Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looking for a little help and insight on how many cars to run on a small indoor carpet track. As the USVTA class has grown at my local track, this is going to become an issue. 8 cars of varying skill level is about all my "home" track really can handle on a club night. We also have to factor in turn-marshals.

Here are some thoughts since we run Friday nights and time is a factor.
- Lower mains run 5 minutes with bump ups to higher main (winner or top 2)

- Lock top 6 racers in A-main based on qualifying and let the rest of the field battle it out for the remaining 2 spots in the B-main.

- Figure out a formula for A-main size based on total entries. For example:
8 or less cars - all run in A-main
09-12 : 6 cars in A-main (possible bump ups?)
13-16 : 7 or 8 cars in A-main set by qualifying (1 bump up?)
17+ : 3 or more mains (I hope we can get this much interest locally!)

I'm interested to hear how others have handled this type of situation in the past. Unfortunately with a smaller track and healthy turn-outs, not everyone can be in the A-main. I just want to make sure everyone goes home having a good time at the end of the night.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

“THE EAST COAST TRANS AM SHOOTOUT”
Presented by “THE TRACK”

When: 11 Oct 2008 Where : “The Track”
Rules: Current USVTA 16806 Oakmont Ave.
Rules Gaithersburg, MD 20877

***"JACK THE GRIPPER" only tire treatment permitted***

SCHEDULE

Friday 10 Oct - Open Practice 1-9 P.M. (free with registration)
Saturday 11 Oct
0800 Doors open
0800 - 1030 Open Practice
1100 Drivers meeting
1130 Concours judging
1200 1st Round Starts

Format 3 rounds of 5 minute qualifiers
“resort/reshuffle” for 3rd round
8 minute mains
All starts “head up” with “Le Mans” grids
Entry Fee - $20.00

One Day, One Class, One Champ ….One Heck of a good Time !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“EAST COAST TRANS AM SHOOT OUT “ ENTRY FORM

NAME FREQ 1/ FREQ 2 Pers. Transp. #

__________________________________ _______/________ ___________________

Entry Fee: $20.00 Make Checks Payable to: “The Track”

THE TRACK Phone: (301) 417 - 9630
16806 Oakmont Ave Website: www.RCTrack.com
Gaithersburg, MD 20877 E-mail : mimithetrack@ yahoo.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
“The East Coast Trans Am Shootout”- our approach to the race

- This race is being designed to be enjoyed by the average “club racer”.
- This is not a fast guy /sponsored driver event. RC sponsor stickers won’t be allowed on the cars.
Remember we’re looking for cars that look like they raced Trans Am in the late ’60’s.
- We won’t announce any sponsors, except those who sponsor the event or make merchandise donations,
and you’ll hear plenty about them.
- This is a one day race, on what for many is a 3 day weekend (Columbus Day). You can come and race
without taking too big of a bite out of vacation / work or family time.
- We run on an indoor, carpet track with a AMB lap counting system. We do have “house” transponders , but they’re getting a little old and tired, so the use of personal transponders is highly encouraged.
- A new track layout will be set up the week of the race. It will be relatively fast and open, designed to encourage side- by- side racing and passing. It will not be a “technical” or “1/12th scale” design. If the thought of this type of layout bores you….then this probably isn’t your kind of race.
- For this race, “Jack the Gripper” will be the only “tire sauce” . It works and we’re trying to save everybody’s sinuses and what few brain cells we have left.
- We have an active Trans Am class (normally runs on Sunday) and support the U S Vintage Trans Am Association (USVTA). It is our intent to run this event in accordance with the USVTA rules which are in effect as of 1 September 2008 .
- Registration will be by “snail mail” (USPS) or in person, or phone call with credit card. No online/Paypal .
- Entries will probably limited to something on the order of 75 -100 racers. We’re still seeing how much we can “squeeze in “ to our current pit spaces. We’ve done 75 before, even 150 when hosting the 2000 ROAR Carpet Nationals, but we had to rent space next door to do that.

