Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I don't know what you guys are running but I have been running a gear diff this whole season . And now that tebo won the worlds with one in 2wd buggy everybody else is jumping the bandwagon
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

gear diff inventory must be at an all time high.

PM me your email and I can send you a SCR SP setup that works pretty much everywhere. I also made a blank sheet that you can use for your own setups.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Noob...Again. Shock Upgrade Questions for SC RTR

Hello All,

I am coming back to RC racing after about a 20 year break, and going to be doing it with my son. He has had a 2WD Slash we have bashed for a while and a few tracks have opened around us and we want to try our hand at it. Anyway we just picked up a used SC10RS for him, and I went back to my original car a Kyosho Ultima. This is exactly what I had back then!

So I ordered a Kyosho Ultima SC RTR, I know not the SC-R, but it was on sale at Amain for $144 then 10% off so a pretty good deal! I already ordered the MIP Kyosho Ultima SC Keyed C-CVD Kit, after reading about the rear axle issues.

I have also read about the leaky shocks, but don't want to pay as much for the velvets as I did for the entire car! So my question is what would be a good affordable replacement that fits well with good spring and piston selections and easy to rebuild/maintain. Someone suggested the old HPI Blitz shocks, but was wondering if others have some other good suggestions too.

Also what other upgrades should I consider soon?
If anyone has a setup for a tight carpet offroad course that would be appreciated also!

Thanks for helping me get back in the fun!
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread-00m0m_fvtncj7klac_600x450.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kevmtnbiker
Hello All,

I am coming back to RC racing after about a 20 year break, and going to be doing it with my son. He has had a 2WD Slash we have bashed for a while and a few tracks have opened around us and we want to try our hand at it. Anyway we just picked up a used SC10RS for him, and I went back to my original car a Kyosho Ultima. This is exactly what I had back then!

So I ordered a Kyosho Ultima SC RTR, I know not the SC-R, but it was on sale at Amain for $144 then 10% off so a pretty good deal! I already ordered the MIP Kyosho Ultima SC Keyed C-CVD Kit, after reading about the rear axle issues.

I have also read about the leaky shocks, but don't want to pay as much for the velvets as I did for the entire car! So my question is what would be a good affordable replacement that fits well with good spring and piston selections and easy to rebuild/maintain. Someone suggested the old HPI Blitz shocks, but was wondering if others have some other good suggestions too.

Also what other upgrades should I consider soon?
If anyone has a setup for a tight carpet offroad course that would be appreciated also!

Thanks for helping me get back in the fun!
You can try the standard velvet shocks , maybe pick them up on here used and rebuild them . Tsr makes better seal kits for the stock shocks . You might want to look up STRC for some suspension hangers for the front and rear .
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pimpin
gear diff inventory must be at an all time high.

PM me your email and I can send you a SCR SP setup that works pretty much everywhere. I also made a blank sheet that you can use for your own setups.
Hey what are you doing or using in your trans to handle mod motors ?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Funny you mentioned the trans... I was going to reply with no mods necessary but after racing tonight, I've changed my outlook lol the new track layout has a long straight then into a tight 180 turn and after about 7 passes going from full throttle to full brake, I stripped the center gear in the transmission. Soooo.... Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make the tranny able to handle more abuse? (Metal gears) retrofits from other cars? I'm all ears....
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by db450
Funny you mentioned the trans... I was going to reply with no mods necessary but after racing tonight, I've changed my outlook lol the new track layout has a long straight then into a tight 180 turn and after about 7 passes going from full throttle to full brake, I stripped the center gear in the transmission. Soooo.... Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make the tranny able to handle more abuse? (Metal gears) retrofits from other cars? I'm all ears....
If you still have the white Idler gear than you need this one http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-SP-Idler-Gear
Old 10-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Tech Regular

That's the one I stripped. Replaced it with the extra I had which was the white one, and that didn't last hardly 5 minutes! So I replaced EVERYTHING in the transmission, including the cases and put 10 minutes on it then track closed for the night but all was well when I left.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes would also like to know if there is a diff idler gear out there as well that can handle the big mod motors. Something like a aluminum option would be great!!

As well any word on a possible new SCT from kyosho coming out anytime soon?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

An aluminum idler gear is one of the worst things you can possibly buy - the steel top gear will just wear it away and sharpen the teeth over time, and within a year you'll be destroying diff gears left and right.

I've had the same SP (black) idler in my truck for 2 years running mod on both carpet and dirt and have not had any issues. If you're tearing through gears that quickly, your slipper is way, way too tight.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the heads up on the slipper. I was running the same black idler gear for just over a year and had no issues until this new track layout. Might try to up the drag brake also.

And there is rumor of a new sc truck based on the rb6 but that rumor has been around for a while, but obviously nothing out out yet
Old 10-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

If somebody gets ahold of an RT6 , can you check if the Arms are interchangeable with the SCR ?
Old 10-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

they where a different length from the rt5 to the scr and judging from the front off the rb6 platform i would be willing to bet they are different length
Old 10-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Dnf last night due to stripped idler gear...
Old 10-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eper
they where a different length from the rt5 to the scr and judging from the front off the rb6 platform i would be willing to bet they are different length
Well if they if they are then I can use diff offset wheels then , can't I ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.