Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So is everything finalized for the Nats yet? Signups? Race format?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/uscflyer.jpg
Old 03-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

2010 On-road Finale

I would like to thank all the racers that came out this Sunday to some really fun and competive racing. Im glad you guys came out to support the on-road program and Thunder RC Raceway.

Thanks to the ATL,Memphis, and Alabama guys that made the trip to race with us locals. I hope all of you had a good time and hope to cya all soon.

special thanks to Eddie and Kody Fry for coming out after a long Saturday to support the Jr TA race and the indoor racing as well...and another thanks to the ramp, again...so much easier in the rain getting up and down...

We had over 50 VTA/Jr TA racers over the last 6 months of racing at the Thunder Trans-am Series. Glad you all made apperance this winter. But after 6 months and 6 MSR's and 50+ racers our point champions are crowned....

2010 THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES CHAMPION....TIM MOORE

2nd Raheen
3rd Haydeen
4th Bubba
5th Mack

great run from all of you and I hope you enjoy the trophies,prizes,cash and everything else that was given away.

I would like to thank Robert Dirla for taking the reigns of Thunder RC and providing a place to race for years to come....THANK YOU

CYA GUYS SOON AT A RACE NEAR YOU

ps..yep I keep my shirt till next time....and also thanks to Nexus Racing, Eddie, Kody, Bubba, and Hayden for the donations to the St Jude Race in Memphis April 24th
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-rc-race-car-myron-070.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-rc-race-car-myron-072.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-rc-race-car-myron-074.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-rc-race-car-myron-075.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-rc-race-car-myron-076.jpg  

Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey All, got a question and just looking for your opinion. Do you think VTA popularity is on the rise ? I'm looking for ammunition. Our club is still doing RCGT only. We're simply not big enough to offer more than 1 class yet and I'm also looking at future growth. Personal opinion...I think RCGT may see some serious changes or go bye-bye. No opinions on that required. I do believe that VTA would be a better choice for us in the long run. Now I just need to sell the idea to the members.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Hey All, got a question and just looking for your opinion. Do you think VTA popularity is on the rise ? I'm looking for ammunition. Our club is still doing RCGT only. We're simply not big enough to offer more than 1 class yet and I'm also looking at future growth. Personal opinion...I think RCGT may see some serious changes or go bye-bye. No opinions on that required. I do believe that VTA would be a better choice for us in the long run. Now I just need to sell the idea to the members.
Top ten reasons to run VTA at your track:
  1. VTA without timing provides the closest racing I've ever experienced.
  2. Since VTA is a touring car class, your racers can still use the same chassis to travel elsewhere for trophy races, as opposed to changing to Mini Coopers which would pigeon hole your track as being just a Mini Cooper track.
  3. VTA is cheap because tire wear is minimal without timing advances.
  4. VTA is a good draw for newbie dads because they recognize the bodies, and they would buy their kids a RCGT car because the kids recognize the bodies from Forsa or GT.
  5. And obviously, chicks dig VTA, but everybody knows that!
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
Fill in the blanks guys!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

First off, maybe you need to identify with your members what exactly in RCGT they prefer over VTA? I know one of the things that I hear is preferred is the body choices. So who knows, maybe a combination of the two?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Chicks dig VTA !!! Now I'm really sold !!!
Cain, you're right about the bodies being the biggest draw for us. As many of you know...VTA in Florida was killed off via the insistence to run more powerful motors and larger batts (13.5 w/6 cell !). At that time we were running both VTA and RCGT. Racing twice per month...1 sunday rcgt,1 sunday VTA ..both using the VTA motor/batt rules. With the demise of VTA many of us, me included, thought we could "market" rcgt better. But, we also didn't see the huge technical advances and issues that were to happen. Now, with Novak stepping up and with VTA's willingness to adhere to the original "intent" of this level of racing...I'm of the belief that VTA has great "market" value while rcgt continues to lean more toward a fine line between it and TC. I founded this club to be more about driving,fun and affordability.
As we grow, I'd like to even expand on the VTA theme by offering extensions of the program IE: Vintage oval and running can motor Cup Racers. Might even let the Cup cars run with the VTA cars like the original series did.
That gives people access to a small variety of body types and makes room for varying budgets. Cup racer being the least expensive, Vintage Oval and VTA would use the same primary rules with the exception of the body and possibly the wheel/tire size.(not sure if the vintage oval bodies from Bolink or McCallister would require 26mm all 4 corners or accept the 31mm out back)

