R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #7276
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket3 View Post
So NO timing or Juiced ESC's?...BUT the timing on the motors can be adjusted ? If I understoof that correctly.

If Novak is getting ALL the profit from VTA (with the exception) one LRP esc..why not make the VTA combo ALL timing fixed. motor and esc..and put the spec 5.0 FDR on it too...now it's ALL about driver and car color.

I know this was a tough decision Rob, and impossible to make without upsetting some people. I have to ask you though, did you contact Tekin to see if they were interested in working with you on this ? I'm pretty sure Tekin would have easily been able to work something out with VTA.
Tekin who? Tekin's the debil

and don't take offense to that ^^^ as it's meant to be taken as a joke... I would curious to know if Tekin was presented with an opportunity to create a sensored brushless VTA friendly esc that could be purchased for less than $100 new if they would be interested in doing it.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..

Last edited by trerc; 12-30-2009 at 02:05 PM.
trerc is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #7277
Tech Elite
 
seaball's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,303
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
dudes?
i want to see it in formal print. not this online crap. you owe me at least that for what you have done to my mental faculties, not to mention my family. you owe us all! pay up!
__________________
*** The Gate II - Home of Mike Wise ***
seaball is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #7278
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Tekin who? Tekin's the debil

and don't take offense to that ^^^ as it's meant to be taken as a joke... I would curious to know if Tekin was presented with an opportunity to create a sensored brushless VTA friendly esc that could be purchased for less than $100 new if they would be interested in doing it.
And then your still buying a new speed control. Better yet, your waiting months for a new speed control. I don't remember Tekin being any quicker to market with a brand new speed control than any other company.

$60 on a refurbed Havoc and your jamming gears in a few days. Great service and tried and true harware. The heat sinks are black now too.
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #7279
Tech Master
 
pejota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Post #7273

That article linked should be required reading before anyone even thinks of building a TA car. I read it back in the day but completely forgot about it.

Thanks Scottrik.

(Now if i can just convince my girlfriend to move to a city with a healthy VTA scene.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I'm going to TRY and attach an article on Vintage TransAm that was written about a year and a half ago and published in the short-lived RC Competion e-zine. Content on their site has now entirely disappeard so I can't link to the formatted article as-published.

Keep in mind this was written JUST as the 2s / 21.5 combo was approved...I hadn't yet seen one run and vehemently disagreed with the change once I had seen them. Some of the "prophesies" have come to pass, some have not. eg. I asked for rules stability to last the balance of that year and through the next (which would take up to today)...turns out that stability lasted two full years (since the changes don't take place until September), and with a poor spec no less.

This article was pre-screened and "adjusted" with the aid of Marty Hagemann who has fully endorsed it. This was critically important to me as he is as much the "father" of the class as anyone else.

I have highlighted some passages in bold in response to some of the questions and disagreement(s) here.

Enjoy.
pejota is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #7280
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 577
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Tekin who? Tekin's the debil

and don't take offense to that ^^^ as it's meant to be taken as a joke... I would curious to know if Tekin was presented with an opportunity to create a sensored brushless VTA friendly esc that could be purchased for less than $100 new if they would be interested in doing it.
no offense taken. I was just curious myself.

I like the fact of changing something of trying to get back to the start, and understand it's hard to come up with one simple soultion. The one part I don't understand is not allowing adjustable esc's, but allowing adjustable motor timing ? I guess if one guy can turn it to max, everyone else can too and then it's the same, but it didn't aid the direction of slowing the cars down. I guess it is what it is, and it's still fun regardless.
miket3 is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #7281
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 577
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
And then your still buying a new speed control. Better yet, your waiting months for a new speed control. I don't remember Tekin being any quicker to market with a brand new speed control than any other company.

$60 on a refurbed Havoc and your jamming gears in a few days. Great service and tried and true harware. The heat sinks are black now too.
the rules are for next year.

Don't forget the 25.5. too.
miket3 is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #7282
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
And then your still buying a new speed control. Better yet, your waiting months for a new speed control. I don't remember Tekin being any quicker to market with a brand new speed control than any other company.

$60 on a refurbed Havoc and your jamming gears in a few days. Great service and tried and true harware. The heat sinks are black now too.
We have until Sept and Tekins haven't had heat sinks in years.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #7283
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 272
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
We have until Sept and Tekins haven't had heat sinks in years.
Yea I will say the Tekin looks good in my tubby even though I think its a PITA to figure out.
__________________
J. Barton
Associated B5M
Associated RC8B3E
smokefan is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #7284
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
And then your still buying a new speed control. Better yet, your waiting months for a new speed control. I don't remember Tekin being any quicker to market with a brand new speed control than any other company.
Randy indicated that Tekin was willing to come out with a "spec" version of firmware with unique lights/chimes, so existing RS users wouldn't have to spend anything, and no new hardware would be required. And since it's still 2009 and the new rules don't take effect until Sept. 2010, there is plenty of time.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6446160-post7444.html
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #7285
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket3 View Post
no offense taken. I was just curious myself.

I like the fact of changing something of trying to get back to the start, and understand it's hard to come up with one simple soultion. The one part I don't understand is not allowing adjustable esc's, but allowing adjustable motor timing ? I guess if one guy can turn it to max, everyone else can too and then it's the same, but it didn't aid the direction of slowing the cars down. I guess it is what it is, and it's still fun regardless.
You almost answered your own question....

