Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Julius,

I use anti-wear grease on the splines to assist with remaining in the diff drives. I have stripped my fair share of TAO3 ball diff splines I now use a short length of fuel tube in place of the "o" ring. You just have to ensure you get no binding from the universal/dogbone when the suspension is altered. (Thanks Grandpa, for the Top Tip).

Michael,

We found today that the spool is not as fast at SMA as the gear diff or the ball diff. Great acceleration as you stated, however you lose to much corner speed.

Tyres and car setup also play a huge role in how fast you can be, especally when you factor in the drivers input.

However, I believe that a solution to the diff problem maybe only a couple of months away max. Can not say more.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
Julius,

I use anti-wear grease on the splines to assist with remaining in the diff drives. I have stripped my fair share of TAO3 ball diff splines I now use a short length of fuel tube in place of the "o" ring. You just have to ensure you get no binding from the universal/dogbone when the suspension is altered. (Thanks Grandpa, for the Top Tip).

Michael,

We found today that the spool is not as fast at SMA as the gear diff or the ball diff. Great acceleration as you stated, however you lose to much corner speed.

Tyres and car setup also play a huge role in how fast you can be, especally when you factor in the drivers input.

However, I believe that a solution to the diff problem maybe only a couple of months away max. Can not say more.

Later,

Calvin.
Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the info, I hope you had a great day's racing...

Will you be mini racing this friday night ?? If you are, i'll push to get there.
That would make for a decent 4/5 car battle for TQ !!!

Your little teaser sounds interesting, I wonder if it is along the lines of what i'm working on at the moment for my M-05 ??

Michael.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

ok im new to the on road scene. im getting a m03. any tips?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TraxxasPeter
ok im new to the on road scene. im getting a m03. any tips?
buy my car, save cash and have it ready race w/all the trick bits on it now instead of buyin upgrades as you hear about them or they finish in front of you in the 1st couple wks.

and if not my car, i suggest highly buyin some1s old TCS ride...much better way to go indeed and less $$$$. they are tricky lil things w/their own nuances, why not let some1 else take the headaches for you.

R
Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
buy my car, save cash and have it ready race w/all the trick bits on it now instead of buyin upgrades as you hear about them or they finish in front of you in the 1st couple wks.

and if not my car, i suggest highly buyin some1s old TCS ride...much better way to go indeed and less $$$$. they are tricky lil things w/their own nuances, why not let some1 else take the headaches for you.

R
im trading for one
Old 10-31-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1101
ebay (seriously)
hobbyking had them for $29, you can get them to email when back in stock
I do not know how or why I forgot to check ebay..?

i have now a motor coming from an ebay dealer... and it was very reasonable priced too.
SO thansk! very good and practical tip!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default M-03M Question

Hi. I ran an M-05 but still interested in getting an M03. My question is: Is it easy to convert an M-03M to the short version by simply not installing or removing the plastic insert that goes with it? Or do I have to purchase another part for me to do so. I want to run the old Mini Cooper body with it which I think is only for the short chassis. Thanks for any info guys. Edwin
Old 10-31-2010, 04:55 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by efm2
Hi. I ran an M-05 but still interested in getting an M03. My question is: Is it easy to convert an M-03M to the short version by simply not installing or removing the plastic insert that goes with it? Or do I have to purchase another part for me to do so. I want to run the old Mini Cooper body with it which I think is only for the short chassis. Thanks for any info guys. Edwin
you just need to remove the chassis spacer and that's it
Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcr
you just need to remove the chassis spacer and that's it
Thanks for the reply jcr. Much appreciated
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, after years of running M03s, I have finally put my first M05 together. It's all bearings and has Tamiya aluminum steering link 54192. It runs great and the steering is dead on. I couldn't be happier with it, BUT, the black can motor is pretty lazy.

So tonight I ordered the Hobbywing 35a 13t motor/ESC combo from Hong Kong after doing some research in this thread. You guys are a big help on here. Not sure how long it will take to get here (I'm in California).

Anyway, my question is.... It looks like the shaft is longer on the Hobbywing motor than on the Sport Tuned... Will I have to do some chassis modding to accommodate the longer shaft? And one more... Is the fan for the ESC really necessary? Temps in this part of California can easily get over 100f in the summer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackMini
Well, after years of running M03s, I have finally put my first M05 together. It's all bearings and has Tamiya aluminum steering link 54192. It runs great and the steering is dead on. I couldn't be happier with it, BUT, the black can motor is pretty lazy.

So tonight I ordered the Hobbywing 35a 13t motor/ESC combo from Hong Kong after doing some research in this thread. You guys are a big help on here. Not sure how long it will take to get here (I'm in California).

Anyway, my question is.... It looks like the shaft is longer on the Hobbywing motor than on the Sport Tuned... Will I have to do some chassis modding to accommodate the longer shaft? And one more... Is the fan for the ESC really necessary? Temps in this part of California can easily get over 100f in the summer.

Thanks in advance.
Black mini,

Nope no mods required, the Hobbywing motor fits straight in. Just make sure you use the pinion mounting thingy that comes with the kit.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlackMini

Thanks in advance.
I run mine without a fan. Simply not enough load on the motor to warrant it (in a mini). Out here in the Wild West , summer gets a lot hotter than that . That's < 38* C. So you're pretty safe to leave it off.

I've heard of guys running their speedy inside the rear chassis extension on the m03.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MICHAEL BROWN
I've heard of guys running their speedy inside the rear chassis extension on the m03.
I do that - and there isn't room for the fan, so I took it off. I have no heat problems at all, even when I drive for 20 mins and have installed the 3Racing fast gear set (indoor on carpet with wide foam tires).

Cheers,
Peter

Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Peter $
I do that - and there isn't room for the fan, so I took it off. I have no heat problems at all, even when I drive for 20 mins and have installed the 3Racing fast gear set (indoor on carpet with wide foam tires).

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks for the pic - exactly what I meant !
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tam M05 ball diff, 54194

What are your views on Tamiya M05 ball diff 54194, is it ok with out mods, or do you need to change some of the parts. Only ever used gear diff so far, but clubs I race at in UK now allow ball diff’s. Have a 3-racing ball diff as well but waiting for mod parts before I use it.
thank you in advance
Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.