Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
So NO timing or Juiced ESC's?...BUT the timing on the motors can be adjusted ? If I understoof that correctly.

If Novak is getting ALL the profit from VTA (with the exception) one LRP esc..why not make the VTA combo ALL timing fixed. motor and esc..and put the spec 5.0 FDR on it too...now it's ALL about driver and car color.

I know this was a tough decision Rob, and impossible to make without upsetting some people. I have to ask you though, did you contact Tekin to see if they were interested in working with you on this ? I'm pretty sure Tekin would have easily been able to work something out with VTA.
Tekin who? Tekin's the debil

and don't take offense to that ^^^ as it's meant to be taken as a joke... I would curious to know if Tekin was presented with an opportunity to create a sensored brushless VTA friendly esc that could be purchased for less than $100 new if they would be interested in doing it.

Last edited by trerc; 12-30-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
dudes?
i want to see it in formal print. not this online crap. you owe me at least that for what you have done to my mental faculties, not to mention my family. you owe us all! pay up!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc

and don't take offense to that ^^^ as it's meant to be taken as a joke... I would curious to know if Tekin was presented with an opportunity to create a sensored brushless VTA friendly esc that could be purchased for less than $100 new if they would be interested in doing it.
And then your still buying a new speed control. Better yet, your waiting months for a new speed control. I don't remember Tekin being any quicker to market with a brand new speed control than any other company.

$60 on a refurbed Havoc and your jamming gears in a few days. Great service and tried and true harware. The heat sinks are black now too.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Post #7273

That article linked should be required reading before anyone even thinks of building a TA car. I read it back in the day but completely forgot about it.

Thanks Scottrik.

(Now if i can just convince my girlfriend to move to a city with a healthy VTA scene.)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I'm going to TRY and attach an article on Vintage TransAm that was written about a year and a half ago and published in the short-lived RC Competion e-zine. Content on their site has now entirely disappeard so I can't link to the formatted article as-published.

Keep in mind this was written JUST as the 2s / 21.5 combo was approved...I hadn't yet seen one run and vehemently disagreed with the change once I had seen them. Some of the "prophesies" have come to pass, some have not. eg. I asked for rules stability to last the balance of that year and through the next (which would take up to today)...turns out that stability lasted two full years (since the changes don't take place until September), and with a poor spec no less.

This article was pre-screened and "adjusted" with the aid of Marty Hagemann who has fully endorsed it. This was critically important to me as he is as much the "father" of the class as anyone else.

I have highlighted some passages in bold in response to some of the questions and disagreement(s) here.

Enjoy.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

no offense taken. I was just curious myself.

I like the fact of changing something of trying to get back to the start, and understand it's hard to come up with one simple soultion. The one part I don't understand is not allowing adjustable esc's, but allowing adjustable motor timing ? I guess if one guy can turn it to max, everyone else can too and then it's the same, but it didn't aid the direction of slowing the cars down. I guess it is what it is, and it's still fun regardless.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
And then your still buying a new speed control. Better yet, your waiting months for a new speed control. I don't remember Tekin being any quicker to market with a brand new speed control than any other company.

$60 on a refurbed Havoc and your jamming gears in a few days. Great service and tried and true harware. The heat sinks are black now too.
the rules are for next year.

Don't forget the 25.5. too.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

We have until Sept and Tekins haven't had heat sinks in years.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

We have until Sept and Tekins haven't had heat sinks in years.
Yea I will say the Tekin looks good in my tubby even though I think its a PITA to figure out.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Randy indicated that Tekin was willing to come out with a "spec" version of firmware with unique lights/chimes, so existing RS users wouldn't have to spend anything, and no new hardware would be required. And since it's still 2009 and the new rules don't take effect until Sept. 2010, there is plenty of time.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6446160-post7444.html
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
no offense taken. I was just curious myself.

I like the fact of changing something of trying to get back to the start, and understand it's hard to come up with one simple soultion. The one part I don't understand is not allowing adjustable esc's, but allowing adjustable motor timing ? I guess if one guy can turn it to max, everyone else can too and then it's the same, but it didn't aid the direction of slowing the cars down. I guess it is what it is, and it's still fun regardless.
You almost answered your own question....

With only 1 motor...even you can adjust timing, as long as you find out the fast guy is using 10*...you can go ahead to adjust yours. Afterall, all of us are using Ballasitc 25.5.....not like he was using a DUO 2 or SP V3 25.5. You should ask around and adjust the timing accordingly.

