Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

Default Fan Removal

Originally Posted by AWDdude
i am. i dont see why people take the fans off.
The fans are removed because they don't last very long. If they break in the middle of a race you will thermal because the fan blocks the air from reaching the aluminum. If you remove it on a Short Course 4x4 you will run well with in temp range, so why risk it?

The other thing I do is an in-case switch delete. Keep it simple and keep the car reliable.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I haven't run a fan on any of my cars for a long time. I have a couple in my pit box so that if I hit up a loamy/amp hungry track when its approaching 100 degrees out I'll throw one in if I ever hit 7 leds.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dexon555
The fans are removed because they don't last very long. If they break in the middle of a race you will thermal because the fan blocks the air from reaching the aluminum. If you remove it on a Short Course 4x4 you will run well with in temp range, so why risk it?

The other thing I do is an in-case switch delete. Keep it simple and keep the car reliable.
Don't worry about breaking if you have one of these, been running it for months indoor and outdoor.

http://manicrcfans.com/index_files/Page474.htm
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Stanford55
Thanks for the reply. I've heard that too, but I've also heard lowering the CL is a good way to lower temps so I'm caught in a juggling act...beginning to think I have the wrong motor.
If you have a temp gun, try no CL and see if your temps increase.
Also as casper says, drop down one pinion tooth, that should bring down temps and give you a little more bottom end at the cost of top end.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Questions??

Could someone tell me if the T8 2650 buggy motor can be used with the MMM esc?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Brownout: Savox, Spektrum or Tekin?

Hey Folks,

I have a problem with my Spektrum SR3001 Pro receiver shutting off (rebooting I guess). It happens very quickly and easily, I literally turn the wheels from left lock to right lock and back left in under a second and it shuts off. Keep in mind the car is sitting still, and even have the wheels off the ground. Using Turnigy 5600 50C-100C hard case lipo's that are fully charged. I am using a Savox 1257TG servo, and the RX8.

I have an 8700uF capacitor on order to try to fix the problem, but it is my belief that just turning the wheels a couple of times shouldn't be enough to cause a brownout.

So, here's my question:

How do I determine if its the receiver, ESC or the Servo?

If I measure the voltage on the receiver, and see that its dipping below shutoff voltage (4.8 volts I think), is it because the servo is pulling to many amps, or the ESC is not providing enough? Or should I just put in the capacitor and not worry about it?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BULGE-RC
Hey Folks,

I have a problem with my Spektrum SR3001 Pro receiver shutting off (rebooting I guess). It happens very quickly and easily, I literally turn the wheels from left lock to right lock and back left in under a second and it shuts off. Keep in mind the car is sitting still, and even have the wheels off the ground. Using Turnigy 5600 50C-100C hard case lipo's that are fully charged. I am using a Savox 1257TG servo, and the RX8.

I have an 8700uF capacitor on order to try to fix the problem, but it is my belief that just turning the wheels a couple of times shouldn't be enough to cause a brownout.

So, here's my question:

If I measure the voltage on the receiver, and see that its dipping below shutoff voltage (4.8 volts I think), is it because the servo is pulling to many amps, or the ESC is not providing enough? Or should I just put in the capacitor and not worry about it?
Are your steering end points set correctly? Is the servo trying to push past the physical limit of the wheels steering stops?

Listen to the sevo and if it is buzzing loudly, take out some end point adjustment.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Team Tekin

Hey Folks,

So, here's my question:

A voltmeter may not catch this quick of a voltage drop. The cap should correct the issue mind you. You don't even need one that large. A 1000uf 16v cap would do it, readily available at a Radio Shack,etc.

Spektrum part # SPM1600

The servos are known to be power hungry. What you must understand is that the BEC has to power the receiver, servo, personal transponder, external fan if equipped, and sensor system. The servo shouldn't be pulling that many amps anyhow.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
A voltmeter may not catch this quick of a voltage drop. The cap should correct the issue mind you. You don't even need one that large. A 1000uf 16v cap would do it, readily available at a Radio Shack,etc.

Spektrum part # SPM1600

The servos are known to be power hungry. What you must understand is that the BEC has to power the receiver, servo, personal transponder, external fan if equipped, and sensor system. The servo shouldn't be pulling that many amps anyhow.
Thank you, I read other posts about the Savox being power hungry. I use Savox in several cars, and I've noticed short battery life for my Nitro car. Is there any kind of specification/maH usage statistics for different brands of servo that you've seen? I'm kindof pressed for space in my DEX408 to put a capacitor, and I'd prefer to get a more efficient servo setup. Will that big of a capacitor cause problems? I wanted to get one big enough to give me a big "buffer", but I also don't want to have a capacitor recovery time issue.

Originally Posted by fq06
Are your steering end points set correctly? Is the servo trying to push past the physical limit of the wheels steering stops?

Listen to the sevo and if it is buzzing loudly, take out some end point adjustment.
Yes, adjusting the endpoints was my first thought, no binding. I even dialed down my steering rate to 50% and it still happens. I do notice that the servo buzzes even with the wheels straight most of the time, but it will go away if I tweak the direction a bit. Would this point to a possible servo issue?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Team Tekin

A 16v 1000uf cap should be small enough to stick next to the receiver without issue. The shorter the leads, the better.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

instead of a cap you could use an external BEC. but I doubt it would save you any space. another option is you could get a high voltage servo and wire it to one of your batteries directly, no BEC or Cap needed.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Yes, adjusting the endpoints was my first thought, no binding. I even dialed down my steering rate to 50% and it still happens. I do notice that the servo buzzes even with the wheels straight most of the time, but it will go away if I tweak the direction a bit. Would this point to a possible servo issue?
I dont think so. I think the digital servos are always looking for center. I still run my analog airtronics servos from years ago so I don't have first hand experience. Maybe someone that runs servos that are not from the caveman days can chime in on that.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Team Tekin

Servos are always looking to be "centered." However digital servos are much more accurate so they're often "busier" than an analog servo.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Servos are always looking to be "centered." However digital servos are much more accurate so they're often "busier" than an analog servo.
Yeah, what Randy said... but he said it more eloquently.
Randy's not the caveman that I am

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.