Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MrLean
Have a used 2018 being shipped to me as we speak. I am going to go through the car and freshen it up. Any Suggestions on which wear parts to replace? I’m going to start with the shocks, diffs and slipper. Can anyone confirm if a associated spur/pads and associated xrings will fit? Has anyone ever tried yokomo yz4 sf spurs or xrings? I’d like to support my LHS if possible and they don’t stock X-ray sadly
Check the driveshaft pins at the dogbone end, they wear quite fast. Check the outdrives on the diffs & slipper, if the pins on the shafts are worn, they take the outdrives with them.
MrLean likes this.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Any particular reason that most of the teams drivers setups use oil weights much much higher than other teams like AE, TLR, Yokomo? Is that a car dependent thing, or a driving style/philosophy thing?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any particular reason that most of the teams drivers setups use oil weights much much higher than other teams like AE, TLR, Yokomo? Is that a car dependent thing, or a driving style/philosophy thing?
Are you talking about "450cst"? That's just a different measurement, kinda like pounds vs kilos.
jpcopeland1 likes this.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EricW
Are you talking about "450cst"? That's just a different measurement, kinda like pounds vs kilos.
I get that, but for instance AE 55wt is 725cst, which would be an example of a team driver setup for front shocks.

Most AE team drivers use around 37.5-40wt, which is 450-500cst.

And 99% of setups for both cars use 2x1.6mm pistons, 12mm shocks etc. So I’m just curious as to why there is such a big discrepancy. Driving style or something else engineering-wise?
rippen and BenPetz like this.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First why are you looking at AE team driver setups for the Xray XB4... lol

If you look on Petit RC database and look at some of the Xray Team driver sheets,
you'll see most are running something 500 F / 450 R or 450 F / 400 R

Higher rates like 600 to 700 are usually for carpet set-ups
offroad dude likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I have a 2018 XB4 and wanted to get some opinions on if it is worth upgrading to the 2019?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Myall

Check the driveshaft pins at the dogbone end, they wear quite fast. Check the outdrives on the diffs & slipper, if the pins on the shafts are worn, they take the outdrives with them.
My 2017 is a great car, but you would think at twice the price for the outdrives they would last twice as long as everybody else, but they seem to ware faster. To replace front rear and clutch outdrives...$125.00!...insane. I know its Xray and everything is more but the outdrives ware to quickly for the price. No I do not drive on a dusty outdoor track, yes I maintain my cars very well yes I replace pins with Hudy pin remover tool.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snwchris
First why are you looking at AE team driver setups for the Xray XB4... lol

If you look on Petit RC database and look at some of the Xray Team driver sheets,
you'll see most are running something 500 F / 450 R or 450 F / 400 R

Higher rates like 600 to 700 are usually for carpet set-ups
I have both cars, that’s why. In addition to the 22-4 2.0 and yz4 sf.

Yes, I am looking at petit rc setups. Apple to apples, carpet/Astro, indoors, same pistons, similar shock bodies. Vastly different oil weights. My question is WHY?....

(note I’m not questioning the ability of the top X-ray drivers to set up a car. Clearly they are awesome. The nerd in me just needs to know WHY things are the way they are)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:42 AM
Tech Addict

I have both cars, that’s why. In addition to the 22-4 2.0 and yz4 sf.

Yes, I am looking at petit rc setups. Apple to apples, carpet/Astro, indoors, same pistons, similar shock bodies. Vastly different oil weights. My question is WHY?....

(note I’m not questioning the ability of the top X-ray drivers to set up a car. Clearly they are awesome. The nerd in me just needs to know WHY things are the way they are)
My best guess/opinion would be car geometry and carpet types.
Euro tracks are mostly the black carpet which is very high bite from the start so a car doesnt need as soft of a suspension to generate traction.
American tracks range from the old Ozite that takes a bit to build a groove and (imo) likes a softer supsension to let the car roll and gain traction.
Other carpets with deeper weeves like the deeper pins to dig in for forward bite but still lean towards a soft suspension for lateral traction.

Then the car geometry plays into effect. AE chassis I know are thicker then the XB so there comes the play of torsional twist.
I see the XB as generating more traction with a thinner softer reacting chassis.
The AE chassis is thicker so the setup window closes a bit and likes a softer suspension to make up for the chassis.

Downside is thicker ca also make the car feel edgy where as a little softer can numb the car up a bit and make it feel more forgiving to the little clips.

Ive looked at a lot of setups trying to crossbreed some and I tend to try and match carpet to carpet.
Ive tried EOS setups and it just feels like I cant find one that works well enough on American carpets.

And then ya - driver discipline lol.
MrLean likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

As for why they are different, cause each car can offer something different to drivers and their driving style.
So I would say most are based on preference and what they are trying to get the car to do for them and their style
MrLean likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moto44
I have a 2018 XB4 and wanted to get some opinions on if it is worth upgrading to the 2019?
I have a 16 XB4 and the car is on rails and still haven't found a need or reason to upgrade to the 19 model.
My center diff outdrive is just now showing signs of needing replaced and yes its been in the car since Sept of 2016 when I bought car new.
The dog bones and pins still look great and the ring/pinion gears and the internal plastic gears in diff have been fine running both carpet and dirt.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robbob
My best guess/opinion would be car geometry and carpet types.
Euro tracks are mostly the black carpet which is very high bite from the start so a car doesnt need as soft of a suspension to generate traction.
American tracks range from the old Ozite that takes a bit to build a groove and (imo) likes a softer supsension to let the car roll and gain traction.
Other carpets with deeper weeves like the deeper pins to dig in for forward bite but still lean towards a soft suspension for lateral traction.

Then the car geometry plays into effect. AE chassis I know are thicker then the XB so there comes the play of torsional twist.
I see the XB as generating more traction with a thinner softer reacting chassis.
The AE chassis is thicker so the setup window closes a bit and likes a softer suspension to make up for the chassis.

Downside is thicker ca also make the car feel edgy where as a little softer can numb the car up a bit and make it feel more forgiving to the little clips.

Ive looked at a lot of setups trying to crossbreed some and I tend to try and match carpet to carpet.
Ive tried EOS setups and it just feels like I cant find one that works well enough on American carpets.

And then ya - driver discipline lol.
I agree with the carpet type being a major factor in setup. I originally tried one of the EOS setups for my XB4 and it was way too stiff. I run on office type carpet with pins so it is a lot different than EOS carpet. I had to go down to 1.6 front and 1.4 rear sway bars and 600cst f / 500cst r shock oil in order for my buggy to not feel super edgy and to have the chassis roll more through the corners. I haven't looked into it but it would be interesting to see how Tessmans setup changes between EOS and US tracks.
MrLean likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moto44
Yes, the 19 car is easier to drive than the 18 car. Its not worth trying to update the 18 car to the 19 in my opinion. The rear of the 19 car is so locked in, the it takes away a lot of the twitchyness of the past cars and gives the car of feeling that you can push the car hard or not at all and its still fast. The new car is very hard to get it to traction roll compared to prior years with the same set ups and tires. Overall the few things that were changed have made a huge difference in the car.
tkge and MrLean like this.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Ahhh nice to hear about the 19 car Stig, haven't seen too many people chatting about it.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Ran the car for the first time and qualified 2nd (behind a much better driver). Car is soooooo easy to drive. In the main I had some terrible luck together with some stupid mistakes and fell all the way back to 8th with less than half the race left, but I was able to push the car hard and still work back up to 3rd. Can’t wait to drive it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.