With only 1 motor...even you can adjust timing, as long as you find out the fast guy is using 10*...you can go ahead to adjust yours. Afterall, all of us are using Ballasitc 25.5.....not like he was using a DUO 2 or SP V3 25.5. You should ask around and adjust the timing accordingly.

However, if the rule allow adjustable esc, 1st, it has to allow ALL the brands, 2nd, one of 2 of those brand will have the advantage over the other, 3rd, it will ended up to year 2009.....$200 speedo are the one to use and those GTB will be back on the for sale market again.

To answer your eariler question...why not having NOVAK to create a no timing adjustment 25.5. I don't think that is necessory....if the winner used 10* timing on the ballastic and won...I think everyone else will copy his setup and set to 10*...however, have NOVAK to mfr another line of 25.5 just because it is for USVTA, I think it is the marketing problem for them...it is just not enough ppl to purchase this special motor to cover the cost of Novak for a locked endbell.

Once the 25.5 are avalible...I am sure there will be some VTA races with striaghtly 25.5 motor and it will be video avalible for everyone to evaluate the "speed" of the 25.5 with 2S lipo.......hopefully there will be indoor carpet and outdoor (definitely not outdoor in CHICAGO untill summmer).
Solara is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #7286
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,573
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

my head hurts....

I hope you know what you are doing...and I will try and prepare the local crews and surrounding areas to get on the new rule set...but to be honest with you, I see alot of ppl just walking away...I really dont see an issue with the current rules other than speeds...but when I look at 17.5 tc or RCGT, I dont see VTA as no way as fast as VTA....

and bending on the esc is one thing, but another motor, that will not be used for anything else but VTA...pointless...I mean the 21.5(s) will be waste if you cant "dump" them on someone...and even with a oval class being HUGE in some areas.....dont expect ppl to buy your old junk....

I dont know how to get ppl on this bandwaggon...when Ive already got them to get Novak 21.5's...just coming back to ask again seems....in bad taste, or greedy
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/OTT/1UP
Apex Raceway and Hobbies
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #7287
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,833
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Hey Rob.....doesnt Novak have an exchange program for their motors? Cant you send in the motor you have now and exchange it for another model....like say take my current 21.5 and send it back in them for a 25.5?

Just wanted to make sure I was reading what was said before.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....15th year running 2017/18!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #7288
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilberts, IL.
Posts: 653
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Bogus rules

I not sure why I'm even posting here. I only get to race a few times a year. I got out of tc racing because the fun went away. I heard about VTA, and jumped all over it! Now the rules are getting all screwed up!

1) 25.5 motor=more money invested.
2) Novak GTB (just got a Slyder in exchange for my burned-up GTB)= more money.
3) A DRIVER FIGURE?????= Dork-o-meter pegged to the moon! I'm an r/c racer not a modeler! If I wanted to paint interiors, I'd do plastic models and save a boatload of dough.

Why mess with an obviously successfull series? I REFUSE to spend any more money on a "marginalized" series.
rcmiket is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #7289
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
my head hurts....

I hope you know what you are doing...and I will try and prepare the local crews and surrounding areas to get on the new rule set...but to be honest with you, I see alot of ppl just walking away...I really dont see an issue with the current rules other than speeds...but when I look at 17.5 tc or RCGT, I dont see VTA as no way as fast as VTA....

and bending on the esc is one thing, but another motor, that will not be used for anything else but VTA...pointless...I mean the 21.5(s) will be waste if you cant "dump" them on someone...and even with a oval class being HUGE in some areas.....dont expect ppl to buy your old junk....

I dont know how to get ppl on this bandwaggon...when Ive already got them to get Novak 21.5's...just coming back to ask again seems....in bad taste, or greedy
you're in the same boat I am in...

i get the need to slow the class down, but i think the changing of the speedo will do that - not sure what the motor and speedo will do other then causing people to have to spend money on more them just a speed control

all the internet financial wizards can come up with all the analysis they want - bottom line, a lot of people won't be willing to shell out cash for both

at least if you're an outdoor-only program, your guys will basically have until spring of 2011 to get ready for this - if you choose to go all the way - I know that's what I plan on doing with my area...run what we've been doing, except we'll add in the limited timing/no boost-turbo clause, and go the whole summer and into oct/nov following the pre-speedo/motor rules - then see how the class still stands

not sure what else there is to do...
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline  
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #7290
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
I not sure why I'm even posting here. I only get to race a few times a year. I got out of tc racing because the fun went away. I heard about VTA, and jumped all over it! Now the rules are getting all screwed up!

1) 25.5 motor=more money invested.
2) Novak GTB (just got a Slyder in exchange for my burned-up GTB)= more money.
3) A DRIVER FIGURE?????= Dork-o-meter pegged to the moon! I'm an r/c racer not a modeler! If I wanted to paint interiors, I'd do plastic models and save a boatload of dough.

Why mess with an obviously successfull series? I REFUSE to spend any more money on a "marginalized" series.
as the common themed response would be - VTA might not be for you...

don't agree with that concept, but that's the general feel of everything that has been posted since Rob announced the new rules...I know i love spec racing - and i can't see why such radical changes
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:18 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net