Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by babydaddy
I hope you guys can help
I have a RX8 3 hole. The speedo was working fine and I just wanted to turn the brake up slightly.I used hotwire to do it and I realized there was a software update from 212 to 223 so I proceeded with it before making the adjustment. After performing the update and making the adjustment, I recalibrated my esc to the radio. I did a quick test in the house and noticed its like a on and off switch. I played with the timing turning it all the way down, lowered the profile to 1 with no change. As soon as I barley touch the throttle, it takes off aggressively. I tried to revert back to version 212 and after it completes, the esc is does not light up or make arming tones however the transponder is blinking so the bec seems to be working. I reverted back to 223 and everything comes back up. I called Tekin and the man basically said 223 may behave that way to try a current limiter or try reverting back making sure not to uplug it prematurely. I tried 3 more times to revert back with the same dead to the world results. I went back to 223 again and set a current limiter with no better results. I have a big race this Saturday and I am desperate for ideas.
Thanks in advance
Where is your Throttle Min set at?
Try setting it to 1.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
@Lonestar You're lower geared than I'd be on that track. 180f isn't "dreaded" at all actually. I don't worry until I'm over 200f after a rull run. even then if it's 202 it's not a big deal.

Sandy tracks like the one in that pic has lots of wheel spin and being geared too low will make more heat than being over geared by a tooth. Gear up to a 16T and try it.
Randy and all,

I tried 16/44 yesterday, consistently temping 200F - even though it wasn't that hot of a day really - and struggling to make runtime with 5000mah 40C's still in good shape. Not sure I like it tbh 15/44 is probably the sweet spot for that track.

it is really weird as when I bought that mill I expected to be able to gear it up to leverage its theoretically better efficiency vs. the cheaper HW-made leo's, but I can't find its sweet spot really. As I have a big race coming up in 10ds anyway I decided to give the car a full rebuild, maybe I'll find a bad bearing or something...

Wilco - thanks for the help,
Paul
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jha07
Where is your Throttle Min set at?
Try setting it to 1.
Thanks for the suggestion however, after setting this to 1 it seems the same with the exception that I have to pull the trigger a little further before it goes. I am open to any suggestions from this point
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the suggestion however, after setting this to 1 it seems the same with the exception that I have to pull the trigger a little further before it goes. I am open to any suggestions from this point

It may be as simple as recalibrating your
Old 08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Race Everything
It may be as simple as recalibrating your
Thanks for the reply
I have recalibrated the radio to the speedo several times
Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does it go from completely stopped to full throttle?
I've upgraded two RX8 and can literally drive at a snails pace if I wanted to.
Did you play around with your throttle curve? Is it linear?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jha07
Does it go from completely stopped to full throttle?
I've upgraded two RX8 and can literally drive at a snails pace if I wanted to.
Did you play around with your throttle curve? Is it linear?
I would say probably 1/3 of the throttle from dead stop. It defiantly did not do it before. It was very smooth. It is literally violent on the drive system and un raceable like this in our indoor track. My Son has a Kyosho Ultima SC with a RS Pro and 8.5 motor and I upgraded it from 212 to 223. There is no noticeable difference. I am wondering if this is isolated to actual 8th scale 550 motors due to the torque they have. The throttle curve is straight. I included pictures of the setup.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-curve.jpg   Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-dashboard.jpg   Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-setup.jpg   Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-throtle.jpg   Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-timing.jpg  

Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Take the neutral width down to a 5.

58 is way to big. ThAts why you have to pull the trigger so far before it starts moving.

If that doesn't work then try going back tO the 212 software.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hope you guys can help
I have a RX8 3 hole. The speedo was working fine and I just wanted to turn the brake up slightly.I used hotwire to do it and I realized there was a software update from 212 to 223 so I proceeded with it before making the adjustment. After performing the update and making the adjustment, I recalibrated my esc to the radio. I did a quick test in the house and noticed its like a on and off switch. I played with the timing turning it all the way down, lowered the profile to 1 with no change. As soon as I barley touch the throttle, it takes off aggressively. I tried to revert back to version 212 and after it completes, the esc is does not light up or make arming tones however the transponder is blinking so the bec seems to be working. I reverted back to 223 and everything comes back up. I called Tekin and the man basically said 223 may behave that way to try a current limiter or try reverting back making sure not to uplug it prematurely. I tried 3 more times to revert back with the same dead to the world results. I went back to 223 again and set a current limiter with no better results. I have a big race this Saturday and I am desperate for ideas.
Thanks in advance
Do a factory reset on the unit. This will remove any old memory locations that may be affecting operation.

