Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer
Was worth it IMO and I would hate going back to the plastic stock part.
It is a little heavier than stock but not by much, it could be seen as a benefit since the weight is right up front with the wheels.
Cool thanks. I notice'd some of the plastic was cracking a bit, and stretching.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by builthatch
when i was a kid i used to strap my rear 2wd buggy/truck tires with fiber-strengthened tape.

i can picture these tires seeing a lot of expansion with all the power...does anyone strap on these SC setups?
I have done this from the start of racing to my 8 2.0 tires and feel that it is not as necessary as I once thought it was and still find myself on the fence about it which I'll get to later.
I have seen that I go faster with unstrapped tires than I do with strapped tires.
I have not dived into back to back testing to offer a better explanation of why.
But... I definitely think the factor of added weight to the wheels as part of the drivetrain can be a big factor and also how the tire does not swell up which actually adds to speed is why I probably have seen what I seen.
Due to my experience with strapped tires with my 4s setup in my buggy I have never tried it in my 2s setup since I have always felt it would prove to be more unnecessary weight to my drivetrain on such a taxed out system (2s) to begin with. I agree though that my last statement can be seen to be more true for heavier SCT's than lighter ones.
Now... If 3s was a much more approved V in my area I definitely would have already strapped tires for my SCT and would have a little bit more to add in relation to SCT's.
I have been very curious about this myself for my 1/8 scale since strapping tires has given me an advantage of running more closer center diff weight to a nitro setup versus the actual diff weight you really need with all the power a 4s setup gives you that usually leads to such an unloading to the front tires making them balloon up.
It has been my experience that strapping tires helps when needing to run a lighter center diff weight when racing on blown out tracks. Which is why I am on the fence still about not having a couple of strapped sets for those tracks.
And, now I read in the Serpent thread that some are countering the front unloading through stiffer rear springs in keeping the front down to limit the unloading which is something I have never considered as an option.
Maybe a thread on others experiences in racing conditions could offer more insight?

Last edited by KingdomRacer; 11-20-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Feint Motion
Cool thanks. I notice'd some of the plastic was cracking a bit, and stretching.
That is what prompted me to get it too which was one of the last things I wanted for my rig but it just was not holding up like the same part on its big brother 8ight 2.0 B/T.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BmainStar
Good Job Josey! I had it out last night with 3 other SCTE`S and a couple ae`s and got Rooted by one of my bud`s like 4 times in the Main and just having a really smooth run.One like I have not had in a while! Tonight s club race got to throw down some Revenge.. While the # 1 truck got to take advantage that 2- and 3 were slugging it out,, it was a Battle to get in front of this mini-Rival and stay there! Truck is soo Sloppy with the OG pivot Balls and needing a serious Tune-UP, but It kicked But! 2nd Place? Fun !..Payback and 2nd Place PRICELESS!
U were fast last night fer sure, especially since ur truck turns like big rig wit 18 flat tires.
and u were even quaddin that double/triple section
Old 11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer
I have seen that I go faster with unstrapped tires than I do with strapped tires.
I have not dived into back to back testing to offer a better explanation of why.
faster as far as overall lap times, or faster terminal speed on straights?

one possible explanation is when the tires grow under acceleration, your overall final drive ratio goes down (numerically) which gives you more top speed potential. it's a sliding scale though. when the rear tires are on the ground digging in, they are closer to their stock size upon acceleration because the weight transfer taking place and the lower wheel speed. the tires are close to their stock size so you get the torque multiplication you expect with the transmission ratios and the gearing you have. but as you reach terminal speed, the truck unloads more evenly, lightens up and the tires both front and back grow, and now your final drive is going down which increases your top speed. it's like gradually adding teeth to the gearing as you are moving along.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by builthatch
faster as far as overall lap times, or faster terminal speed on straights?

one possible explanation is when the tires grow under acceleration, your overall final drive ratio goes down (numerically) which gives you more top speed potential. it's a sliding scale though. when the rear tires are on the ground digging in, they are closer to their stock size upon acceleration because the weight transfer taking place and the lower wheel speed. the tires are close to their stock size so you get the torque multiplication you expect with the transmission ratios and the gearing you have. but as you reach terminal speed, the truck unloads more evenly, lightens up and the tires both front and back grow, and now your final drive is going down which increases your top speed. it's like gradually adding teeth to the gearing as you are moving along.
I did mean faster as it relates to FDR being lowered due to tire ballooning and it is something I see (easier) more down the straight (which does have a slight impact on my lap times for the better). This phenomenon has a direct impact on top speed as you have mentioned and is the reason it is on the top speed calculator that many of us use. However, I do always leave it at 0 when using the calculator.
Back to your question, I am still considering both parts of my next sentence in my post to be a much bigger factor together than individually as I believe your response would suggest that it is only due to the lower FDR.
I am going faster for both the lower FDR as well as the weight of the tape that would only seem logical and really not too much of a surprise to anyone.
Where I am still on the fence is more of handling issues and which one can give better handling, that is where I would need to dive into that more, lol.

Last edited by KingdomRacer; 11-20-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default Study Question on body clips

Are these: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...all-10-Micro-T the replacement clips for the receiver box?

and is this http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Body-Clips-12 for the body?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feint Motion
I'm about to replace some of the worn out steering components in my truck. And was wondering, If Anyone has any input on the STRC CNC Steering, or is it just a "bling" factor.
yep i have installed it and like it alot glad i brought this part as well

never had any problems with the STRC stuff i have brought
Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
I keep seeing a lot of pictures of trucks in here. To those that are using the TL aluminum servo arm, please consider using the inside hole. The outside hole give you positive expo and can make the truck much less predictable.
I was wondering if you are shaving down the steering linkage at all? When using the inside hole with a Hitec my steering range is greatly reduced because the linkage contacts the servo body before full throw. Thats why I went back to the outside hole.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCal Jared
I was wondering if you are shaving down the steering linkage at all? When using the inside hole with a Hitec my steering range is greatly reduced because the linkage contacts the servo body before full throw. Thats why I went back to the outside hole.
I know some servo cases are different. If you cannot get full throw with it on the inside, then I agree, you would want to use a different hole or even a different horn. Maybe just asjust the steering expo a shade off center.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
I know some servo cases are different. If you cannot get full throw with it on the inside, then I agree, you would want to use a different hole or even a different horn. Maybe just asjust the steering expo a shade off center.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 10sctrel0v3r

Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

He said use a different hole!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

BTW I am using the Racers Edge Aluminum arm. Maybe I will try the Losi.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

how are you guys stacking up to the sc10 4x4's in TIGHT indoor tracks? will be moving to tight indoors were this truck dominated big outdoor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.