Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2898Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveP
....No, this is my favorite type of class, and I'd want to keep it JUST LIKE IT IS. ;o)
Pan car drivetrain only then?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I hate it when someone picks a fight and its ends up in mature discussion.

And now, for something completely different...

I think from the perspective of ROAR just having the F1 class at the event was a huge win. Immediate publicity for our class. It's a shame the concours segment wasn't known about earlier. Next time!

ROAR, Thank you for having F1 at YOUR event.
+1
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
Pan car drivetrain only then?
Would I personally like to have independent rear suspension? Yes. It can handle better and it's closer to that of the real cars. However, as ROAR President, who is someone that should ostensibly be concerned about the expense, complexity and preserving that which made the class popular in the first place, I would vote against it... I'm so conflicted. ;o)

I had the K's F1 car from Japan. Awesome machine that pushes every "cool" button in my brain, but definitely too costly and upsetting to the class. So, I would have to say no to independent rear suspension, which is where I'm sure you were headed with this... correct? Keep in mind we're just sharing opinions.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Would I personally like to have independent rear suspension? Yes. It can handle better and it's closer to that of the real cars. However, as ROAR President, who is someone that should ostensibly be concerned about the expense, complexity and preserving that which made the class popular in the first place, I would vote against it... I'm so conflicted. ;o)

I had the K's F1 car from Japan. Awesome machine that pushes every "cool" button in my brain, but definitely too costly and upsetting to the class. So, I would have to say no to independent rear suspension, which is where I'm sure you were headed with this... correct? Keep in mind we're just sharing opinions.
Not to be a fly in the ointment, but the lowest base cost F1 car on the market is the FGX.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

It was, yes. For me, keeping the formula simple, as is, is better for the class.

Since we have your attention: What's your thought on the issue of width? In other words, 180, 190 or 200?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Not to be a fly in the ointment, but the lowest base cost F1 car on the market is the FGX.
true...but the standard (non pro or limited edition) F104 is in the $150-$170 range.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=483
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

It was, yes. For me, keeping the formula simple, as is, is better for the class.

Since we have your attention: What's your thought on the issue of width? In other words, 180, 190 or 200?
How is the class looking in Japan right now? What rules are the clubs there maintaining? I saw some very nice racing videos, but not sure if they were current. Most of the cars looked be F103 vintage with foam tires.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Champion

true...but the standard (non pro or limited edition) F104 is in the $150-$170 range.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=483
Good find! I should probably get one just because. I thought about modifying one of my F103s to an Exotek F1R for racing. Honestly, when the class rules locally tell me that my car needs to be a certain type, I will bend and conform. Right now, I'm happy with my 21.5, no timing ESC and tall rubber tires. I race the clock and hopefully will take yet another .1 off my average lap next week. If anyone wants to join me, I'll be in Springfield, OH.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

Well with our championship coming up this weekend and my current set of tires for my F1R being all ripped up from the sharp edges of the rim...I decided to glue up a new set of tires...but I am trying a couple of things differently. First, as I mentioned earlier, I've noticed TC tires now have their air gap between the tire and the insert not the insert and the rim, so I'm trying the rear F1 tire that way. I shortened the insert so that it is just long enough to fit over the rim and glued the ends together. I can't do that on the fronts because the insert fills the whole tires so this will just be for the rears. I'm hoping this will give more grip and more consistent grip to the rear. Next I am trying a different glue...I'm tired of how messy that CA is when gluing tires and I always seem to mess things up. Also it never seems to hold as well as I'd like so I end up having to reglue tires often which makes them more and more ugly. Now I've been running pan cars now for almost 2 decades and in the early days when I was trying to race and be a starving student I got accustomed to mounting my own tires...I point this out because it means I am not adverse to take a few days to complete a set of tires. So what I've used instead of CA is JB Weld. This is so much easier to make sure I get a complete bond around the tire and way easier to clean up any overages...and it has been holding the back latch on my hatch back on for a couple of years and still feels stronger than it was factory. I've heard that it bonds very well to rubber so I decided to give it a try. So far I have the outside edge of the tire bonded and drying overnight. Tomorrow I will bond the inside edge. So far I am very pleased with the results. The real test will come this Sunday at our next race to see how well the bond holds up. Keeping my fingers crossed for Sunday!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How is the class looking in Japan right now? What rules are the clubs there maintaining? I saw some very nice racing videos, but not sure if they were current. Most of the cars looked be F103 vintage with foam tires.
I am interested in where you run as there are not really that much F1 racing in Tokyo. I would be interested and stopping by to run depending on where its at.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default ROAR Nationals and Beyond

What a great carpet season for F1!

