Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree649Likes

Team Associated B6 & B6D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Originally Posted by kdub
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What does the long shock rear setup do for the car?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kakenballs
Does anyone know if chassis tweak is useful in off-road? I made a few adjustments on the weight of the buggy back to legal weight & for the front to rear bias I wanted which is 38 62. I've always used calipers to set ride height & shock collar spring tension evenly. If no feedback will post info.
Compared to on-road cars, off road is much less sensitive to tweak as the springs are softer and the cars are heavier. However if there is significant tweak it will have a noticeable effect on jumping straight (especially if you have different down travel). Making sure your chassis is flat, setting springs equally, re-bleeding shocks and using calipers to set shock length equally is a good start, but if you have access to corner weights you can use them to get the least tweak in case of springs that aren't perfectly matched in length.

Originally Posted by psycho02
What does the long shock rear setup do for the car?
On the bumpy dirt tracks we have here in Australia, it improved rear traction a lot over sharp bumps and also seems to land a little more plush.

Ray
rgrg2 and Big_Show like this.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Let me start by saying that I am new to the B6 party. I have been racing 2wd for the past year though. I have been running a T5m 17.5 and SC5m. I also built a B5m CE 17.5. The stock buggy hasn't seen much action since the class hasn't had any support and got off the ground. So, I have only taken it to the track and practiced with it. I did manage to run it a couple times with the mod guys cuz they didn't have enough to run a class.

Now back to the B6...I recently bought and built a B6d kit. I built it box stock with the exception of the shocks. I did put 30wt in all four corners. However, I put green front springs on and Kyo white in the rear. No hop ups or mods at this point.

I have read through the first 277 pages of this thread but, I haven't caught up quite yet. I currently run on a club track that is probably considered small and tight. The surface is a clay compound for the most part. It can range from loose and a bit damp in the morning for practice and 1st qual...to med-high bite blue groove by second qual and mains. We typically run small pin (hole shot) type to dirt web, hybrid, reflex when the groove is up.

I have ran about 6 packs through this buggy thus far. I am really liking the way if feels and handles. Like most...I am always looking for it to get even better...LOL. I am thinking that the first mod I make will be the 31mm shock bodies on the rear and the long tower? I just want to get some clarification on what to expect from this change? Also, when I rebuild the shocks, what are the specifics with regard to stroke, spacers, etc? Without any changes in the build, I would think the overall shock would be longer even if I set the stroke the same? Do I have that correct? Do, I remove the spacer/s or adjust the stroke? I get the increased damping effect based on increased oil volume. Lastly, do I need to change the spring rate if I am relatively content with the way the car handles to compensate for the change?

I know this is long and I am seeking a lot of info on this subject. Feel free to message me directly
Old 05-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The taller rear tower will account for the increased length of shock body. Both shocks short and long use the same shock shaft length, so your up/down travel will remain the same.

If I understand correctly, the long shock has more oil volume on top of the piston.
freezeframe007 likes this.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

If I decide to use this tuneup option...would the 91498 shock kit be the right item? My plan would be to completely build the shocks so that I would have both sets in the event I wanted to switch back to the stock setup for some reason. I thought I read somewhere that you could just pull the rear shocks off the b5m and put them with the long tower on the b6d and be done. If that is correct, then this shock package would get me there and all I would need would b the long tower? Is this correct? Also, still looking for more feedback on my last post...
Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The b5m rear shock bolt right up to the b6 with the rear tower.
freezeframe007 likes this.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

If I completely build a laydown tranny to include ball diff, top shaft and slipper, can I just unbolt the motor, swap the tranny and reset the mesh? Would this be the quickest way to make a tuning change and get the car back on the track? I am already in the process of procuring the long tower and complete pair of 31mm shocks. Is it just that easy or am I missing something else?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freezeframe007
If I completely build a laydown tranny to include ball diff, top shaft and slipper, can I just unbolt the motor, swap the tranny and reset the mesh? Would this be the quickest way to make a tuning change and get the car back on the track? I am already in the process of procuring the long tower and complete pair of 31mm shocks. Is it just that easy or am I missing something else?
If you run the laydown with shocks on the rear yes this should be all you need.
Otherwise I would probably add another tower, shock standoffs & wing mount to the spare tranny too.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Phillip F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLbnYJ3gJ-0

One of the features of this device is that it helps you pinpoint what motor timing you need to be (for optimum performance) ...at a specific voltage....in this case 6.0 amps.
When using one of these anaylizers is the 6.0a target used for all motors? I.e. 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, 10.5, 7.5, 5.5 etc? I notice that the video shows 2s battery with 1/10 motors. I guess you wouldn't use this 1/8 systems cuz I have never seen a truggy or buggy motor with a timing adjustment? Or, a SC specific motor for that matter...
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Got 2 B6's. One race night and 2 practice days on the 17.5. Broken front shock tower. On the mod buggy B6...got 3 batteries through it and same front broken shock tower. Both cars broke at the same angle on the same side, inside the inner most shock hole. Was running both cars on the middle hole. Figured it would break there if it did but, nope. Broke them both exactly the same at an odd angle near the inner hole. Hopefully my local hobby shop can get me replacements in time for racing Saturday. They were out of stock tonight.

Last edited by PorTX; 05-24-2017 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Because
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

When using one of these anaylizers is the 6.0a target used for all motors? I.e. 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, 10.5, 7.5, 5.5 etc? I notice that the video shows 2s battery with 1/10 motors. I guess you wouldn't use this 1/8 systems cuz I have never seen a truggy or buggy motor with a timing adjustment? Or, a SC specific motor for that matter...
For spec racing yes. Not required for mod motors. For mod, tune endbell for feel.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PorTX
Got 2 B6's. One race night and 2 practice days on the 17.5. Broken front shock tower. On the mod buggy B6...got 3 batteries through it and same front broken shock tower. Both cars broke at the same angle on the same side, inside the inner most shock hole. Was running both cars on the middle hole. Figured it would break there if it did but, nope. Broke them both exactly the same at an odd angle near the inner hole. Hopefully my local hobby shop can get me replacements in time for racing Saturday. They were out of stock tonight.
Almost always the result of driving under pipes. Schelle makes a 5mm tower
without the outer holes since there never used.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've found most higher turn motors (13.5 and 17.5) in off road aren't actually optimal at 6.0 amps. Depending on track size, I've found anything between 2.2-3 amps is better to allow the torque needed....but that's just my experience (and this is using a skyRC motor analyzer)
Old 05-25-2017, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can anyone recommend a servo horn, 24T for hitech, that will work with the B6D. Tried the TLR but it did not clear.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...821-bk/p480542

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.