Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
I don't speak on behalf of Rob or the USVTA, but I'm pretty sure it was covered that the ESCs would need to be non-programmable. There's no easy way to include the programmable ESCs without creating a big burden for tech people (of which, many clubs tracks don't have someone to tech).

Using what's remaining of my imagination not consumed by the ladies in the Buffy marathon, I can see many local clubs simply allowing zero timing on all their racer's adjustable-timing ESCs. This would be, in effect, the same concept outlined in the national rules. The national rules, however, would be very easy to enforce at big events, whether that be the 'birds, Vegas, Novak, or the actual USVTA nationals.
As stated before the difference between a juiced speedo and one of the purposed speedos isn't subtle and it'll would be easy to see on the track and in lap times. Also if there was a VTA specific program created by Tekin with VTA specific LED and chimes it wouldn't really be hard to tech. Simply have the racer turn the car off then on, pretty simple. It wouldn't take any longer than teching voltage.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
ladies in the Buffy marathon

I think this puts the importance of ESC rules in perspective.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

what about the old LRP TC and 2007 speedos they do not have the
turbos and cant not be upgraded to have them why are they not
on the list?? or the old speed passions?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OMG, It's the TC stock class all over again!!!

In my twenty plus years racing RC I have never seen a Spec class be successful. Every hot shoe will seek and find ways to get some advantage or edge over the rest of the rule abiding community.

VTA was fun for a few months a couple years ago but now it really is a TC class with brick shaped bodies.

What is a VTA "Ceaser"?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
OMG, It's the TC stock class all over again!!!

In my twenty plus years racing RC I have never seen a Spec class be successful. Every hot shoe will seek and find ways to get some advantage or edge over the rest of the rule abiding community.

VTA was fun for a few months a couple years ago but now it really is a TC class with brick shaped bodies.
IMHO it would be neat if Vintage TransAm Racing was exactly that.
instead of the latest and greatest TC platform, that something truely vintage (plastic pans) that was not a new release had to be used. old cars finding new homes.
instead of fighting over the latest LiPO power available, I'd suggest that NiMHs will be around for quite a while longer.
instead of adopting the lastest and greatest ESC and BL mill, go back to using vintage electronics. it is not like the supply has dried up.
and go back to the true spirit and appeal of vintage racing, keep the "technology" out if it, and not just hope to get by on the vintage "look" that really is as you said "a TC class with brick shaped bodies."

-just my 2-cents
Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by smokefan
Rob has Novak said anything about how long it will be before we can buy the 25.5 motors ?
I just heard that the rules were approved when you guys did.....

We need to have a little time to add these new items to the store (and build up some inventory). The Ballistic 25.5 replacement stators are available now. We hope to have everything on-line by the end of next week; when we do, I will start a separate thread in this forum area for questions, comments and suggestions about Novak products.

I have noticed quite a few orders in the store this week-end for our RMF Havoc 2S esc----some series participants must be planning ahead! We understand that change is difficult but we want to help make this transition as painless as possible for our customers. Let me re-post a number of comments I have made earlier:

~ offer the Havoc 2S/SS Pro 25.5 BL System for the special price of $129.99. This should help attract new participants to the series, because of the affordable up-front system price.

~ add the SS Pro 25.5 to our Service Replacement Option Program, so those of you with other Novak BL motor winds can exchange them for this new wind.

~ set up a special US VTA section in our store featuring the approved electronics, (new and factory-RMF) replacement parts/service items and optional accessories that series members may need.

~ include the Havoc Pro esc in our ESC Service Replacement Program (Code G), so that those of you with old GTBs, SLYDRs, etc. can swap them for the Havoc Pro, if desired. We will also offer an upgrade from Havoc 2S/3S to Havoc Pro. (Factory RMF versions)

~ test all of the approved Novak escs with the 25.5 motors (under the same load) and publish the results, to see if there is a measurable performance difference (as discussed earlier)

We want to work with Rob and all the VTA members to make this series even more fun and affordable in this New Year; any suggestions, just PM me and I will see what we can do.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The rules are there to try to get the timing advance out of the speed controls. None of the escs on the list have timing advance as far as I know. The speed passions, LRP 2007, etc. all have advance, just not turbo or cheat mode or what ever.

As far as Tekin, I want to have non-externally programmable, non timing advance escs. They have a fine product, but I'm not going to ask them to make something new (without a data port) just for us.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've been fiddling with the v203 Tekin on the bench for the first time tonight.... I am almost speechless how nasty this 21.5 sounds.
I can't imagine the difference in 13.5 or 10.5 with this thing.
9/10 can't come soon enough.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have heard it is like going up a motor FWIW
Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone want to answer the "post" that the Prez put up?

I would like to see Tekin involved with all forms of R/C competition. We can work something out to allow the Rs to be ran.

Locking out racers based off of equipment they already purchased and force them to spend more on parts/equipment is generally the wrong direction to take.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk

As far as Tekin, I want to have non-externally programmable, non timing advance escs. They have a fine product, but I'm not going to ask them to make something new (without a data port) just for us.
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Anyone want to answer the "post" that the Prez put up?

I would like to see Tekin involved with all forms of R/C competition. We can work something out to allow the Rs to be ran.

Locking out racers based off of equipment they already purchased and force them to spend more on parts/equipment is generally the wrong direction to take.
It sounds like the Tekin is too easily manipulated, leaving a lot of room for "speculation." How feasible would it be for Tekin to create a simple ESC that has fixed, unchangeable software? Guys would still be stuck buying a new esc.

Club levels can still make whatever provisions they want/need to satisfy their local niche. I imagine there will be a lot of v183 RSs still running VTA next year.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just got the car together for a little winter fun...and thought I'd peak in here to see about set ups.....well this news of everything changing really came as a shock.....
One good thing is.....These are National Rules by the VTA association. Local tracks will make the decisions that will benefit the local paying customers...21.5 Duo and a Tekin will be just fine... I just won't be supporting a national race....Unless it was the HPI vintage class....17.5 and Lipo was a kick last year to watch
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for me personally, if the tekin's could have a firmware setup to be legal, I wouldn't mind seeing speed passion do the same too. Or create an ESC or something.

Anyway, USVTA has to do what they feel they go to do. For those of us who want to keep with the old style rules, it may be the class at our areas turn into ROAR style VTA, of course, till that changes.

As a side question, how much of a performance difference are people seeing between motors on the same non-timing advanced ESCs?? I guess to me at least, I am wondering if now we limit to non-timing ESCs, is there much different from motor to motor to still warrant keeping other manufacturers out?

This is based on performance differences I have seen in just Novak Ballistics versus other ballistics, so based on that I am curious is there all that much difference between the motors without the timing advance?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

$130 for a Havoc and 25.5!?!?!?!?!?!?

And i thought the $150-$160 was a good deal when it came out!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
As a side question, how much of a performance difference are people seeing between motors on the same non-timing advanced ESCs?? I guess to me at least, I am wondering if now we limit to non-timing ESCs, is there much different from motor to motor to still warrant keeping other manufacturers out?

This is based on performance differences I have seen in just Novak Ballistics versus other ballistics, so based on that I am curious is there all that much difference between the motors without the timing advance?
Oh the difference is night and day. I remember very well when tekin released the 189 software, that changed everything...

I commend Tekin for wanting to get in the game. They are a major player with top notch customer service and rightfully deserve to be in the mix.More than one can say for LRP. I'm sure if given the chance Tekin would be willing to build a spec/entry level ESC that will conform to the new rules, for my cash I know I'd rather it say Tekin on the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.