Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I ran a 15 minute A-Main today mixed with nitro on a large out door track. My current limit was set at 80 and I finished 3rd. Running a T8 2050 and a 4s 4500 40c pack I finished it with no problem at all. I even had enough to spare to do a few more laps on that pack at the end of the race!! Awesome efficiency there!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok, my new RX8 is DOA. I can make changes via Hotwire, but after soldering it up to my SC10 4X4, no joy. I measured voltage at the ESC posts of 8.38v so I know the batt connection is good. There is no spark when connecting the Deans plug from the batt (2S). I tried several known good batts, no luck. With everything plugged into my receiver, there is no servo jump when turning the ESC on, and no lights on ESC or receiver. I unplugged everything from the receiver and still no lights on the ESC. I upgraded and down graded firmware, no change. I unsoldered the motor (Pro4 4600) still nothing from the ESC.
Time to get an RMA?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eradicator
Unable to post in this thread?

Didn't you just post in this thread? No sure what you mean?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Acill
I ran a 15 minute A-Main today mixed with nitro on a large out door track. My current limit was set at 80 and I finished 3rd. Running a T8 2050 and a 4s 4500 40c pack I finished it with no problem at all. I even had enough to spare to do a few more laps on that pack at the end of the race!! Awesome efficiency there!

Congrats on the great finish! How does that work when you are running with nitros that can't go 15 minutes without a pit. Does everyone have to pit at certain intervals?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
Was having the EXACT same problem over the past month. This is in my Mugen MBX6T ECO truggy. The truck runs fine for the first two minutes or so and then I lose steering and throttle intermittently around the track. I replaced the receiver, servo, sensor wire, different batteries, different motor, reset ESC, rebound receivers and still the same problem. It follows the same pattern like clockwork after each of the aforementioned changes. This ESC is only about 1.5 months old, but in my desperation I replaced it with a brand new RX8 I keep in my box for a back-up. Waaaallaaaa, that fixed it! So it seems like once my RX8 gets up to temp so to speak; it begins to fail for some reason. Bought this at a local hobby shop and I lost my receipt Since they're a local place I can't get an online copy like you can when you buy from the online places.
That is the exact same issue I experienced, and I did exactly as you did. Fortunately my is only two days old and I have a receipt. I will be sending it in for replacement and the will sale it and purchase a different brand.

I'm curious, when you purchased a new one did you experience the same issue?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jake C6R
Didn't you just post in this thread? No sure what you mean?
I was trying to post here last night, but I'm a new signup to this forum. I kept getting something along the lines of my post would need to be reviewed before it would post. I was able to post in several other threads. So I posted that, and then it worked, lol. So I edited the post as soon as it posted to what I wanted it to say.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

I was trying to post here last night, but I'm a new signup to this forum. I kept getting something along the lines of my post would need to be reviewed before it would post. I was able to post in several other threads. So I posted that, and then it worked, lol. So I edited the post as soon as it posted to what I wanted it to say.
Gotcha! Sorry you are having trouble with the RX8. I got a bogus "new" one that was already soldered when I got it from a scammer on eBay that sells like no other! After a bit of a battle I got a full refund and got a "real" new one from by LHS, I loaded the new firmware from Tekin via the hotwire and everything has been good so far. Hope you get yours sorted out. Sounds like it is DOA.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok, my new RX8 is DOA. I can make changes via Hotwire, but after soldering it up to my SC10 4X4, no joy. I measured voltage at the ESC posts of 8.38v so I know the batt connection is good. There is no spark when connecting the Deans plug from the batt (2S). I tried several known good batts, no luck. With everything plugged into my receiver, there is no servo jump when turning the ESC on, and no lights on ESC or receiver. I unplugged everything from the receiver and still no lights on the ESC. I upgraded and down graded firmware, no change. I unsoldered the motor (Pro4 4600) still nothing from the ESC.
Time to get an RMA?
Please try this: unplug the Rx8's fan, unplug the servo lead from the receiver, unplug the motor sensor harness from the esc, power up?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfiend
That is the exact same issue I experienced, and I did exactly as you did. Fortunately my is only two days old and I have a receipt. I will be sending it in for replacement and the will sale it and purchase a different brand.

I'm curious, when you purchased a new one did you experience the same issue?
My new one worked great, but I only ran it for one qualifier and 1 main yesterday after I figured out the issue.

I have 12 RC off-road vehicles and every one has a Tekin ESC in them (9 1/10 scale and 3 1/8 scale) and over-all I've had great luck with all my Tekins! In the past two months however, I've had two RX8s bite the dust in some fashion. I had two previous RX8s that lasted 2 years and worked flawlessly. I ended up selling them with the vehicles they were in.

But in February I had one that was only 2 months old melt for no reason, and then the issue I found yesterday where it seems to cut out when it gets up to operating temperature. The saving grace for me is that Tekin's customer service has been top notch so far. I can deal with a few problems here and there since I know their customer service has great support.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Congrats on the great finish! How does that work when you are running with nitros that can't go 15 minutes without a pit. Does everyone have to pit at certain intervals?
In the past I had to go in the pit lane, stop then go. This time they just let us run the race. You can see the few that DNF because they pushed the tank!

Most of the time we don't mix, this was a club race and we only had one heat of buggy and one heat of truggy. The Easter weekend, another big race going on, and just bad luck made for a poor turn out I guess.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Please try this: unplug the Rx8's fan, unplug the servo lead from the receiver, unplug the motor sensor harness from the esc, power up?
Randy I have tried e everything you listed, the LHS suggested the same course of action. It still has the same issue. I agree it is time for an RMA.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Randy, thank you for the reply.
I did not have the fan attached (or plugged in). I did try it with the sensor wire unplugged and everything unplugged from the receiver. Then I tried it with no fan, no motor, no sensor wire and only thing plugged in the receive was the ESC, still nothing.
Shouldn't there be a small spark with connecting the Deans plugs on the battery? All of my other ESC do this, and there is nothing when I connect the batts. But when I measure the voltage off the ESC + and - posts, I read the voltage from the battery, so I know the correct voltage is making it to the RX8.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Gotcha! Sorry you are having trouble with the RX8. I got a bogus "new" one that was already soldered when I got it from a scammer on eBay that sells like no other! After a bit of a battle I got a full refund and got a "real" new one from by LHS, I loaded the new firmware from Tekin via the hotwire and everything has been good so far. Hope you get yours sorted out. Sounds like it is DOA.
Yeah, I can't wait to try it out, I love all the options, etc. I see A Main has them back ordered again, so they are in short supply. It's possible in the rush to get them out to market, something got missed. If it turns out it was something I did, I will post back here. No need to post up something bad about the RX8 if I did it, but I've soldred for a long time on electronics, and raced for years, so I don't think it was anything I did. I did not even get a chance to run it. No magic smoke came out, so I'm sure it's all still in there....
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Randy, thank you for the reply.
I did not have the fan attached (or plugged in). I did try it with the sensor wire unplugged and everything unplugged from the receiver. Then I tried it with no fan, no motor, no sensor wire and only thing plugged in the receive was the ESC, still nothing.
Shouldn't there be a small spark with connecting the Deans plugs on the battery? All of my other ESC do this, and there is nothing when I connect the batts. But when I measure the voltage off the ESC + and - posts, I read the voltage from the battery, so I know the correct voltage is making it to the RX8.
Yes generally there is as the internal caps charge when you plug it in. Looks like it's time for it to come home.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes generally there is as the internal caps charge when you plug it in. Looks like it's time for it to come home.
Thanks Randy. The Tekin support here is great! I'll start the process as soon as I get off work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.