Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StoneMan
I should also add that in Canada we also have the following rule:
"3. Kit type closed-end bell, silver can motor only. Motors must not perform better that a 1.3amp draw at 2volts on a Peak or Orion Motor Performance Monitor. Motors will be checked throughout the race day. This is being done to tighten up the racing and encourage new racers to join this low cost type of racing!"

I was at the TCS finals in 2005 in California and it would be interseting to apply this rule to some of those Minis

HA!!!!!!!!

Kidding!!!!!

And yes.. because the same guy wins all the time.. and I have raced against him (Jerry) I can't even be bothered to enter.

That does raise one more question. This series is supposed to be for non-sponsored racers. How is Jerry Mann sooo good and I mean this guy wins almost every race let alone the series, and yet is not sponsored.. or we have not booted him... LOL!!! again.. kidding. BUT SERIOUSLY!!!

James
Old 02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
Ok.....so back to my original question awhile back......being a rookie......how do the officials tech the diff's??? Do they hold a wheel and check if there's any action in the diff??? If you can pretty much lock the diff with shims, blue tack, tar or whatever else a guy can find.....why would people want to run a one way in the first place??? Wouldn't it save the large gray area debate for the Tamiya officials to simply state....diffs must be run box original with Tamiya lube???? JMO

VERY GOOD QUESTION??

BTW - I would not say you can almost lock the diff.. you CAN tighten it quite a bit.... BUT yeah.. they do feel it.. after a heat. I think there is also a rule that those finishing in TOP (whatever) get their cars tech'd. Correct?

James
Old 02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
HA!!!!!!!!

Kidding!!!!!

And yes.. because the same guy wins all the time.. and I have raced against him (Jerry) I can't even be bothered to enter.

That does raise one more question. This series is supposed to be for non-sponsored racers. How is Jerry Mann sooo good and I mean this guy wins almost every race let alone the series, and yet is not sponsored.. or we have not booted him... LOL!!! again.. kidding. BUT SERIOUSLY!!!

James
It's hard to beat Jerry. His driving is flawless. As you know by now one mistake, one wide turn or bump in Mini is almost imposible to make up.
Wow, a sponsored Mini driver. umm let me think about that
Motors.....1.3amp @ 2V.... no advantage there
Tires........ Tamiya spec......ditto
Batteries.......2400NiCad Peak.....no not that
Does having a sponsor make someone a good driver?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by StoneMan
Does having a sponsor make someone a good driver?

NOPE! but it gets him out of the Championship.. lol REALLY I AM KIDDING!

James
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stone they changed the rule after you were there. All the silver/black can motors(winners) are being teched as they come off the track.

I know Tom (Borgfeldt) has advocated the 1-way for years up there. Down here stateside it has never been allowed along with no spools.

Jerry Mann is just plain a good driver. It would be good to see him down again with a chance to go to Japan. I also think Tom has the same ruling on sponsors as we rule do here. Support is fine flights around the country and hotel rooms bad.

While I hated the battery rule Tom put in, it has made the classes that run it alot more interesting. It definately puts a premium on clean driving and cornerspeed setup for the chassis.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Difuser
Stone they changed the rule after you were there. All the silver/black can motors(winners) are being teched as they come off the track.

I know Tom (Borgfeldt) has advocated the 1-way for years up there. Down here stateside it has never been allowed along with no spools.

Jerry Mann is just plain a good driver. It would be good to see him down again with a chance to go to Japan. I also think Tom has the same ruling on sponsors as we rule do here. Support is fine flights around the country and hotel rooms bad.

While I hated the battery rule Tom put in, it has made the classes that run it alot more interesting. It definately puts a premium on clean driving and cornerspeed setup for the chassis.
I did question Tamiya USA regarding the use of a 1-way and the response was:

Dear Tamiya Customer,

One-way diffs are allowed in Mini class? That I haven't heard of. No,
they
are not allowed in the U.S., a one-way diff is not a designated hop-up
for
the M-Chassis.

