Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As far as running a 21.5 indoors at my local carpet track, I have found that I actually run better by not gearing the car to be as fast as the rules allow. The issue becomes usable speed at the track I race at. While I could go faster in a straight line, I haven't been able to find a setup that still turns on our tight layouts. Either I would have to slam the brakes every corner, coast 1/2 down the straight, or dramatically improve my setup skills. I've been using a 4.6-5.0 FDR for lipo/21.5 in my TC3 and have been happy with the performance overall. Again this is on a fairly small track with very tight corners.

I am curious on the HPI Pro-2 how you got rid of some of the slop in the front end of that car. On that car, I'm using plastic a-arm and caster blocks. I have graphite parts that I haven't gotten around to yet. The only pain with the HPI Pro-2 is having to run split-packs with 4-cell, unless you found a way around that.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
from the VTA Rules page:
Novak motor is the ONLY motor allowed at this time, because there are no ROAR mandates or restrictions for the 21.5 brushless motors. All house track rules regarding LiPo usage apply. Final drive ratio is to not exceed 4.2. Motor timing advance is allowed. 12.5 mm rotor diameter maximum (no "tuning" rotors are allowed).
I believe this word has lead to the confusion. more accurate would be "final drive ratio is to not be lower then 4.2. "

7 dictionary results for: EXCEED
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -ex·ceed /ɪkˈsid/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ik-seed] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to go beyond in quantity, degree, rate, etc.: to exceed the speed limit.
2. to go beyond the bounds or limits of: to exceed one's understanding.
3. to surpass; be superior to; excel: Her performance exceeded all the others.
–verb (used without object) 4. to be greater, as in quantity or degree.
5. to surpass others; excel or be superior.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Robk, just start with a good AE team posted rubber tire setup for 17.5/13.5, and tweak it from there. I'm also running VTA at the Classic, with my Cyclone. I prefer the one way in the front. Picked up .1-.2 sec on my best lap over a front diff, during my testing this past weekend.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
I believe this word has lead to the confusion. more accurate would be "final drive ratio is to not be lower then 4.2. "

7 dictionary results for: EXCEED
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -ex·ceed /ɪkˈsid/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ik-seed] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to go beyond in quantity, degree, rate, etc.: to exceed the speed limit.
2. to go beyond the bounds or limits of: to exceed one's understanding.
3. to surpass; be superior to; excel: Her performance exceeded all the others.
–verb (used without object) 4. to be greater, as in quantity or degree.
5. to surpass others; excel or be superior.
No, because a numerically-higher gear ratio is a lower ratio. In 1:1 for example, a car with a 4.56:1 rear axle ratio is geared lower than a car with a 3.55:1 rear axle ratio.

If any clarification were to be done the word "numerically" could be used, e.g. "Final drive ratio is not to be numerically lower than 4.2."

I think you should have referenced definition 2 before replying. (j/k just couldn't pass that one up!)
Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

By "exceed" it is meant that gearing up, which it is commonly called, would be to increase the pinion size to increase top speed of the car. Increasing the final drive ratio past 4.20 would be exceeding the limits.

Anything from 1:1 to 4.19 FDR is illegal. How's that?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
By "exceed" it is meant that gearing up, which it is commonly called, would be to increase the pinion size to increase top speed of the car. Increasing the final drive ratio past 4.20 would be exceeding the limits.

Anything from 1:1 to 4.19 FDR is illegal. How's that?
I know this kind of seems like a stupid discussion, but I have seen a lot of confusion among newer racers over it, and newer racers are a big part of the USVTA target audience. Rolleyes or not, spelling it out blatantly like that would eliminate the confusion and we could go back to arguing about important stuff like other 21.5 motors and rear spoilers (not to mention neon fades nash ).
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kregger
I would start with the box stock setup for rubber tire and go from there, you might have to use softer springs. I have my car setup with a 4-cell 17.5 and its pretty close to weight so I dont think you would have to add much. I personally use a oneway or a diff. At my track the spools seems to reduce steering.

