Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: MILES PER GALLON

I was getting over 14mins on the D5

Don't get me wrong I love the engine, just the black piston is saying "no no no"
Old 08-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default black piston

so what causes the black stuff on the piston? is it cabon??

jason
Old 08-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Nitro Tech

Default Re: Hey dino, some photos..

Originally posted by au_Nightmare
Dino, a photo is worth a thousand words so..
First 2 are the top of the piston after about 40 - 50mins of racing. 3rd is after rub with rag to show what was easy to remove and whats stuck. (Piston was cleaned day b4 racing) Max temp I got was 210F, the other time I check after 14mins solid driving it was around 190F - 200F (sometimes less, like 185F, not sure now, temps checked with Infra Red probe)
Richer HSN - after a number of laps engine would cut out when applying throttle.

Running Medium OS plug, mid range is already 1/2 turn in, should I lean mid range further, maybe colder plug?
Maybe LSN too rich (does not seem like it though) causing me to run a lean HSN?
Going from internet weather station air temp was 8.1deg C at 10am, 14deg C at 3pm so 200F seems ok for temp?
Your engine was a little too lean. At 8~14C I will use hot plug and richer HSN. When you rich the HSN and your engine will cut out after some laps that means the plug is too cold.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Tech Master

I had been using hot plug but switched to medium in attempt to chase issue. I have changed pipe/tank pressure arrangement so I will have more of a play
Old 08-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dino,

Can you advise if the induction port height is supposed to be uneven on one side? I noticed that the port height is uneven and decided to measure with my calipers.

One of the induction ports is .2mm higher near the boost port than it is near the exhaust port. Other induction port is the same height across the port.

Can you explain if this is correct or just manufacturing tolerance?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default sts

can anyone reccomend a good flywheel/shaft but/clutch setup for a sts d5

are all sg sgafts the same diameter?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by Z00M
Dino,

Can you advise if the induction port height is supposed to be uneven on one side? I noticed that the port height is uneven and decided to measure with my calipers.

One of the induction ports is .2mm higher near the boost port than it is near the exhaust port. Other induction port is the same height across the port.

Can you explain if this is correct or just manufacturing tolerance?
Yes,it is manufacturing tolerance.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Nitro Tech

Default Re: sts

Originally posted by Rabbit
can anyone reccomend a good flywheel/shaft but/clutch setup for a sts d5

are all sg sgafts the same diameter?
What is your car? Its instruction manual should list the default setting.
same diameter? No. It may have different design. It has the same size in front of front bearing only.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by dino.tw
Yes,it is manufacturing tolerance.
Seems like a large tolerance.

Oh well, I guess we now know the answer to the leaking carbs if there is a .2mm tolerance in any part that deals with fuel delivery.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Nitro Tech

Seems like a large tolerance.

Oh well, I guess we now know the answer to the leaking carbs if there is a .2mm tolerance in any part that deals with fuel delivery.
I knew you dose not really need help. I knew you just want to see predicament of STS. From all of your questions I knew it already. OK,you got it.

Why I started this thread is want to give service to who real need it. I knew there are many dealers hiding all over here. I knew some other guys also want to see STS's joke. In my opinion we don't need to tread on other's head for climbing up. So I almost never appear on other brands threads. It is one kind of esteem. Of course I knew all problems of all brands but I don't want to talk. I don't need to put down somebody to show people that I'm knowledgeably. I'm a traditional Chinese. We think highly of propriety.

Don't blame me why I didn't reply your dealership request. STS want to develop step by step. We don't rush. To produce a better engine is more important to us at the moment. We study engine day and night. The progress speed is terrible. But if production can't catch up with selling,there is no use. That is why I don't want to extend our selling net now. I would like to say sorry to you,buddy.

Don't know what engine you are selling now. Anyway,I still bless you. If you real need help,I'll be there always.

Sincerely,
Dino
Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

I'm not sure why you are taking offense Dino. While I may not be being terribly respectful in your eyes, it is only through frustration, not because I am selling some other engine or whatever. I don't sell any engines at this time. I am in fact a customer.

My frustration also comes from your lack of help in regard to this. If you wanted to speak privately I would have been happy to do so. But to just say 'tough luck it's manufacturing tolerance' is not telling anyone how you are trying to improve the product.

I have had to turn to another motor tuner to try and get some answers on how to best resolve the issue of my motor having a 3.75 degrees difference in port open/close due to .2mm 'manufacturing tolerance'.

I would like to work with you in making the product better but when you offer no advice, there isn't much I can do.

Customer service is what keeps people interrested in a product as much as performance does.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wink

I'm a happy STS engine customer. My opinion might not be fair to ZOOM, but If I were you, I would contact Geoff and ask him for a replacement. He definitely will be glad to help you out. There's no other R/C engine company like STS can do this kind of service. Besides, Geoff at ProjectZen is a very nice guy. He can provide immediately help or advice by giving him a phone call. Dino is more like a mentor here to share his experience. Anyway, this thread is to help the STS customers to solve any problem and also to help STS to collect customers' feedback in order to improve their products.

Chill guys. Bring your R/C car to the track and have some fun. After you come home, logon here and share your experience to all the STS customers.

Peace out.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
http://www.projectzen.net there here in the US
Do these people answer email? Should I go through Calandra instead? I just need to get replacement bearings in my engine, and it doesn't really matter to me who has them, even if it's from another company. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Customer service is what keeps people interrested in a product as much as performance does.
It's one of the reasons why I bought the D5R
Old 08-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally posted by ImGoinRCn
Do these people answer email? Should I go through Calandra instead? I just need to get replacement bearings in my engine, and it doesn't really matter to me who has them, even if it's from another company. Thanks for any and all help.
I'm sure your going to have to call eather place to purchase I would call Projectzen and then call CRC to get it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.