Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New XRAY 808

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

I wonder how the graphite shock towers and ackerman will hold up. Any other manufacturer make them like that?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

There have been after market carbon fiber towers for the Thunder Tiger that held up very well. Xray is known for good materials so it shouldn't be an issue. If it is you can bet the aftermarket will fix it in a week.

It does seem VERY losi like (geometry, steering knuckle configuration, shocks, etc) but with more conventional engine placement and the Xray drivetrain. Should be a winner if it's reasonably priced. They will have a hard time getting the $650 that most buggies launch for with so little machined alloy bling on it but I bet the car will run very well.

Anybody want to buy my EC?

If there is anything that's a turnoff it's the multiple bearing sizes this car will take. I liked the simplicity of cars that use one bearing size. Not a big deal though.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default new xray 808

hey all:I was woundering too about all the carbon parts on this new 1/8th buggy,but i don't think x-ray would release it if they didn't think it was durable enough,easy to work on and had the performance they were looking for?Finally there are companies such as xtreme racing and a few others that offer carbon shock towers and they claim they perform well.Real world race conditions will be the ultimate test though.Just my thoughts thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

When is this bad boy gonna be for sale?? Im gonna have to make the switch!!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The shock towers are graphite and the engine position is just like the Losi with the center diff reversed and offset to the side. I'm really thinking that this car has some Asian parts in it with the spring steel metal parts. You be hard pressed to find anything now that isn't made in Taiwan or China in this business. The EDS tools have the spring steel look and hardness but come from China.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The shock towers are graphite and the engine position is just like the Losi with the center diff reversed and offset to the side. I'm really thinking that this car has some Asian parts in it with the spring steel metal parts. You be hard pressed to find anything now that isn't made in Taiwan or China in this business. The EDS tools have the spring steel look and hardness but come from China.
XRAY is SWISS made. i highly doubt they source out to TIAWAN or CHINA
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Swiss made chassis, thats what is stated, not anywhere else. Remember Losi got in trouble for tagging Made in USA on china parts? I know of a UK company in the automotive business that is highly respected and when my friend recieved an order of parts from them, it wasn't from the UK. It was dropped shipped from Asia. They confronted the owner in UK and he had nothing to say. I'm in the automotive business. If you think these RC companies are selling you only European made products, your so sadly mistaken. Look at french Medial Pro. Its now back up and based in Hong Kong with the the new owner, under the same name. With the current economy, every manufacturer is running to china and taiwan to make more profit by cutting there bottm line costs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure this Xray 808 is top quality, but dont think everything is what is used to be. It works out better for the end user. Lower prices is what we are all looking for.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Swiss made chassis, thats what is stated, not anywhere else. Remember Losi got in trouble for tagging Made in USA on china parts? I know of a UK company in the automotive business that is highly respected and when my friend recieved an order of parts from them, it wasn't from the UK. It was dropped shipped from Asia. They confronted the owner in UK and he had nothing to say. I'm in the automotive business. If you think these RC companies are selling you only European made products, your so sadly mistaken. Look at french Medial Pro. Its now back up and based in Hong Kong with the the new owner, under the same name. With the current economy, every manufacturer is running to china and taiwan to make more profit by cutting there bottm line costs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure this Xray 808 is top quality, but dont think everything is what is used to be. It works out better for the end user. Lower prices is what we are all looking for.
i just don't think there spring steel would be metal with a bronze color. that's like there trademark
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Have you seen or own EDS tools? They have the same bronze coating. I not sure if its the same composite, but it is hard steel. The Hudy spring steel I knew from Serpent would turn black or dark.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Have you seen or own EDS tools? They have the same bronze coating. I not sure if its the same composite, but it is hard steel. The Hudy spring steel I knew from Serpent would turn black or dark.
to be honest i've never even heard of EDS tools. Integy claims there tips are spring steel but i think we all know they're just referring to the color of the tips
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I read in one of Juraij Hudy's columns that they expanded their headquarters to now include molding machines, swiss mills, and their "super secret" method of turning the shafts, and yada, yada, yada, here you see the results.

I would expect this thing to still be 650$, if not more (at first)
Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

[QUOTE=ezveedub;4156068]The shock towers are graphite and the engine position is just like the Losi with the center diff reversed and offset to the side. QUOTE]

The engine is in the conventional position. The diff is also the same location (spur to the back). The pictures on one of the links above provides a better view of the drivetrain than the Neo-Buggy photos. Seems like a really well thought out design. It won't require special clutch bells though it might have truggy gear ratios (xray drivers use this setup but I don't see it anywhere in the features list). Very nice.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
I read in one of Juraij Hudy's columns that they expanded their headquarters to now include molding machines, swiss mills, and their "super secret" method of turning the shafts, and yada, yada, yada, here you see the results.

I would expect this thing to still be 650$, if not more (at first)

Guess you found your new car!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Champion

i'm sure the car will have better setups since Brian Kinwald will be running the car
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Guess you found your new car!
It's got the quality of Xray. Big +

They also mention "aluminum higepin holders for the ultra high competition driver"...it is my opinion that they should include BOTH the aluminum stuff and the composite stuff IN THE KIT!!!!

Did anyone notice the different servo saver braces and center diff top plate in the pictures:

1.) Carbonfiber/graphite

2.) molded composite (ala Losi)

which do you think are the production pieces?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.