Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Applesauce
What are you guys doing to get these tires to hook up? traction compound....etc

Thanks
on what kind of surface??

for asphalt, i've seen guys using paragon, jack the gripper, tire warmers...Personally I don't like traction compound on asphalt - to me it makes the cars more loose! I have tried warmers, and liked them but 99% of the time i use nothing on mine - saves the part of the race when the traction (compound) wears off and the car gets loose...my don't have it to begin with, so I never hit that stage
Old 01-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
on what kind of surface??

for asphalt, i've seen guys using paragon, jack the gripper, tire warmers...Personally I don't like traction compound on asphalt - to me it makes the cars more loose! I have tried warmers, and liked them but 99% of the time i use nothing on mine - saves the part of the race when the traction (compound) wears off and the car gets loose...my don't have it to begin with, so I never hit that stage
Sorry..... on carpet

Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorry..... on carpet

Thanks
i've only ever used Jack on carpet, and it seemed to work fairly well
Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

As far as initial tire prep I make sure the tires are SECURELY glued (usually by having somebody who is better at this than I am do it) and I sand the mold seam off new tires. Beyond that, I've had good luck with new tires so no "witch doctor magic" needed.

Regular day to day on what the majority of folks are using for compound.

At our track MOST folks are using Niftech compound so I really don't do much of anything except apply the compound to the tires withing about 15 minutes of hitting the track. The Niftech does a great job evaporating off so no need to wipe. I "burn out" the front tires on the burn out pad for about 3-4 seconds to warm the front tires then do a couple warm-up laps. This give my car good balance from the start. If I don't do the front tires or do all four tires my car has a terrible push the first minute or two and puts me in a hole.

If I'm at a track where most/everybody use Jack (I HATE Jack!!) I find that I need to clean my tires between rounds or the buildup is a problem. I use a home-brew mixture to clean my tires (I don't use motor spray as I think it dries things out) and then goop 'em before each round. I then follow the same burn-out proceedure.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hogmansp
Any tracks running VTA near the Dubuque Iowa area? Thanks
Mid-America Hobbies in North Liberty, IA is starting to run them. Only had 2 races so far, but the interest is growing. http://www.midamericaoff-road.com/index.html Its about 1 1/2 hours from Dubuque or so. Only had 3 the first race day and I'm not sure how many were this past Saturday as I wasn't there... Just checked and it was only 2, but it was also a non-points day which has a significant lower turnout. One last thing, no traction compound allowed. The floor is heated and the carpet has a ton of traction.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I use paragon, the old stinky stuff, and also work the tires on a rough surface like concrete. My first set took much more work than the second set, both of which started at new.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What are you guys doing to get these tires to hook up? traction compound....etc

Thanks
Like was mentioned earlier, proper glueing is very important. I like to glue the inner/outer bead to the rim (you have to hold open the outside sidewall "flap" to get in there), let the glue set and then glue the outer side wall "flap" to the rim also. Then you can remove the center molding seam, but I've had good luck just running them in without it. To run them in I just clean them very good (Simple Green seems to work pretty well), put full tire compound (I use Jack the Gripper) on all the way around and run 6-10 minutes of practice. Then clean them, full compound again, and run another 6-10 minutes. After that they are ready to go....for me anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is from my VTA tip line....go here for even more options....

http://www.nashrcracer.com/forum/vie...r=asc&start=45

TIP...this is something Im trying and it seems to work really well...for alot of "BIG" races you are required to have close to new tires..or at least alot of thread...but we all know the VTA tires are not the best new...

so what Ive done is take a new set of tires...open the package and remove the foam inserts....then take Reino Marinade and pour a hefty some into the bag....massage the tires real good..after a few mins...seal the bag with tape/staple...or just use a ziplock bag...once sealed let them soak for 2 days...if you can let the sun bake them, do so....this really helps..

after that remove from the bag and clean with Reino tire cleaner...you can try other cleaners, but I dont know if it has the same effect...once the tires are clean and dry....mount them as normal...you should have a nice set of really soft, full thread tires to use....

FYI...this TIP will be very helpful at BTH 09, Cashville Enduro, and MCC
Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What is Reino Marinade and where can I get some?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Buggy grip works just as well
Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

sorry kinda a bit of a noob, i have not race 1/10 for along time. the venom lipo 5000 40c packs. would they be good for the VTA class? btw i am building my car for the summer season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.