Once done, radio cal and test. Is regular throttle restored?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Randy and all,

I tried 16/44 yesterday, consistently temping 200F - even though it wasn't that hot of a day really - and struggling to make runtime with 5000mah 40C's still in good shape. Not sure I like it tbh 15/44 is probably the sweet spot for that track.

it is really weird as when I bought that mill I expected to be able to gear it up to leverage its theoretically better efficiency vs. the cheaper HW-made leo's, but I can't find its sweet spot really. As I have a big race coming up in 10ds anyway I decided to give the car a full rebuild, maybe I'll find a bad bearing or something...

Wilco - thanks for the help,
Paul
15/44 isn't a bad gearing setup. Again I do my gearing based off of these factors in order: Lap times, temp, run time.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Do a factory reset on the unit. This will remove any old memory locations that may be affecting operation.

Once done, radio cal and test. Is regular throttle restored?
Thanks for the reply Randy
I have performed a factory reset and did not program anything other than recalibrating my radio with the same results.
Although I finished the main last Saturday with no problems. I have seen at least 1 RX8 burn up every 2 weeks at our track and have been through 2 myself but all of them either just stop working all together or go up in flames/smoke. I have never personally seen one go down this way but I am starting to lean more towards it being fried.

Originally Posted by jhautz
Take the neutral width down to a 5.

58 is way to big. ThAts why you have to pull the trigger so far before it starts moving.

If that doesn't work then try going back tO the 212 software.
Thanks jhautz
I would love to return to 212 but if you read my previous post I was unable to do so because after reverting back, the esc was dead to the world. Acording to tech support there is something wrong when I downloaded but I have since redownloaded on a different PC with the same results. The throttle is actually sensitive but 58 was default and I am defiantly going to try it at 5. I will post back the results
Thank you all for the help so far
Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The esc will only do what it's told to by the receiver. So to test this unplug the Rx8 from the receiver, power up, all led's should be on and flashing. Are they?

Next "test" is to swap channels in your receiver. Put the Rx8 into CH1 and use your steering to test it. Result?
Ok will try. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Team Tekin

@babydaddy Understand the Rx8 will only give the throttle it's told to, either by programming or the radio system.

Check the Min Throttle and make sure it's at 0 or no higher than 5.

If that isn't it I'd like you to plug the Rx8 into your steering channel, and use the wheel to drive the esc. Does it still react the same? Do the led's reflect that amount of throttle that you think you're getting?

If the esc is working it's not likely "burned up" at all.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

@babydaddy Understand the Rx8 will only give the throttle it's told to, either by programming or the radio system.

Check the Min Throttle and make sure it's at 0 or no higher than 5.

If that isn't it I'd like you to plug the Rx8 into your steering channel, and use the wheel to drive the esc. Does it still react the same? Do the led's reflect that amount of throttle that you think you're getting?

If the esc is working it's not likely "burned up" at all.
Thanks Randy
I currently have a Futaba and completely switched it to a Spektrum with the same results. On the radio, it is all zeroed out with no expo upon calibration. I have hooked the esc to the steering channel and it was delayed at accepting the calibration to the steering channel but it did. I barely moved the wheel and it did the same thing. I have called tech support again and asked if I could get access to 212 and the representative said he will talk to the software engineer about e-mailing it to me. I am keeping my fingers crossed for this. Ironically everyone is out of stock on 8th scale ESC’s in Cincinnati LOL so this looks to be my only shot
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-throtle.jpg  
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks Randy
I currently have a Futaba and completely switched it to a Spektrum with the same results. On the radio, it is all zeroed out with no expo upon calibration. I have hooked the esc to the steering channel and it was delayed at accepting the calibration to the steering channel but it did. I barely moved the wheel and it did the same thing. I have called tech support again and asked if I could get access to 212 and the representative said he will talk to the software engineer about e-mailing it to me. I am keeping my fingers crossed for this. Ironically everyone is out of stock on 8th scale ESC’s in Cincinnati LOL so this looks to be my only shot
Tried to email you but the email got kicked back. The 212 software that you can change to thru the 223 hotwire firmware is the exact same 212 as the firmware that was available before 223 was released. Firmware is version 5.7.3 for 212.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.