Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2899Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Initiate

F1 looks like fun
Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdtkg
F1 looks like fun
Yup.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Do you guys think that it would be beneficial to have a 3-axis accelerometer and gyroscope to help with set up of our cars? I was thinking it could help determine traction circle, accelerative forces (lateral and vertical G's), etc. so that we can best determine tires, stiffeners, droop, shock, etc. set up. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?
If it had enough volume of data maybe. There was a guy who used to race who posted on rctech before about some of the rc data acquisition units who said they don't really have enough data to be able to make those decisions any better than the try it and see tuners. He used to work in data acquisition for one of the big 3 car makers IIRC.

EDIT: here's the posts
http://www.rctech.net/forum/5634885-post13.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5639693-post15.html

Last edited by robk; 06-25-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Do you guys think that it would be beneficial to have a 3-axis accelerometer and gyroscope to help with set up of our cars? I was thinking it could help determine traction circle, accelerative forces (lateral and vertical G's), etc. so that we can best determine tires, stiffeners, droop, shock, etc. set up. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?
If we thought it was beneficial we would all have a Novak Sentry data logger. If you want to try it as a personal project then go ahead and do it, just don't expect to make a viable business from it.

I think actual feel of the car on the track is more important than actual data. In most classes for tyre choice it's usually obvious which tyre is the best choice, either by how planted the car feels or by lap times.
Suspension tuning is easily learnt. Pulling your car in, making one change and then running it will tell you what that tweak does very quickly, rather than pulling in, downloading the data then analysing it. In both cases you need to build up the experience to understand what each changes do so it isn't as if the data says this, then you make that change.

Although to be honest most people these days don't even bother learning how to tune their cars, they just ask online what settings to use or copy setups from the manufacturers website. Then they come back online to ask what to change when the setup doesn't quite work on their track, rather than actually tuning their setup.

I can't see data logging having any use to me, but I have found videoing the cars from the side of the track with a static camera that videos at 2x speed pointing at the corner to see how cars take it, rather than following the cars, and watching it back was very useful to work out what is happening.
For example at my track, which is indoors on carpet it was interesting to note that the fastest cars spent most of their time sliding across the track, even on the high speed corners, rather than gripping the track.
Also strapping a camera to the car and videoing what the suspension and chassis are doing rather than the track ahead was also pretty useful to add to your setup knowledge.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
If we thought it was beneficial we would all have a Novak Sentry data logger. If you want to try it as a personal project then go ahead and do it, just don't expect to make a viable business from it.

I think actual feel of the car on the track is more important than actual data. In most classes for tyre choice it's usually obvious which tyre is the best choice, either by how planted the car feels or by lap times.
Suspension tuning is easily learnt. Pulling your car in, making one change and then running it will tell you what that tweak does very quickly, rather than pulling in, downloading the data then analysing it. In both cases you need to build up the experience to understand what each changes do so it isn't as if the data says this, then you make that change.

Although to be honest most people these days don't even bother learning how to tune their cars, they just ask online what settings to use or copy setups from the manufacturers website. Then they come back online to ask what to change when the setup doesn't quite work on their track, rather than actually tuning their setup.

I can't see data logging having any use to me, but I have found videoing the cars from the side of the track with a static camera that videos at 2x speed pointing at the corner to see how cars take it, rather than following the cars, and watching it back was very useful to work out what is happening.
For example at my track, which is indoors on carpet it was interesting to note that the fastest cars spent most of their time sliding across the track, even on the high speed corners, rather than gripping the track.
Also strapping a camera to the car and videoing what the suspension and chassis are doing rather than the track ahead was also pretty useful to add to your setup knowledge.
I ran the Novak sentry in my TB03 and it actually gives quite a bit of data. But, you have to have a definite starting pointso you know where your lap begins, to be able to do lap to lap comparisons. Also to put the data into a format that is easy to go through is a bit of a hassle, and being able to understand what you are looking at can be tricky as well. It was good to see top end, motor temps and to understand how gearing changes affected the car. It would be a bit of a trick to package it in an F1 chassis though
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Just a quick question- did the most basic F201 come with full ball bearings?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Just a quick question- did the most basic F201 come with full ball bearings?
Yes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shano83
Hey where abouts did you get the west sticker set from?
I been looking for them everywhere!

Thw West decal were in the Mclearen F-103 kit. I gave up looking for another set along time ago.lol Thanks for the props fellas. I have a few cars if you wanna see em let me know.Not as good of pics as these but still pics of F-1's.l8r,w.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

What are the speed controllers of choice for this class for 21.5, I have two the Orion r10 pro & the lrp sxx tc ver 2 but do you use either one one of these being as though your not running mod
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

hey guys - dunno how many of you buy from D-Drive, but I got this in my email today

D-Drive Sports (d-drivesportsenglish.com) 3:02 AM to me

Hello
Decal Island has stopped making Decals,what we have in stock now is the
last of the decals we will be able to get.
So don`t delay,if there is something from the stock we have left you should
get it now before its gone.

Its not all bad news though. F1 Paint lab does have some nice decals. You
should browse his decals if you can`t find what we have left in our very
limited stock/

http://f1paintlab.com/zencart/

Thank you
at least BP is getting a plug
Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosfan
What are the speed controllers of choice for this class for 21.5, I have two the Orion r10 pro & the lrp sxx tc ver 2 but do you use either one one of these being as though your not running mod
as long as you can put it in blinky mode (and you're local track allows it), both are fine...get yourself a shortly lipo, and you can mount everything straight down the center of the chassis

depends on the series/rules you follow - I know neither is allowed for the US TCS series..

I, personally, run a tekinRS in mine
Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the Tamiya F104 front/rear wing set will fit the 3racing F109??
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tracy B
Does anyone know if the Tamiya F104 front/rear wing set will fit the 3racing F109??
It will...but the suspension is wider than the F104 so it will look a little odd unless you convert the car to F104 width.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
It will...but the suspension is wider than the F104 so it will look a little odd unless you convert the car to F104 width.
I plan on doing that to begin with. When I purchased my F109 from a fellow club racer it came with 2 complete chassis setups. I plan on using one for my club's oval racing (carpet and banked asphalt tri-oval) & converting the other to run in the Formula RC club in Green Bay, WI where I need the f104 front suspension, wheels/tires and wings.

Will the f104 body fit the f109??

I know the front uprights/axles on the f103/109 & f104 are the same part number (at least according to the manuals), but the front wheels have different bearing diameters, 5x8 for f103/109 & 5x10 for f104. I tried fitting a set of f104 front wheels on my f109 and had some slop since the two wheels use different size bearings. The rears fit nor problem, so not an issue.
Since the uprights/axles are the same, how does one fit the f104 tires on a
f109??
Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tracy B
I plan on doing that to begin with. When I purchased my F109 from a fellow club racer it came with 2 complete chassis setups. I plan on using one for my club's oval racing (carpet and banked asphalt tri-oval) & converting the other to run in the Formula RC club in Green Bay, WI where I need the f104 front suspension, wheels/tires and wings.

Will the f104 body fit the f109??

I know the front uprights/axles on the f103/109 & f104 are the same part number (at least according to the manuals), but the front wheels have different bearing diameters, 5x8 for f103/109 & 5x10 for f104. I tried fitting a set of f104 front wheels on my f109 and had some slop since the two wheels use different size bearings. The rears fit nor problem, so not an issue.
Since the uprights/axles are the same, how does one fit the f104 tires on a
f109??
F104 bodies do fit a f109.

Just use 5x10 bearings with the axles and f104 wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.