If you get the chance set your car up at your track and then you should be able to fine tune it when you get to the gate. Thats prettymuch what I ended up doing. I'm looking foward to running VTA (real rules) for the first time.

If your curious I"m running a Pro-2.
Yo Kregger, how things? Are you guys running VTA a lot at 360? Just curious cause the holidays are coming and theres always a chance I may be in NY for a few days. If I do come up maybe I'll bring my VTA car.

I've been running asphalt ewith my VTA, but I use a spool in both my Cyclone and TC5, and the Cyclone even has the center one way. I plan on keeping it the same for when the carpet comes in. My TC5 is unproven on lap times, but I do think it's faster than my Cyclone. I'll find out this weekend.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

What are you confused about? Everything you said seems spot on. I can't find anything you typed that leads to us seeing any confusion on your part.
LOL - you're right...I wasn't confused, but I can see how the wording CAN confuse some people.

When you see it phased "Final drive ratio is to not exceed 4.2."
...guys (at least some) don't know what direction that means.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

FDR not to exceed 4.2
LIPO temo not to exceed 110 degrees....

words can mean many things.....
Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
rs.

I am curious on the HPI Pro-2
Some of our TA gurus take out any toe-in on the rear, Make it 0 degrees.

Just thought I'd throw that tidbit your way if you are making arm and chassis adjustments.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I know this kind of seems like a stupid discussion, but I have seen a lot of confusion among newer racers over it, and newer racers are a big part of the USVTA target audience. Rolleyes or not, spelling it out blatantly like that would eliminate the confusion and we could go back to arguing about important stuff like other 21.5 motors and rear spoilers (not to mention neon fades nash ).
I'm nearly 40 can't see and even with the neon it's all a fade to me anyway. someone gave me a white tc body to use I lost my car on the track.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Are the 6mm offset wheels mandetory on the rear?

Anyone running a TC3 w/o the 6mm offset wheels? Any rubbing problems?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

I'm nearly 40 can't see and even with the neon it's all a fade to me anyway. someone gave me a white tc body to use I lost my car on the track.
Back when we all crawled up your ass about the paint job and you claimed the "old age" defense I figured you meant you were pushing 70 or something! Nearly 40? Geez, I'm 36 -- don't make me feel like I'm getting old!!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I am curious on the HPI Pro-2 how you got rid of some of the slop in the front end of that car. On that car, I'm using plastic a-arm and caster blocks. I have graphite parts that I haven't gotten around to yet. The only pain with the HPI Pro-2 is having to run split-packs with 4-cell, unless you found a way around that.
Slop? I thought itwas a handling characteristic. Truth be told I haven't really gotten rid of any of it. It doesn't seem to affect the car at all. I changed the front camber links to standard ones for more adjustablity though. As for the split packs I run them split. Its nice if I run them in another car I can shift them for setup if I need to. If I'm running LIPO I just lay it across like a stick pack and tape them in, no problem.

Some of our TA gurus take out any toe-in on the rear, Make it 0 degrees.
Thanks for the advice if I find pro-2 blocks with that option I'll try it. I found that I have to run a softer rear end for traction to keep it from swinging out on me at the end of the straight on my track. I also run a oneway in the car, it helps through the turns.

Yo Kregger, how things? Are you guys running VTA a lot at 360? Just curious cause the holidays are coming and theres always a chance I may be in NY for a few days. If I do come up maybe I'll bring my VTA car.

I've been running asphalt ewith my VTA, but I use a spool in both my Cyclone and TC5, and the Cyclone even has the center one way. I plan on keeping it the same for when the carpet comes in. My TC5 is unproven on lap times, but I do think it's faster than my Cyclone. I'll find out this weekend.
Hey Rock. Things are cool up here. No there's no VTA at 360. I'm trying to get it going but everybody right now is just into speed. Ironically the one person I think I could get to run it would be Haynes, and maybe Haneluc. I"ll keep you posted.

I can see running the spool outdoors, but On a track like 360 the spool just doesn't pay.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by huskerdually
I'm not completely positive on what constitutes a 1/10 on-road chassis. Just wanted to double check.

I read the rules and checked out their website to double check them.
tc3
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-007.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.