Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The Big Wig,

I don't call 40 grams heavy. That is with oil. With the BL systems we are using in mini we get wheel anyway. Once they are rolling, less wheelspin and more drive out of the corners with the added advantage of less maintenance.

Calvin.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Big Wig
Now why do U need a heavy gear diff with a front wheel driven car? The wheels will start spinnin' waaaaaaaaay before the ball diff does. In a high power touring car I can come in to that but any FF with mild motor it will only ad rotating mass.
FYI ....

TA03 ball diff .... 30 grams

Oil gear diff ...... 25 grams (the oil gear diff is a standard gear dif with a gear added ... more info coming)

So in fact the oil gear diff is lighter
Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by caltek1
The Big Wig,

I don't call 40 grams heavy. That is with oil. With the BL systems we are using in mini we get wheel anyway. Once they are rolling, less wheelspin and more drive out of the corners with the added advantage of less maintenance.

Calvin.
For maintenance I can understand but peformance wise I think ANY fwd is better of with a ball diff (as long as it lighter).

Originally Posted by cannon
FYI ....

TA03 ball diff .... 30 grams

Oil gear diff ...... 25 grams (the oil gear diff is a standard gear dif with a gear added ... more info coming)

So in fact the oil gear diff is lighter
25 With no oil. 30 For a heavy TA03 one. M05 ball diff is lighter (and smoother) but needs some work to keep its settings right.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

For maintenance I can understand but peformance wise I think ANY fwd is better of with a ball diff (as long as it lighter).

25 With no oil. 30 For a heavy TA03 one. M05 ball diff is lighter (and smoother) but needs some work to keep its settings right.
FYI .. the oil gear diff is 25g WITH OIL . The M05 ball dif is around 18g so 7 g is hardly a problem.

For all your comments have you actually run an oil gear diff in your Mini? I doubt it

Lets see .. at TITC in Thailand all the worlds best like Groskamp etc what did they use in their Minis and FWD cars ??????? ....... gear diffs because they pull better out of corners
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cannon
FYI .. the oil gear diff is 25g WITH OIL . The M05 ball dif is around 18g so 7 g is hardly a problem.

For all your comments have you actually run an oil gear diff in your Mini? I doubt it

Lets see .. at TITC in Thailand all the worlds best like Groskamp etc what did they use in their Minis and FWD cars ??????? ....... gear diffs because they pull better out of corners
7g x3 Becouse its rotational mass. Only in my M04. Jilles wanted allmost spool like action and used cleaning putty.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
The Big Wig,

Calvin.
Um mine weighed 55 grams ( moddified Durango gear diff ) at the masters Calvin, and the car was slow.

More weight in the diff makes it spool up slower (less wheel spin) and carry more momentum through the corners.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bjspinner
Um mine weighed 55 grams ( moddified Durango gear diff ) at the masters Calvin, and the car was slow.

More weight in the diff makes it spool up slower (less wheel spin) and carry more momentum through the corners.
Ok but with that theory you should use a steel pinion/outdrives/driveshafts/ect,alu wheels and so on. Look at real race cars. The ONLY time they consider using a havier part would be a flywheel on a combustion engine. Lighter is ALWAYS better. When a heavy car works better then a light car then it's the lighter one that isn't set up right.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ok but with that theory you should use a steel pinion/outdrives/driveshafts/ect,alu wheels and so on. Look at real race cars. The ONLY time they consider using a havier part would be a flywheel on a combustion engine. Lighter is ALWAYS better. When a heavy car works better then a light car then it's the lighter one that isn't set up right.
We run the Hobbtwing 13T brushless system, it has plenty of torque.

Heaps of wheel spin equates to tire wear. With control tire's that weight slows down the spool up speed (less wheel spin more tire life) and also carries speed through the corner (smoother cornering).
I have tried them all (diff's) the oil filled gear diff is by far the best that I have used.
I don't care to much about the weight, my MO5 tips the scale's at 1500+ grams and it is fast.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bjspinner
We run the Hobbtwing 13T brushless system, it has plenty of torque.

Heaps of wheel spin equates to tire wear. With control tire's that weight slows down the spool up speed (less wheel spin more tire life) and also carries speed through the corner (smoother cornering).
I have tried them all (diff's) the oil filled gear diff is by far the best that I have used.
I don't care to much about the weight, my MO5 tips the scale's at 1500+ grams and it is fast.
I get U. But U probably wack the throttle to much. Very tempting in an FWD becouse U won't spin out.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Bruce,

I have to agree with you. I am using a modified 3Racing oil gear diff with 500 000 wt oil which gives me a diff which works very well.

I tested it today on a semi tight track and the car is working really well. I will be monitoring its durability, however with graphite gears from a nitro car oil gear diff and nitro diff outdrives I'm sure it will last. All of the guy's who have a oil gear diff fitted to there mini seem to like them.

I still have the TAO3 ball diff in one car that I use regularly. Today I ran against two of the faster mini drivers and I can keep up with them, so the diff is working well. Now it is car, tyre and driver setup.

Bruce will contact you later.

BTW,

Don't take to much out of this as my mini is kinda slow. LOL

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Just thought I'd post an update on my struggles with my evil M05M. It had resisted all my efforts and the suggestions on this thread and a number given to me in PMs. That damned evil piece of S--- behaved the same way no matter what we did to it short of total destruction.

A fellow racer, Kevin Nino, whose M05M is excellent, took that evil monster home with him and went thru it. He returned to me, a car that was very, very good. I like to run very little droop in the shocks cause that's what my M03 M&L seem to like. Kevin increased the droop about 1.5 to 2mm over what I had and we had us a new car. He says that was about the only change required. I now have a car that responds predictably to spring changes, drives in a straight line, doesn't pull one way then another under acceleration. I forgot. he raised rhe front ride height a mm over what it was before. I've taken to calling Kevin the exorcist.

In some ways, I envy my Australian friends and others, who have the benefit of using different tire and insert combinations. But, tire changes may have made the car driveable and I then would still have a car in need of an exorcism. I'm changing my position on the Spec tire and think it's not a bad idea. Not trying to start anything here, just saying I like the one we're using.

I guess the new B compound tire aren't selling cause the rumor mill has been floating the possibility of a new Spec tire for TCS in the USA. I'd heard that was for next year. Don't know if it is an addition to one we have now, or a replacement.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me where I can order the tamiya aluminum steering set up and front damper stay in the USA? I can find the steering set up on ebay, but not the other.

Thanks
chris
Old 04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gruman28
Can anyone tell me where I can order the tamiya aluminum steering set up and front damper stay in the USA? I can find the steering set up on ebay, but not the other.

Thanks
chris
Try Speed Tech. Decent prices and good service
Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

thanks, they even have TOP parts.

Chris
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Current M-05

Tamiya mini cooper-210569_1920643985439_1522257956_32131496_6877699_o.jpg

Tamiya mini cooper-201991_1920633505177_1522257956_32131493_5211661_o.jpg

Tamiya mini cooper-201298_1930161943382_1522257956_32146908_4076312_o.jpg

Mini Forever......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.