Tamiya America
Customer Service

That of course doesn't mean that they aren't allowed in Canada but it appears that Tamiya USA never even heard of them being allowed by anyone. My personal stance is that they shouldn't be allowed at all since it does take away from the spirit of everyone pretty much having the same car but I guess Tamiya Canada disagrees.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What I cant understand is why everyone is so keen to run a one-way in a Mini for anyway?
From our experience it makes a sweet-handling little car into a major handful!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tony gray
What I cant understand is why everyone is so keen to run a one-way in a Mini for anyway?
From our experience it makes a sweet-handling little car into a major handful!
I don't know if everyone really is keen on using a 1-way themselves, I think it's more about wanting to confirm/deny the legality of a 1-way in Canadian TCS rules. Some people drive REALLY well with 1-ways while others (like me) can't get a car around a track with one and it could allow an advantage to someone who can drive using a 1-way. Everyone just wants an advantage or wants to make sure someone isn't getting an advantage outside the rules.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah. I have been offered the one way from another driver at the track that tried it, just to give it a go and see if I like it.

I dont like one-ways in my TC.. so I am sure I wont like it in my Mini.

I just need to drive better lines more consistantly, carry more speed through the corners.

yes, locking up my diff might help that more.. but a 1way I am sure would not.

The only reason I can come up with is that.. the 1way is an option for the TA03 ball diff.. The TA03 diff is an option for the car... The 1way is not an option for the car.. UNLESS you have the TA03 in it.. er-go.. it is legal because the item it is an option for is also legal. You are using it with the part is was intended.. and the part being changed.. is allowed in the car??????

My guess at a rational.

Anyway.. Need to rebuild my shocks again with 80wt all around.. seems to be the way everyone is going. I have whites up front and blues in the rear. S-grips up front and Type As in the rear.. Seems the same as the M04 Jam-ezh put up..
Getting 2400s with more PUNCH is my bigger problem.. my batteries last the races ok.. but loose PUNCH quickly.

Do most people subscribe to Higher AMP charge.. more punch?

James
Old 02-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Hey, thanks for the props! Glad to hear it served you well!

I still have that same setup on my car, will be using it for the TCS race this Saturday.. wish me luck! See if we can make it 2 for 2! It's gonna be some crazy stiff competition here in T.O.
Good luck at your race.

Any chance you could post a large picture of your car/chassis? Is it the one in your avatar?

Thanks
Rod
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slotcarrod
Good luck at your race.

Any chance you could post a large picture of your car/chassis? Is it the one in your avatar?

Thanks
Rod
Yup, that one's quite an older pic, that ESC had since burned out on me, but here goes.. included the bodies as well, though they're nowhere near that condition now..
I'll see about a newer pic next race, though pics come up way better when taken outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-tamiya-m-04m-3-sm.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-tamiya-m-04m-alfa-sm.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-tamiya-m-04m-miata-sm.jpg  
Old 02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Batteries, Batteries, Batteries...

Just wanted to gat an opinion on what was the best 'bang-for-the-buck' battery out there now?.. I have Venom's 4600 NiMh stick pack now... but they are illegal for TCS (4600)..

Lets have it... What are some of your fav's....
Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

O- I think SMC has some prebuilt 4200 Sticks. Locally alot of the guys are still running the Tamiya GP3300 sticks as they are low cost $$$. The SMC sxs prebuilt I think we sell for $43 up here not sure what a Stick is.

We also have a few who build the 4200 matched into a factory look stick pack.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

O- you can build any decent matched pack into a stick pack and it will probably be better than just about anything you can buy. Just figure out a way to equalize the cells before use and it will last as long as an equivalent side by side pack. Otherwise you'll quickly lose any advantage from quality cells...
Old 02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Can I use the TA04 ball diff on my MO3? If yes, do I need some more parts in order to use it or can I just put it in then use it right away?

Thanks. . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.