Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

The renault with the black wheels clearly was the best looking f1 car of the group. The winning car was well done but just not my taste, as for the the blue fade car whats with the cut lines on that nose, that looks terrible!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by eff one
The renault with the black wheels clearly was the best looking f1 car of the group. The winning car was well done but just not my taste, as for the the blue fade car whats with the cut lines on that nose, that looks terrible!
For that matter, where IS the nose on that car? Looks to be missing to me!

He probably came in second place! lol

Seriously though, some years ago a group of us were racing F1 cars at a regional event, along with several other different classes, and they held a concours judging; and the winning car in the F1 class was some guys odd-ball one-off paint scheme that didn't look anything like what you would find on an F1 car; yet guys with beautifully detailed F1 cars with McLaren and Willaims and Ferrari bodies didn't even get a mention. The reason for this travesty was that the judges were just local people who worked at the facility where the races were held(an armory), and they of course wouldn't know an F1 car from a Yugo. Wrong people to pick as judges of concours!!

I suspect that is what happened with the event shown on this thread. Think about the guys who tried to respect the spirit of the F1 class by taking considerable time and effort to make their cars as real as possible(witness the aforementioned Lotus with the black wheels); and some guy who did a great paint job but didn't respect the spirit of the F1 class wins. Imagine how the rest must have felt!! Not fair, and it sends the wrong message!!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Im with you there, now dont get me started about f1 cars running on carpet, that would never happen in real life
Old 03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As an FYI, judging of the concourse was done by ROAR officials.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is another example of why ROAR has no business trying to run any sort of F1 class!! They obviously don't "get" F1 !!!! They should stick to their touring cars with the "blob" bodies and neon paint schemes, and neon green dish wheels, and leave F1 to the people who know how to run it!!

I don't know why anyone still bothers with ROAR anymore!!

Last edited by Team Lotus; 03-18-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
ROAR = Really?-Only-At-ROAR
Nah, I have no clue what goes on at ROAR.
At least they are gettin guys out there and racing F1s at a high level.
Cuda, I do. You can always ask me.

To some of the other comments that appear here - As an avid F1 fan for nearly 30 years, I would have leaned towards the more scale appearing cars, especially as a class that has a current full-size counterpart. But, I will never second-guess or criticize anyone for their choice as a judge because it's subjective. Words like "stupid" and "travesty" have NO PLACE in this discussion. It would probably be best to keep this in context, recognize that there were a lot of sharp looking cars that could have won. I know that concourse judging is just one of those blistering hot, emotional topics, but I hope everyone can find the strength to accept it and just move on...
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveP
Cuda, I do. You can always ask me.

To some of the other comments that appear here - As an avid F1 fan for nearly 30 years, I would have leaned towards the more scale appearing cars, especially as a class that has a current full-size counterpart. But, I will never second-guess or criticize anyone for their choice as a judge because it's subjective. Words like "stupid" and "travesty" have NO PLACE in this discussion. It would probably be best to keep this in context, recognize that there were a lot of sharp looking cars that could have won. I know that concourse judging is just one of those blistering hot, emotional topics, but I hope everyone can find the strength to accept it and just move on...
Do you work for ROAR?

I did not use the word "stupid", but I did use the word "travesty", and I don't take it back! all I'm trying to do is keep F1 "pure", and not let it become another touring car type class. Touring cars used to look like real cars with realistic liveries, and scale type wheels, AND reasonable costs. Now they have "blob" bodies that don't resemble any real car and wild neon paint schemes with flames and skulls, etc. And the scale wheels are gone and replaced with neon green or yellow dish wheels and shaved foams. I don't want to see F1 go lose itself and go down that path; and when you excuse ROAR or anyone else for that matter for violating the spirit of the F1 class whether it be paint and livery schemes, or allowing WGT pan car front ends and wheels with shaved foams, etc., then you are giving permission to the "win at all cost, I don't give a hoot about scale" people to take over and ruin F1 the way they ruined touring cars and darn near killed on-road racing in general!!!

Oh yeah, by the way, I've been an avid F1 fan for over 47 years, all the way back to the '60s
Old 03-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Do you work for ROAR?
Team Lotus, Steve Pond is the president of ROAR.

And I agree with you along with many other on road racers ROAR was originally based on "scale" racing, however ROAR let the manufactures have their way years ago and it has basically ruined on road racing. F1 is one of the last frontiers of scale racing left.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=HawaiiBob;10484473]Team Lotus, Steve Pond is the president of ROAR.

I knew it!!! That just figures!!! He is just like a politician trying to cover for his party's screw-ups. ROAR seems to think they are "all-mighty" in the rc world.
They need to get the heck out of F1 !!! Let guys like Charles Lightfoot and the UF1 series run F1 rc racing; they "get" F1, unlike ROAR!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveP
Words like "stupid" and "travesty" have NO PLACE in this discussion.
Notice how the ROAR president is trying to dictate to everyone on this forum as to what is acceptable?!! As I said previously, ROAR thinks it's all-mighty in the rc world, and that the rest of us peons need to do as they say or else!! He and ROAR didn't start this thread or this whole forum for that matter; where do they think they get off telling us what is acceptable?!!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Notice how the ROAR president is trying to dictate to everyone on this forum as to what is acceptable?!! As I said previously, ROAR thinks it's all-mighty in the rc world, and that the rest of us peons need to do as they say or else!! He and ROAR didn't start this thread or this whole forum for that matter; where do they think they get off telling us what is acceptable?!!
Well SteveP said accept it and move on.
It's unfortunate that most have as far as Roar races are concerned

Much ado about nothing.
A pretty in Pink/Purple car won a bowling trophy.

F1 guys see the Lotus as winning, and I'm sure that's good enough for the guy that put in the time on his kit
Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Well SteveP said accept it and move on
I won't accept it and move on just because ROAR says so!! I won't drink their "koolaide" either! Don't you get it RedBull?, that's exactly what they want us to do: just accept it and move on, so that they,ROAR, can continue to do business as usual. In other words they are telling me and others to shut up and not tell the truth, unless of course it's the ROAR approved version of the truth!! Not happening! You are just condoning what ROAR says and does by your statements.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I had a car entered in the concourse (Lotus, gold wheels), and I must say that I was disappointed. I think if people actually had any idea how much work goes into F1 bodies, the judging would be different. We all know that you have to "build" an F1 body! Paint and decals could be it's own thread. But what are you gonna do? We know who should've won, but we can't let this discourage us from bringing realism back to R/C. F1 got it's foot back in the door nationally, now all we need to do is keep pushing forward. "R/C F1, keep it Real!" <----My new motto! (patent pending )
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

i have raced f1 cars since 94 and never once stepped into a hobby shop to do so, and or used there rules. We have always kept it in line with f1 as far as circuits, points, teams etc. I loved f1 growing up and when i saw the first f101 and f102 i have never looked back. I guess my point is that for some people and myself included scale is alot more fun!
Team Lotus i love your passion, i think you would fit right in with our championship
Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
F1 guys see the Lotus as winning, and I'm sure that's good enough for the guy that put in the time on his kit
Agreed...the Lotus should have won that. The winner's car is very nice and definitely good work...but a close look at the pic of the Lotus and to me it looks like the gold stripes are painted and not sticker...as someone who does a bit of airbrushing myself the stripes on that Lotus I would have a harder time doing then the fades...especially up around the airbox area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.