Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC10T4.1 Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Man that's weird. I had a older t4 I had since 2005 and never had to replace any gears. I ran mm7700 and 8.5t tekins no issues. Metal gear isn't going g to actually fix the issue. The only thing I can think of is that you are tighting your transmission case so tight that the binding is causing the older to lock up and fail. Your transmission your roll butter smooth. Just an idea.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10t3b4
Man that's weird. I had a older t4 I had since 2005 and never had to replace any gears. I ran mm7700 and 8.5t tekins no issues. Metal gear isn't going g to actually fix the issue. The only thing I can think of is that you are tighting your transmission case so tight that the binding is causing the older to lock up and fail. Your transmission your roll butter smooth. Just an idea.
Thanks but Naaa thats not it. I know the steel gear wont help, i was just #1 hoping to not have to keep replacing it and #2 hope it causes signs of issues else where.
ive never messed ith the ball diff since i got this thing (used) a few months ago but i cant see how that could be causing any issues since it iw working find and dandy,,, It is probably due for a re build soon so i will tear into it in the next few weeks when i get some scratch for some new balls and rings etc,,,
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRockZ
Hey guys,
My T4 FT seems to keep blowing out the idler gear, even with my slipper loose, It first started with a bearing that blew out and got dissinegrated inside the trans, somehow it only munched the idler and i was able to get it backtogether with a new idler replacement and a new bearing,, it lasted about a week (id roughly say 10-12 packs run through it) and then started clicking again, i tore it down and found the idler chewed again so this time i replaced all the parts i could buy locally

1. Trans Case
2. Topshaft & Gear
3. Another new idler (white plastic)

Thats seemed to be pretty good, i thought my trans issues were over and done with now i been running it about a month but alot less running so i would still say i only ran about 10-12 packs through it. I keep my slipper very loose and when i take off (on concrete) i can hear that slipper slipping for the first 10-20-30 ft so im wondering why i keep ripping the idler gear.
it started ticking again on my last run so i know it wont be long till im replacing it again.
Im looking at possibly getting the Hot racing or Robinson racing steel idler gear from the SC10 for it and then see what the outcome is. Now im wondering though will this gear fit right? i read something about there beint two different trans cases and some different sized bearings or something???
Any info would be much appreciated.
Any ideas or suggestions??
First thoughts:

- Did you replace all the gears in the transmission including the differential gear? Reason I ask this is that maybe there is something wrong with the gear causing excessive wear.

- Are you sure you are letting your slipper slip 10 - 20 - 30 feet? That sounds VERY excessive.

Please post pics of the gears in question.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Very basic questions related to the idler gear as well:

What motor/batt/surface? I've seen idler gears go on T4's only when someone's trying to run a 6.5 on carpet or whatnot.
You are letting off the throttle when your truck gets airborne at all, right?
Are the bearings in the idler gear still totally free and in good shape?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cain
First thoughts:

- Did you replace all the gears in the transmission including the differential gear? Reason I ask this is that maybe there is something wrong with the gear causing excessive wear.

- Are you sure you are letting your slipper slip 10 - 20 - 30 feet? That sounds VERY excessive.

Please post pics of the gears in question.
Yes its excessivly slipping on purpose for now, No i did not replace the center diff but i scraped out all the teeth and cleaned it throughly it is still in like new condition
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MarkA
Very basic questions related to the idler gear as well:

What motor/batt/surface? I've seen idler gears go on T4's only when someone's trying to run a 6.5 on carpet or whatnot.
You are letting off the throttle when your truck gets airborne at all, right?
Are the bearings in the idler gear still totally free and in good shape?
SV2 & Tekin Redline 7.5T running 2s anywhere and everywhere mainly grass or loose dirt

Yes & trans is smooth as butter when complete and bearings new in good condition

This is my whoe reason for posting i dont get it im not doing anything that should be excessive on the gears, no 3s no full throttle jumps no grass to concrete type burnouts etc,,,
Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

anybody try the x60 conversion yet?
how did u like it?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