Starting with the IIC in Vegas, then Cleveland, and now at the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals. This is a huge step in the right direction.

I hope common ground can be found soon between ROAR, IIC, UF1, and any and all race promoters and clubs. The sooner we establish a standard set of rules the better for racers and manufacturers. As the recent TOP and Serpent Prototypes show, manufacturers (including myself) are struggling as to which direction they need to go.

I personally have started working on a complete car design. The problem is I am not sure which design parameters I can or should use. (IRS or solid, 180 or 190). The last thing I want to do is spend time and money developing a car that will immediately be illegal in some of the major races.

I do not share the view that IRS will lead to insane prices for cars. An IRS car with a floating king pin front suspension would probably be in the ball park of $300 or less from TOP, Associated, etc. A fully loaded TC6.1 is $399 and you can get them for as low $350. Now from $399 subtract 2 shocks, front diff, front bulkheads, and the center belt. The current F104 Pro X1 is $280 with horrible parts availability.

I will accept whatever is decided as long as realism is the primary focus. NO 1/12TH SCALE FRONT SUSPENSION ARMS!

I look forward to an amazing F1 Asphalt season and another chance to see if the FGX or the F104 comes out ahead.

Troy

Last edited by Troy Mckune; 03-19-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the comments and in agreement completely. The problem is not so much that the FGX is going to ruin the class as it comes out of the box, but where could this independent rear suspension lead to in the future (and already with other people making chassis for it). Imagine if Xray or other big brands put a decent effort into an IRS F1 car. F1 is supposed to be a simple, cheap, excellent looking class.

Mike
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Thanks for the comments and in agreement completely. The problem is not so much that the FGX is going to ruin the class as it comes out of the box, but where could this independent rear suspension lead to in the future (and already with other people making chassis for it). Imagine if Xray or other big brands put a decent effort into an IRS F1 car. F1 is supposed to be a simple, cheap, excellent looking class.

Mike
why should people be so afraid of the fgx? it is not any faster than other car
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
why should people be so afraid of the fgx? it is not any faster than other car
Im not afraid and I am one of the few people that have raced against the first IRS cars out there before the FGX came along. Just paint it in F1 colors and there isnt any problem in my book.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
What a great carpet season for F1!

Starting with the IIC in Vegas, then Cleveland, and now at the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals. This is a huge step in the right direction.

I hope common ground can be found soon between ROAR, IIC, UF1, and any and all race promoters and clubs. The sooner we establish a standard set of rules the better for racers and manufacturers. As the recent TOP and Serpent Prototypes show, manufacturers (including myself) are struggling as to which direction they need to go.

I personally have started working on a complete car design. The problem is I am not sure which design parameters I can or should use. (IRS or solid, 180 or 190). The last thing I want to do is spend time and money developing a car that will immediately be illegal in some of the major races.

I do not share the view that IRS will lead to insane prices for cars. An IRS car with a floating king pin front suspension would probably be in the ball park of $300 or less from TOP, Associated, etc. A fully loaded TC6.1 is $399 and you can get them for as low $350. Now from $399 subtract 2 shocks, front diff, front bulkheads, and the center belt. The current F104 Pro X1 is $280 with horrible parts availability.

I will accept whatever is decided as long as realism is the primary focus. NO 1/12TH SCALE FRONT SUSPENSION ARMS!

I look forward to an amazing F1 Asphalt season and another chance to see if the FGX or the F104 comes out ahead.

Troy
The funny thing is you can get a F103 for around $100 and smoke all of the 190mm cars anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.