Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This summer there was one guy remaining at our track who was running 4 cell and a stock motor. He's a good driver. I was checking his lap times to compare to what the top finishers were doing. He was .5 per lap off of their average time.

The other thing is that the 25.5 motor has a softer feel, just like the old 4 cell cars. Less punch=less crashes. To me, this is also a critical part of the equation.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
It's me Rob King. Doug Carter organized the whole thing 2 years ago. Before Doug, a bunch of guys in Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Montana had been running the seminal class. Marty Hageman got the ball rolling in Milwaukee, where things really took off. 4 cell and 27 turn, which was slow.

Right now, Kevin Kane, Howard Lo, Jimmy Stegen, Rick Vessel, Eric Whiteside, Kris Polonczak, and a lot of other guys help with testing, and evaluating ideas. I didn't pull this out of the air, these guys helped a lot. Ultimately, it's my responsibility though.
Dang it! I've been outed! (sorry, had to post something besides the current 25.5 / ESC topic)

Jimmy
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
OK....please help Rob to do this....if he allowed TEKIN RS even Tekin created a locked VTA software with special light and thingy...what about those who use AE Blackdiamond? And LRP SPX....also Speed Passion GT2...? If VTA allow one, he has to allow the rest of them....guest how long for them (mfr) to create a software or willing to do that..?

Now....a VTA event with 80 racers, lets say 20 drivers per brand...gues how long it take for TECH..?

We will be back to year 2009...almost has NO CHANGE whatsoever.
Thanks, that's the basic reasoning. No programming ports, no appearance of impropriety.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

OK....please help Rob to do this....if he allowed TEKIN RS even Tekin created a locked VTA software with special light and thingy...what about those who use AE Blackdiamond? And LRP SPX....also Speed Passion GT2...? If VTA allow one, he has to allow the rest of them....guest how long for them (mfr) to create a software or willing to do that..?

Now....a VTA event with 80 racers, lets say 20 drivers per brand...gues how long it take for TECH..?

We will be back to year 2009...almost has NO CHANGE whatsoever.
a long while or longer then is necessary?

and i get the point - just don't wanna take my tekin out or have to see guys buy new speedos
Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

On the carpet oval the 21.5/2S was a big class, but most places oval is going all one cell. there might be a market for used motors next year as there is talk of oval dropping back one motor wind to slow things down after all the new speedo's are out. This year oval is 17.5, 13.5, 10.5 and 7.5 all one cell for BRL and the Tour.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
a long while or longer then is necessary?

and i get the point - just don't wanna take my tekin out or have to see guys buy new speedos
(1) Your TEKIN will sell for a good price here on Rctech.
(2) Why sell it when you can TURBO it for 17.5 RCGT, 17.5 Stock and 13.5 SS
(3) Sell it and get Novak VTA combo, esc and motor brand new without spending any money.

I have never seen 1 person has to sell 1 TEKIN or SPX speedo and buy 1 Novak speedo back to race just 1 class (USVTA).....the TEKIN or SPX that they owned will be used for something else...and probably a good use cause they can use the adv timing and turbo feature.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It is what it is, I enjoy the class so I will change the only problem I have is how soon locally are we going to change. Will we wait till the last few days or figure something out through the summer racing months.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

(1) Your TEKIN will sell for a good price here on Rctech.
(2) Why sell it when you can TURBO it for 17.5 RCGT, 17.5 Stock and 13.5 SS
(3) Sell it and get Novak VTA combo, esc and motor brand new without spending any money.

I have never seen 1 person has to sell 1 TEKIN or SPX speedo and buy 1 Novak speedo back to race just 1 class (USVTA).....the TEKIN or SPX that they owned will be used for something else...and probably a good use cause they can use the adv timing and turbo feature.
i have no need to sell mine, as it will find a home in another chassis

its pointless at this point to keep going around and around - and again, i get the whole need to a spec'ed speedo to keep the speeds down...seems like almost everyone here agrees with that...

the biggest thing (to me and maybe i'm just dense) is the motor - why the change...Scottrik said it was explained 'ad nauseum' - but only saw 2 lines from Rob about why the change...

so for all the internet financial wizards - I keep my tekin/LRP/SP/etc ($0) and exchange my 21.5 for the 25.5 (-$45) and now get a spec'ed speedo (~ -$100 refurb'ed ~ $150 new) puts me in the whole about $150-$200 give or take...to me, this isn't really feasbile option for a lot of people...Dropping $150 is a lot more then the price of a set of tires

and yes, i get that tracks don't have to enforce ALL the rules verbatium - so its going to come down to what is best for tracks and its racers...

doing this on the internet is swell, but its ultimately going to chase people away...

Last edited by k_bojar; 12-30-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokefan
It is what it is, I enjoy the class so I will change the only problem I have is how soon locally are we going to change. Will we wait till the last few days or figure something out through the summer racing months.
Exactly, I still say that the only esc that should be allowed is the Novak Havoc 2s. That's the easiest way to insure there is never gonna be another esc issue again. Like I said before, we are racing spec class, if there's an advantage, even if it's minimal you can bet your ass racers will take advantage of it.
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by seaball
you just ruined our lives, and this is all you have to offer for consolation?

god d@mnit!
dudes?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have 2 novak XBR's and one is in my VTA car. Will this be ok? It doesn't have the timing advance and such so I would hate to have to buy a new stator and esc because my esc while fitting the features template of the class has the wrong name on it so I get hosed.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lenman73
I have 2 novak XBR's and one is in my VTA car. Will this be ok? It doesn't have the timing advance and such so I would hate to have to buy a new stator and esc because my esc while fitting the features template of the class has the wrong name on it so I get hosed.
I have been made aware of the XBR. It is discontinued, and I didn't put it on the list. I will add it when I get a chance.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I'm going to TRY and attach an article on Vintage TransAm that was written about a year and a half ago and published in the short-lived RC Competion e-zine. Content on their site has now entirely disappeard so I can't link to the formatted article as-published.

Keep in mind this was written JUST as the 2s / 21.5 combo was approved...I hadn't yet seen one run and vehemently disagreed with the change once I had seen them. Some of the "prophesies" have come to pass, some have not. eg. I asked for rules stability to last the balance of that year and through the next (which would take up to today)...turns out that stability lasted two full years (since the changes don't take place until September), and with a poor spec no less.

This article was pre-screened and "adjusted" with the aid of Marty Hagemann who has fully endorsed it. This was critically important to me as he is as much the "father" of the class as anyone else.

I have highlighted some passages in bold in response to some of the questions and disagreement(s) here.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Vintage_TA_article_4 12-09.doc (69.5 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds great, thanks Rob
Old 12-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default VTA

So NO timing or Juiced ESC's?...BUT the timing on the motors can be adjusted ? If I understoof that correctly.

If Novak is getting ALL the profit from VTA (with the exception) one LRP esc..why not make the VTA combo ALL timing fixed. motor and esc..and put the spec 5.0 FDR on it too...now it's ALL about driver and car color.

I know this was a tough decision Rob, and impossible to make without upsetting some people. I have to ask you though, did you contact Tekin to see if they were interested in working with you on this ? I'm pretty sure Tekin would have easily been able to work something out with VTA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.