SV2 & Tekin Redline 7.5T running 2s anywhere and everywhere mainly grass or loose dirt

Yes & trans is smooth as butter when complete and bearings new in good condition

This is my whoe reason for posting i dont get it im not doing anything that should be excessive on the gears, no 3s no full throttle jumps no grass to concrete type burnouts etc,,,
What kind of oils/grease/solvents do you use when rebuilding the tranny
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...-oil/grease/64

enough in that can for about 1 billon tranny, doesnt take very much at all. which you only use it on the gears, be careful not to get any in the diff.

i only decided to try it since i had some from doing a bearing job on my full scale, seemed alot smoother and made less noise then any "shock oil, or diff oil", also motor temps went down 3-5 degrees, which isnt much, but better then the other way
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys. This is the best RC ever made. I originally have a rc10t4 factory team back in 2005. Solid truck never had any issues. I sold it for school back in Oct 2011. Only RC i regret selling. So thanks to towerhobbies easy pay I picked up a brand new rc10t4.1 ft, Robinson racing hardened aluminium different gear for the gt2(ran it on my older t4 early had to rebuild my diffs and can easily hands any brushless) brand new Tekin Rs Pro 7.5t combo, got some Gen ace lipos and a new spektrum dx3c(my first.2.4). Ill be running it at bashers RC raceway in palm beach garden Florida. I wish she has full carbon BC its a factory team but I'm amazed the improvement made to the quality and some parts design.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jake S
http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...-oil/grease/64

enough in that can for about 1 billon tranny, doesnt take very much at all. which you only use it on the gears, be careful not to get any in the diff.

i only decided to try it since i had some from doing a bearing job on my full scale, seemed alot smoother and made less noise then any "shock oil, or diff oil", also motor temps went down 3-5 degrees, which isnt much, but better then the other way
You shouldn't be using any oil or grease on the transmission gears( even states that in the old t4 manual). That adds drag. If he is burning up the idler something is binding or not meshing correctly.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

You shouldn't be using any oil or grease on the transmission gears( even states that in the old t4 manual). That adds drag. If he is burning up the idler something is binding or not meshing correctly.
lower temps mean less drag lol

and did i ever post that it was to fix his idler?

he was most likely doing that from torque'n down the tranny case too much if he put new top shaft and everything.

and for diffs i use the b-fast stuff.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Hey guys. This is the best RC ever made. I originally have a rc10t4 factory team back in 2005. Solid truck never had any issues. I sold it for school back in Oct 2011. Only RC i regret selling. So thanks to towerhobbies easy pay I picked up a brand new rc10t4.1 ft, Robinson racing hardened aluminium different gear for the gt2(ran it on my older t4 early had to rebuild my diffs and can easily hands any brushless) brand new Tekin Rs Pro 7.5t combo, got some Gen ace lipos and a new spektrum dx3c(my first.2.4). Ill be running it at bashers RC raceway in palm beach garden Florida. I wish she has full carbon BC its a factory team but I'm amazed the improvement made to the quality and some parts design.
Nice isn't it?! I'll see you over at Basher's sometime! We're also building a track in West Delray right now. Check out the thread in the Florida Racing forum.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes its excessivly slipping on purpose for now, No i did not replace the center diff but i scraped out all the teeth and cleaned it throughly it is still in like new condition
Check/replace the bearings in the trans. I understand that is an issue for the 22t idlers.

Otherwise I suppose its possible that with so much slipping, the top shaft/gear may heat up and could soften the teeth of the idler.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jake S
lower temps mean less drag lol

and did i ever post that it was to fix his idler?

he was most likely doing that from torque'n down the tranny case too much if he put new top shaft and everything.

and for diffs i use the b-fast stuff.
I'm still lost as in how grease is lowering g your temps if it does cause some drag. And as for his idler issues...I figured it be the case being tighten down too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.