body on the market for VTA?
Either of the Parma bodies, very basic molds, very thick lexan. HPI the Camaro holds up well. With that said all bodies hold up okay with a little preventive maintenance.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think I just had a little bad luck. First night out with the new body and split the fender right at the seem. HPI camaro body. Love the look just wondering if it was just my bad luck. Maybe next time I will have to stay off the wall!. Anywhere I can find a site that carries the Pegasus bodies?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

I think I just had a little bad luck. First night out with the new body and split the fender right at the seem. HPI camaro body. Love the look just wondering if it was just my bad luck. Maybe next time I will have to stay off the wall!. Anywhere I can find a site that carries the Pegasus bodies?
The Camaros are very vulnerable there, the trick with them is not follow the tim line of the lower front valence but fade it up and around, that alone will greatly strengthen the front end of the Carmaro. Always use a little shoo goo to reinforce the corners a little as well, this will keep the from cracking.

The Pegusus bodies are difficult to find, they are also quite thin, really the only one I feel you can run is the Mach Jet (I run one) the Big Fish (CUDA) is ridiculously thin especially on the business end. Also the Pegusus bodies do not have window mask or overspray film, they are rather old school.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hate the rule change...I really do...and the more I talk to my locals the more it seems the wrong direction for the class, they are with me on this....

Rob I really wish another alternative can be made, not just locally, but for all. I dont want to see all this division among VTA racers. PPL are finding this class to be the most out of control among all on-road. And it shouldnt be. But it is hard to promote this class to ppl when we are asking them to put more money into a "slow/budget/beginner" class.

Im asking to look at it from the racers point from across the country, and even take a vote....or maybe do what I did and pick up the phone and talk to the race directors that are on this list and see where their heads at, see what they are doing locally and see if its working...then give yourself a month away from this forum to make a desision for all of us...

cause rather you know it or not, ppl will run whatever is best for them locally, but they rather run what the national rules say...Just give it another month to decide..and talk to the tracks across the nation that run the class currently....

thanks...

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/tracks/index.html

and this is the ones that are listed
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

amainhobbies.com has the 70 Camaro SS, 70 Mach racer and the 70 BIG Fish form pegasus.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The parma bodies are really tough. I have the mustang one and it has been quite durable. I already have a camaro and a cuda to do up here, police car theme for one, just not sure which.

What happened Darkside?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Yea both the Parma Cuda and Camaro lack a lot of detail but they look cool all done up, kinda look like old stock cars.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I had to chop the body a bit on the mustang as I didn't have the correct body posts, so its a bit more slammed than it normally would be, but looks very nice. Thats one of the reasons I bought 2 more bodies to do.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I wish the 67 vette body was legal. I am going to look around a little and pick one to do up and run this one as a practice body.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 7 celler
After reading these last few pages on discussion of the new USVTA rule changes, I am discouraged at the lack of concern for spending even more money to stay legal. Maybe I should race the short course trucks. Fun and affordability like VTA was before this change.
Still is. The rules changes require very little compare to other TC classes.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'm aiming at the camaro from HPI. Not sure what color. Might try to find a car that races TA and copy that to keep up with the vintage race look.
i like the look of the Smokey Yunick’s Trans-Am. Gold top, black bottom.

VTA Paint ideas from real TA cars.

http://www.trans-amseries.com/racephotos.htm

Last edited by bigshow4u; 01-08-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

I wish the 67 vette body was legal. I am going to look around a little and pick one to do up and run this one as a practice body.
There are a few tracks here and there that allow it in their local rules. The VTA group in Nashville runs them at Thunder and then in the summer at Coolsprings. I would ask before you write it off.

I hope Robk doesnt kill me for this but I think tracks everywere when they announce a race they should just say we are going to have a VTA21 race. Or a VTA25 Race. Leave off the .5 and once every one comes to understand what it means then you are golden. I guess it wouldnt be that big of a deal to say its a VTA21.5 race. There was once a club in Florida that ran RCGT with 21.5 motors. Usually Race Directors or Clubs will describe in detail the rules that they want to run anyway.

Im in a toss up about this. I commend robk for standing his ground while at the same time I wonder if he should stick to the rule change.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
There are a few tracks here and there that allow it in their local rules. The VTA group in Nashville runs them at Thunder and then in the summer at Coolsprings. I would ask before you write it off.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-normal_dsc_0008.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darksideracing014m.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-normal_dsc_0009.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-normal_dsc_0761.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-normal_dsc_0777.jpg  

Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Darkside,

I'm asking this in all sincerity...do you realize you're contradicting yourself? On the one hand you make the statement under the "I don't like the new rules post" (and it's 100% fair to not like the new rules):

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
but they rather run what the national rules say...
But then not even a page later show "batman style" how your group doesn't follow the "national rules" anyway. Why is it such a trauma to "do your own thing" if it's the right decision for your club (re: motor/speedo rules...which, again, is 100% ok if that's the right choice for your group) but you'll willy-nilly add whatever body suits anyone's fancy?

I hope you know how much respect I have for you and what you've done to build the program in your area, ESPECIALLY the work you've done to include the kids. But seriously...pick one argument or the other, 'cause both ain't gonna work. It's either ok to embrace the idea that the "locals" will do what they're gonna do OR it's ok make the solidarity plea.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
novak two and padailey, thanks for clearing that up. Like I posted in my orig thread I read that onanother board and was curious. I would assume that a 25.5 is the same..but you never know and the last thing VTA people need is to buy one motor and then have to get the other one because it's better.
I guess I'll point out that I provided pretty much EXACTLY the same info when you asked this "question" the first time the other day and included a link to Novak online documentation that demonstrates the truth in this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.