R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #1816
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
From early in thread
"if you run 16% you need to take out the cooper shim which is 0.2mm the aluminium shim is 0.3mm."

I tried using the copper on my D5 (when it was almost 1 year old). It killed a hot then cold plug pretty much straight away + damaged the sleeve. This is using 15% nitro. I'll stick with 0.3mm (the aluminium ones) I think
yup, I'm running 16% nitro and my d5r is fully run in now just a little snug at tdc, so tomorrow I will be taking it apart for inspection and to remove the copper .2mm shim. Then pop a new hot plug in and lean it out a little and see how this bad boy rips!!! cant wait!!!
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #1817
Tech Regular

Quote:
I tried using the copper on my D5 (when it was almost 1 year old). It killed a hot then cold plug pretty much straight away + damaged the sleeve. This is using 15% nitro. I'll stick with 0.3mm (the aluminium ones) I think
I just read that again, you damaged the sleeve also!?!? thats only a difference of 0.1mm! so you then ran the 0.3mm shim and there was a happy ending right?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #1818
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
From early in thread
"if you run 16% you need to take out the cooper shim which is 0.2mm the aluminium shim is 0.3mm."

Hey guys be carefull. STS makes a Kit with (1) Aluminum 0.30mm shim, (1) 0.20mm and (1) 0.10mm copper shims. Not all copper shims are 0.20mm, and stock engines come with 0.30mm aluminum shim and 0.10mm copper shim, for a toatl of 0.40mm, good for 30% nitro. If you run 20% nitro you take the 0.10mm copper shim and run the engine with 0.30mm aluminum shim. If you run the engine with 16% nitro you must get the 0.20mm copper shim.

So what happened with your engine is that you probably used the 0.10mm copper shim and was way over compressed for 16% nitro and you started to blow plugs.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #1819
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi
Hey guys, how many shims are you using on your STS D3R's for 16% nitro ? ...
Pato

For 16% nitro, you use the 0.20mm copper shim, and that is how I sent you the engine. Plus considering that Santiago is at around 500 to 600 msn above sea level, it is fine.
If you switch to 20% nitro you must remove the 0.20mm shim and put the aluminum 0.30mm shim that went in the box with the engine.

AFM
Old 07-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #1820
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Thanks Alfonso ... the question i posted here was because im trying to get info on different brand of engine to try to solve the problem of my friend Andres with a Mega ZX12 ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #1821
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
Hey guys be carefull. STS makes a Kit with (1) Aluminum 0.30mm shim, (1) 0.20mm and (1) 0.10mm copper shims. Not all copper shims are 0.20mm, and stock engines come with 0.30mm aluminum shim and 0.10mm copper shim, for a toatl of 0.40mm, good for 30% nitro. If you run 20% nitro you take the 0.10mm copper shim and run the engine with 0.30mm aluminum shim. If you run the engine with 16% nitro you must get the 0.20mm copper shim.

So what happened with your engine is that you probably used the 0.10mm copper shim and was way over compressed for 16% nitro and you started to blow plugs.

AFM
Hey AFM, I dont like questioning a guy that really knows his stuff when it comes to nitro motors, but sts state for a 16% fuel use a 0.3mm shim and for 20% use 0.4mm shims. Also I was told the d3r's and d5r's come with a .3mm and .2mm shim, you get told one thing and another by someone else I guess it is feasible to assume sts would try and keep it consistent and send out all there motor with the same shims? I will find out 4 sure as soon as I strip the motor and get the micrometer on them.

Cheers
Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #1822
Tech Master

My D5 and D3R came with:
0.3mm alum. and 0.2mm copper. I just went and double checked.

I have the shim kit, thats the only 0.1mm shim I have.
So I was blowing plugs and damaged sleeve using 0.2mm 15% on a D5.
(engine still runs ok with sleeve damage, won the 1hr race with it lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
stock engines come with 0.30mm aluminum shim and 0.10mm copper shim, for a toatl of 0.40mm.

AFM
Hesky yes, 0.1mm diff can and will matter. For me 0.3mm = happy, 0.2mm = almost instant damage to engine.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #1823
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi
Thanks Alfonso ... the question i posted here was because im trying to get info on different brand of engine to try to solve the problem of my friend Andres with a Mega ZX12 ...

Pato

Andres has sent me an e-mail telling me the whole story, and asking me some questions regarding his engine. I have answered him and asked him some quetsions about his procedures of measurement, please talk with him and see that he answers my doubts. I'm sending you an e-mail with his quetions and my answers. Lets see if we vcan solve it together.

AFM
Old 07-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #1824
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
Hey AFM, I dont like questioning a guy that really knows his stuff when it comes to nitro motors, but sts state for a 16% fuel use a 0.3mm shim and for 20% use 0.4mm shims. Also I was told the d3r's and d5r's come with a .3mm and .2mm shim, you get told one thing and another by someone else I guess it is feasible to assume sts would try and keep it consistent and send out all there motor with the same shims? I will find out 4 sure as soon as I strip the motor and get the micrometer on them.

Cheers
It is true, but i did get some engines with the 0.10mm copper shim, so it is best to check before running an engine. I allways dissamble every engine I use, and check for debris, measure shims, and then clean it well with benzine, then lubricate everything and assemble it back, before running.

As per what shims to use with different fuels, this is from STS, but don't forget they are giving you a plus or minus 0.10mm for every condition, and that is to adjust depending on altitude, air density, temperature, humidity, etc., so maybe 0.20mm may or may not work for everybody, but it works for me under my ambient conditions. You have to try and find the best, because it is not a closed rule.

We suggest that you use at least 0.3 mm head shim. You may need to adjust the thickness of head shim for best performance. These are our guidelines.
FUEL Total thickness of head shim
- Up to 16% Nitro 0.3 mm (0.1 mm)
- 20% Nitro 0.4 mm (0.1 mm)
- More Than 25% Nitro 0.5 mm (0.1 mm)

AFM
Old 07-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #1825
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
As per what shims to use with different fuels, this is from STS, but don't forget they are giving you a plus or minus 0.10mm for every condition, and that is to adjust depending on altitude, air density, temperature, humidity, etc., so maybe 0.20mm may or may not work for everybody, but it works for me under my ambient conditions. You have to try and find the best, because it is not a closed rule.
Yeah thats a good point there is of course that tolerance which I overlooked, takes into account those variable you mention like air density, temp etc...
I like the fact when you built pato's engine you took into account where he lives and how hi relative to sea level and tuned his engine accordingly, thats pretty smart

I will try 0.3mm 1st as I'm not that hi up and its still summer, and yeah the sun does shine in the UK sometimes!

Cheers
Old 07-22-2005, 08:10 AM   #1826
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun
Default d12x

Hey dino how can I get my hands on that new motor the D12X. Stop keeping the secret from me I want one .
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:46 AM   #1827
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxshogun
Hey dino how can I get my hands on that new motor the D12X. Stop keeping the secret from me I want one .
You knew too much secrects so that I have to kill u....
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:52 AM   #1828
Tech Fanatic

LOL AMG racer posted it on the r40 page. When might it officially come out? I need a 3port motor so I was leaning toward a D3r or this new motor.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #1829
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino.tw
You knew too much secrects so that I have to kill u....
Yeah Dino, we must send our 007 agent to silence him....jajajajaja

AFM
Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #1830
Tech Fanatic