However, if the rule allow adjustable esc, 1st, it has to allow ALL the brands, 2nd, one of 2 of those brand will have the advantage over the other, 3rd, it will ended up to year 2009.....$200 speedo are the one to use and those GTB will be back on the for sale market again.

To answer your eariler question...why not having NOVAK to create a no timing adjustment 25.5. I don't think that is necessory....if the winner used 10* timing on the ballastic and won...I think everyone else will copy his setup and set to 10*...however, have NOVAK to mfr another line of 25.5 just because it is for USVTA, I think it is the marketing problem for them...it is just not enough ppl to purchase this special motor to cover the cost of Novak for a locked endbell.

Once the 25.5 are avalible...I am sure there will be some VTA races with striaghtly 25.5 motor and it will be video avalible for everyone to evaluate the "speed" of the 25.5 with 2S lipo.......hopefully there will be indoor carpet and outdoor (definitely not outdoor in CHICAGO untill summmer).
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my head hurts....

I hope you know what you are doing...and I will try and prepare the local crews and surrounding areas to get on the new rule set...but to be honest with you, I see alot of ppl just walking away...I really dont see an issue with the current rules other than speeds...but when I look at 17.5 tc or RCGT, I dont see VTA as no way as fast as VTA....

and bending on the esc is one thing, but another motor, that will not be used for anything else but VTA...pointless...I mean the 21.5(s) will be waste if you cant "dump" them on someone...and even with a oval class being HUGE in some areas.....dont expect ppl to buy your old junk....

I dont know how to get ppl on this bandwaggon...when Ive already got them to get Novak 21.5's...just coming back to ask again seems....in bad taste, or greedy
Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey Rob.....doesnt Novak have an exchange program for their motors? Cant you send in the motor you have now and exchange it for another model....like say take my current 21.5 and send it back in them for a 25.5?

Just wanted to make sure I was reading what was said before.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Bogus rules

I not sure why I'm even posting here. I only get to race a few times a year. I got out of tc racing because the fun went away. I heard about VTA, and jumped all over it! Now the rules are getting all screwed up!

1) 25.5 motor=more money invested.
2) Novak GTB (just got a Slyder in exchange for my burned-up GTB)= more money.
3) A DRIVER FIGURE?????= Dork-o-meter pegged to the moon! I'm an r/c racer not a modeler! If I wanted to paint interiors, I'd do plastic models and save a boatload of dough.

Why mess with an obviously successfull series? I REFUSE to spend any more money on a "marginalized" series.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
my head hurts....

I hope you know what you are doing...and I will try and prepare the local crews and surrounding areas to get on the new rule set...but to be honest with you, I see alot of ppl just walking away...I really dont see an issue with the current rules other than speeds...but when I look at 17.5 tc or RCGT, I dont see VTA as no way as fast as VTA....

and bending on the esc is one thing, but another motor, that will not be used for anything else but VTA...pointless...I mean the 21.5(s) will be waste if you cant "dump" them on someone...and even with a oval class being HUGE in some areas.....dont expect ppl to buy your old junk....

I dont know how to get ppl on this bandwaggon...when Ive already got them to get Novak 21.5's...just coming back to ask again seems....in bad taste, or greedy
you're in the same boat I am in...

i get the need to slow the class down, but i think the changing of the speedo will do that - not sure what the motor and speedo will do other then causing people to have to spend money on more them just a speed control

all the internet financial wizards can come up with all the analysis they want - bottom line, a lot of people won't be willing to shell out cash for both

at least if you're an outdoor-only program, your guys will basically have until spring of 2011 to get ready for this - if you choose to go all the way - I know that's what I plan on doing with my area...run what we've been doing, except we'll add in the limited timing/no boost-turbo clause, and go the whole summer and into oct/nov following the pre-speedo/motor rules - then see how the class still stands

not sure what else there is to do...
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I not sure why I'm even posting here. I only get to race a few times a year. I got out of tc racing because the fun went away. I heard about VTA, and jumped all over it! Now the rules are getting all screwed up!

1) 25.5 motor=more money invested.
2) Novak GTB (just got a Slyder in exchange for my burned-up GTB)= more money.
3) A DRIVER FIGURE?????= Dork-o-meter pegged to the moon! I'm an r/c racer not a modeler! If I wanted to paint interiors, I'd do plastic models and save a boatload of dough.

Why mess with an obviously successfull series? I REFUSE to spend any more money on a "marginalized" series.
as the common themed response would be - VTA might not be for you...

don't agree with that concept, but that's the general feel of everything that has been posted since Rob announced the new rules...I know i love spec racing - and i can't see why such radical changes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.