Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I had a similar front end like the one pictured at IIC. Not as 'optimized' for rubber tire. For foam it was great. Basically took the front end from a CRC car. Got smoked. Agree that offering a variety of different front ends would be ideal.

Not everything needs a t-bar!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

A friend of mine and I were discussing F1 tires and TC tires at the race this past weekend...during which we discussed that TC tires have the air gap between the tire and the insert to help give the tire more grip...but in F1 we don't have molded inserts yet so the insert fills the tire itself and the air gap is between the insert and the rim. Has anyone yet tried to either cut up a TC molded insert or maybe shortened the stock insert so that the air gap is between the tire and the insert?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

All I'm wondering is: Where is my "optimized" Luxurious F1 from Xray?

No seriously, why don't they produce one? I'd pay the big bucks for Xray quality.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 03-12-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Why does a couple of prototype TOP F1s start the decline? If it's because they aren't race legal then the decline started before the class took off thanks to the release of the Corally F1. Amazingly that had no effect on the class.

The 3Racing FGX had a bigger chance of causing a 'decline' in the class than the TOP cars. In a lot of countries the independent rear suspension isn't legal so they have made no difference to numbers, in the US it is legal in many places and it's brought in extra racers.

TOP have pointed out that they are just early prototypes, if the production versions of the TOP cars keep the WorldGT front ends then they are going to be illegal in many places, just like the FGX is illegal, and greatly reduce the market for them.
In its current form it is legal for use in US races, but to make sure TOP makes a proper F1 front end all you have to do is add a one rule. Here in the UK the BRCA rules include a rule that all suspension pick up points must be mounted inside the body, making pan car front ends illegal.

The photos are of the development cars, obviously using parts they currently use on their other cars, to test them. I would say any criticism of TOP should wait until we see what the actual production cars are like.
+1 here especially about the FGX. In the long term the FGX will be the killer of F1. If the TOP F1 comes out with a scale looking front end then all good (or has mounting points for one).
Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Why does a couple of prototype TOP F1s start the decline? If it's because they aren't race legal then the decline started before the class took off thanks to the release of the Corally F1. Amazingly that had no effect on the class.

The 3Racing FGX had a bigger chance of causing a 'decline' in the class than the TOP cars. In a lot of countries the independent rear suspension isn't legal so they have made no difference to numbers, in the US it is legal in many places and it's brought in extra racers.

TOP have pointed out that they are just early prototypes, if the production versions of the TOP cars keep the WorldGT front ends then they are going to be illegal in many places, just like the FGX is illegal, and greatly reduce the market for them.
In its current form it is legal for use in US races, but to make sure TOP makes a proper F1 front end all you have to do is add a one rule. Here in the UK the BRCA rules include a rule that all suspension pick up points must be mounted inside the body, making pan car front ends illegal.

The photos are of the development cars, obviously using parts they currently use on their other cars, to test them. I would say any criticism of TOP should wait until we see what the actual production cars are like.
I agree. Don't flame them until we see what really hits the streets.

The FGX is causing a ground swell of grassroots F1 racing along with the upgraded F104s in the US. USF1 and the Houston racing movement are a testament to that. There are also some other things starting to bubble in Georgia, Ohio and Illinois based on that rule set. Between the F104s going faster and the FGX getting some immediate aftermarket support, both are coexisting peacefully on the race track and any car can win at a given race depending on the driver. I think the biggest problem with RC F1 is Tamiya constantly releasing, re-releasing and discontinuing their cars. They do have the best looking bodies and wings, but try to find an F104 Pro kit or a Ferrari body set. It really is hit or miss with them. I can find a TC blob on any hobby store rack.

I think the lack of product support is what kills F1 every time it starts getting traction. I had to stop running my F103 simply because I had no front wings for it.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the only thing that will kill F1 is us.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
+1
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

well said
Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I think the biggest problem with RC F1 is Tamiya constantly releasing, re-releasing and discontinuing their cars. They do have the best looking bodies and wings, but try to find an F104 Pro kit or a Ferrari body set. It really is hit or miss with them. I can find a TC blob on any hobby store rack.