-Our motto for this event:
One Class, One Day, One Champ, One Heck of a Good Time !
Thank you for your attention,
“The Track” www.rctrack.com
Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Looking for a little help and insight on how many cars to run on a small indoor carpet track. As the USVTA class has grown at my local track, this is going to become an issue. 8 cars of varying skill level is about all my "home" track really can handle on a club night. We also have to factor in turn-marshals.

Here are some thoughts since we run Friday nights and time is a factor.
- Lower mains run 5 minutes with bump ups to higher main (winner or top 2)

- Lock top 6 racers in A-main based on qualifying and let the rest of the field battle it out for the remaining 2 spots in the B-main.

- Figure out a formula for A-main size based on total entries. For example:
8 or less cars - all run in A-main
09-12 : 6 cars in A-main (possible bump ups?)
13-16 : 7 or 8 cars in A-main set by qualifying (1 bump up?)
17+ : 3 or more mains (I hope we can get this much interest locally!)

I'm interested to hear how others have handled this type of situation in the past. Unfortunately with a smaller track and healthy turn-outs, not everyone can be in the A-main. I just want to make sure everyone goes home having a good time at the end of the night.

how about in true Trans-Am fashion....a FULL Field of 20 - Now wouldn't THAT make it an exciting event!~ (That's one of the things I'd love to bring into a VTA race...a LARGE Full Field)
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer

Simple, really. Let me be the last spot in every A main, unless I qualify in the top 5!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im hoping we can do a 20 car 50 lap race at the end of the day...with no marshalls...lol....if we had some it would be great but if not oh well...lol..maybe throw in some prizes to the top 5...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I'm making updates to the USVTA site today, so if your track is not listed on the site and is currently running the USVTA class, be sure to get the form filled out and submitted.

Also, if you have any changes to any existing listing, please send me the new information directly to: [email protected].

doug
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

TTT for tracks!!

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
I'm making updates to the USVTA site today, so if your track is not listed on the site and is currently running the USVTA class, be sure to get the form filled out and submitted.

Also, if you have any changes to any existing listing, please send me the new information directly to: [email protected].

doug
Old 08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vicko
“THE EAST COAST TRANS AM SHOOTOUT”
Presented by “THE TRACK”

One Class, One Day, One Champ, One Heck of a Good Time !
Hot Damn! Sounds perfect. Wish I could make it there from Chicago.

How's the whole crab near The Track there?

Buttery crabbed up fingers pulling body pins from a TA car, now that would be great racing!!!

Yum, zoom!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Q for the guys running in the VTA using the 21.5/LIPO option.

How much battery are you using? (How long are the races?)

With ORION's release of the NEW 2400 mAh lipo, that is available for less than $40.00 - how would something like this work out as a SPEC Lipo for this class?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Looking for tires and a body.

I am just trying to find something cheap for now to see if I like it. Mostly looking for a old body and some tires/rims that might have a little life yet to see if this is something I would like to do more, thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

i was using about 800mah per 5 min qualifying
Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

With ORION's release of the NEW 2400 mAh lipo, that is available for less than $40.00 - how would something like this work out as a SPEC Lipo for this class?
I ran this combo with 4900 mAh I can do three 5 min q and one 8 min main. Used up about 800~1300 mAh each run, depending on the track size and layout - also depending on how many cars up front I have to push them away LOL

With 2400 you can easily do 2 or 3 q if you don't mind going out on the track with less than 8.4 volt.

BTW I am hauling 1550 g on the weight.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah I am also interested to know this as well...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm using up about 1200 to 1400 mah for five minutes and 1800 or so for eight. That includes about four or five warm up laps and about a two to four minute wait to start.

I'm using a Novak SS21.5/GTB and either a Trinity 4500 LiPro or ProTek RC 4000 both are 20C in a TC3.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I was running the Core 3250 and there was no problems making time at all. Most of the time when I topped it off it took around 1800 (with warm up laps). It peaked quickly.

I think the Orion battery would be fine for racing. I can't see using more than 2400 even with an 8 minute race. At the USVTA Nationals, no one dumped in the 50 lap race, which went almost 10 minutes. I think most cars could have done close to 15 or 16 minutes, though they ran Nimh batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.