Last edited by Evoracer; 03-23-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default VT/GT

The growth of the "realistic" classes is proof that they have appeal, especially among the more casual racers. I'll echo Sharpie's top 5 for VTA and second the motion that tightly regulated power -- limited motor and ESC choice -- is a sure way to get close racing and keep cost under control. RCGT is basically 17.5 touring car with realistic bodies. The current open motor and ESC rules appeal to a more experienced racer. I'll just add that F1 is taking off in this area (Jersey/Pa), with silver cans and spec tires.

So maybe the clear line in the sand would be to support tightly spec'd rules for the "realistic" classes like VTA, RCGT and F1, and open the rules for touring car. If newcomers are attracted by the look, let's make it easy for them to take the plunge into racing by keeping the rules simple.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Top ten reasons to run VTA at your track:
  1. VTA without timing provides the closest racing I've ever experienced.
  2. Since VTA is a touring car class, your racers can still use the same chassis to travel elsewhere for trophy races, as opposed to changing to Mini Coopers which would pigeon hole your track as being just a Mini Cooper track.
  3. VTA is cheap because tire wear is minimal without timing advances.
  4. VTA is a good draw for newbie dads because they recognize the bodies, and they would buy their kids a RCGT car because the kids recognize the bodies from Forsa or GT.
  5. And obviously, chicks dig VTA, but everybody knows that!
  6. 6 You can use an older chassis and still be very competitive!
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
Fill in the blanks guys!
#6 You can use an older chassis and still be very competitive
Old 03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
#6 You can use an older chassis and still be very competitive
#1 FUN
Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input folks. Sunday is club day and I'll make the pitch for a return to VTA. I'm hopeful.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile Re...TC3 Gearing

A couple of Q's for the VTA "GURUS"...

What is the largest pinion that will fit on the TC3 chassis. I have the stock 72tooth spur and to achieve 3.5 to3.75 FDR I would need something like a 50tooth+ pinion!!! With 4cell packs.

To achieve 4.2 to 4.6 FDR for Lipo i would need at least 39 to 43 pinion. Are there smaller spurs that will fit the TC3.

Any help would be appreciated !!!!! I had to run in touring stock as I had the only VTA car. It was fun but I need a lot more gear 17.5 motor came off at 86 degrees and the batteries weren't even warm.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I switched my car over to an 88-tooth 64 pitch spur gear.

I also milled some material from the mount and the chassis to allow the motor to roll over. I did it to my car and a buddie's tc4 and it worked flawlessly.

Pics of the mod.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/5357881-post207.html

On my car, however, i didn't do the milling in the first pic. And in the last pic i had to mill some material from the chassis brace to allow for larger pinions. If you take the rear diff assembly out and watch the rotation of the motor in the clamp you'll see exactly where to mill.

Last edited by pejota; 03-27-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TC3 Gears

If you want to stay with 48 pitch, Robinson makes a 60-tooth spur. Use a 35 pinion and you get 4.29 FDR.You may have to dremel a little of the webbing on the chassis for pinion clearance -- a 2-minute job.

Just FYI, it's best to use a temp sensor to set gearing. Don't go over 160 degrees. And also FYI, FDR rules are going away in VTA when it moves to 25.5 spec.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default #7 reason

.7 You can find use for your old gtb or other non boost speedo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.