I think the lack of product support is what kills F1 every time it starts getting traction. I had to stop running my F103 simply because I had no front wings for it.
F104 pro und F60 Body sets are in stock at rcmart or in german shops. I know the shipping its quite expensive, but it even with 40$ for shipping a bigger order is cheaper than in germany.
F103 wings are available because of the F104 W-kits and if you don't race in Tamiya cups you can use lots of after market wings by TRG, Tech racing etc.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

FGX may be adding racers, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that they went to 190mm when everyone else was at 180mm. What disturbs me is that a racing series will ban 200mm (moving them to another class), yet make an exception to the 190mm to accommodate for ONE chassis. My personal opinion at this point is for open chassis, 180-200mm. Let the racers sort out what is fastest. And As The Big Wig (aka Barry White) said on another thread, F1 should remain direct drive, pan car only.

TOP have pointed out that they are just early prototypes, if the production versions of the TOP cars keep the WorldGT front ends then they are going to be illegal in many places, just like the FGX is illegal, and greatly reduce the market for them.....The photos are of the development cars, obviously using parts they currently use on their other cars, to test them. I would say any criticism of TOP should wait until we see what the actual production cars are like.

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
A friend of mine and I were discussing F1 tires and TC tires at the race this past weekend...during which we discussed that TC tires have the air gap between the tire and the insert to help give the tire more grip...but in F1 we don't have molded inserts yet so the insert fills the tire itself and the air gap is between the insert and the rim. Has anyone yet tried to either cut up a TC molded insert or maybe shortened the stock insert so that the air gap is between the tire and the insert?
Never tried, but I'm waiting for a tire company like Sweep to produce a tire like the TC tires. A rain tire would also be awesome, much like the hard to find Proline F1 tires.

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
. If the TOP F1 comes out with a scale looking front end then all good (or has mounting points for one).

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I think the biggest problem with RC F1 is Tamiya constantly releasing, re-releasing and discontinuing their cars. They do have the best looking bodies and wings, but try to find an F104 Pro kit or a Ferrari body set. It really is hit or miss with them. I can find a TC blob on any hobby store rack.

Sadly, Tamiya ALWAYS does this, they bring out a kit, then discontinue after a certain amount of time. After decades of buying Tamiya kits, I've found that you need to buy the kit, buy all the hopups and extra bodies shortly thereafter. Do not wait, or you'll be ordering from Hong Kong for parts.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Direct drive or pan car only?

Hey what's this advancement in technology thing all about? I love my rotary dial phone and my three on the tree transmission shifter.

Seriously if you want f1 to grow you have to allow for new and different technologies. One day we will all look back talking about all of the direct drive cars we used to have.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Seriously if you want f1 to grow you have to allow for new and different technologies. One day we will all look back talking about all of the direct drive cars we used to have.
If that's the case, why didn't Tamiya make a F202? Why return to direct drive pan car if the f201 was an advancement in technology? They could have easily gotten rid of the 4wd, and made the F20_ chassis into a 2wd, front and rear pushrod suspended vehicle.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by muesli
F104 pro und F60 Body sets are in stock at rcmart or in german shops. I know the shipping its quite expensive, but it even with 40$ for shipping a bigger order is cheaper than in germany.
F103 wings are available because of the F104 W-kits and if you don't race in Tamiya cups you can use lots of after market wings by TRG, Tech racing etc.
I did grab 4 MP4/6 front wings when they released the F104X. I'm still on my first one and the F103 is running again. I've had really bad luck with the TRG Advance front wing. I believe they are made of dried cheese. I have 2 formerly TCS legal F103RMs on the shelf with the M body. I have a couple spare body sets for those, but they are unpainted shelf queens since the F103 was dropped from TCS.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
If that's the case, why didn't Tamiya make a F202? Why return to direct drive pan car if the f201 was an advancement in technology? They could have easily gotten rid of the 4wd, and made the F20_ chassis into a 2wd, front and rear pushrod suspended vehicle.
The mistake with the F201 was the 4 wheel drive. I was turned off because there are no real 4WD F1 cars, so I didn't support it at all. I wouldn't mind seeing the F201 revised to 2 wheel drive and brought back with a different front end on it. With the new 2012 body style in F1, that might be a good point of release for this year in RC for Tamiya.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Us . . .or Bernie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.